Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:22:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Renewing a Senior Railcard problem  (Read 2426 times)
layclerk54

View Profile Email
« on: July 09, 2022, 12:23:43 »

I wonder if anybody could help me. I have been trying to renew a Senior railcard for my wife...a three year one...online. She doesn't want a virtual one but the card version. I have been on the National Rail site and filled in all the details until the sign in /register page. Then I encounter a 500 error notification and a 'something went wrong' statement . I don't think it is me as the page says that they are 'working on it'. Thing is, I keep getting this page and if you go on Facebook there are similar experiences posted going back to 1st of June. Please could anybody out there explain what I have done wrongly....or could any kind soul send me a link that works. I am no conspiracy theorist but i am beginning to sense they don't want me to have one. Thanks for reading this.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 12:42:14 »

I wonder if anybody could help me. I have been trying to renew a Senior railcard for my wife...a three year one...online. She doesn't want a virtual one but the card version. I have been on the National Rail site and filled in all the details until the sign in /register page. Then I encounter a 500 error notification and a 'something went wrong' statement . I don't think it is me as the page says that they are 'working on it'. Thing is, I keep getting this page and if you go on Facebook there are similar experiences posted going back to 1st of June. Please could anybody out there explain what I have done wrongly....or could any kind soul send me a link that works. I am no conspiracy theorist but i am beginning to sense they don't want me to have one. Thanks for reading this.

Have you tried contacting National Rail and making them aware/asking for assistance?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 13:16:48 »

Railcards so have their own help on Twitter, if you are also a twitter user. They may have their own email help too?

It wouldn’t surprise me to find the 3 year version is only via the Railcard app…so virtual only
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 15:05:27 »

Try using a different Browser - it's surprising how often that does the trick.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 15:43:53 »

How did you/your wife purchase her current railcard? If you purchased it online through www.railcard.co.uk, you should already have an account, so all you need to do is log in and the renewal is already prepared for you. I had no problem renewing both my own and my wife's earlier this year.
layclerk54

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 14:11:28 »

Thank you for all your kind and helpful responses. In the end I managed via phone and was helped by an amazingly patient salesperson who was EXCELLENT! But how I wish that I had known that I could have phoned in the first place; the web page I found said that this was not possible!! Thank you everybody.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 11:38:19 »

What's the number? I need to renew a card.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 14:41:15 »

When discussing Senior Railcards with several friends who have recently achieved the certain age, none of them knew of the 20% discount off the price of a one year Senior railcard available to Devon residents. You simply have to ask the Concessionary Travel Team at Devon County Council to supply you with a code to enter on the Railcard website. The discount is not available at station ticket offices.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 09:28:29 »

And using Tesco Clubcard points, many railcards - including my Senior Railcard - can be purchased for £10: a considerable saving on the cover price.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 10:33:25 »

And using Tesco Clubcard points, many railcards - including my Senior Railcard - can be purchased for £10: a considerable saving on the cover price.

Indeed, and I think you can use them for other people to buy theirs too. Only one-year railcards can be bought, which is an annoyance if you want to link the railcard to an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) (until the rather vaguely promised upgrade to allow that to be done on-line).
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 04:32:00 »

Would anyone know if there any other current discount(or free) ways to obtain a senior railcard?
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 18:59:42 »

It would appear that National Rail has still not bothered to fix their website/or App over the last few weeks.  I cannot renew my (virtual) Railcard - my idea (above) doesn't work for me either ! I keep getting an "unexpected issue" - except it isn't unexpected after first dozen attempts !

According to the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) you don't have to verify yourself if you are renewing - no one seems to have told the website - it asks me for everything, name, rank, official number, 30 digit passport number, the middle name of my Uncle Fred's pet frog ...............and it still doesn't work. No bother - I'll send an email to the helpline, that'll sort it...............if I wait 10 days   Angry 

Do they actually want anyone to use the trains nowadays  ?  except at full fare of course....................
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 19:24:26 »

I’ve heard that Trsinline sre offering a discount on some rsilcards via their app, where your railcard will reside. Yet to check it out, but includes Senior Railcards I think. Offer until end of this month
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 20:48:39 »

I’ve heard that Trsinline sre offering a discount on some rsilcards via their app, where your railcard will reside. Yet to check it out, but includes Senior Railcards I think. Offer until end of this month

While you were typing that I was trawling through the web. Found the Trainline offer and bought a 1 year card for £20 - first time I have ever bought anything from Trainline ! Unlike National Rail the Trainline App worked faultlessly.  Not sure if the £10 discount paid for all the cursing at National Rail though......
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 20:54:18 »

My 3 year version expires early next month so I’m likely to throw away a few days & renew through Trainline at the snd if this month. The £10 discount is enough to persuade me not to renew for abother 3year version saving a further £10 over the term
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: