Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:40:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: services cancelled is there a published list?  (Read 1003 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2022, 07:47:33 »

question as in the header
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 07:58:19 »

question as in the header

which is "services cancelled is there a published list?" ...

No single list, I don't think - it depends on when they were cancelled.

* Some services are cancelled permanently or until an alternative is provided - such as the through trains from Trowbridge to places like London (Waterloo) and Brighton, the "super fasts" from Bristol to London, the Bristol to Manchester service, etc

* Some services are cancelled weeks ahead because of engineering works, or because the trains that would normally be used are diverted onto services for Glastonbury or the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

* Some services are cancelled a few days ahead for reasons such as industrial action or predicted extreme weather

* Some services are cancelled overnight when it turns out that the rail industry doesn't have enough people to actually run them, or not enough trains in working condition, or there's predicted flooding of the line on the Looe branch or something.

* And some services are cancelled "on the fly" - points or level crossing failure, train broken down, staff member taken in, person hit by train, etc

Sorry - no single list.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:08:42 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 16:53:51 »

And then there are trains shown as running on time which become cancelled after their due time.

Train in shown as on time on station's screens, then when its running time arrives, the screen suddenly shows it running a few minutes late. After a few minutes it then shows many minutes late, and after many minutes passes, it suddenly shows it as 'cancelled'.

This has happened a few times when I've been waiting at Oldfield Park over the years. I assume in each case, it was late running train that it was decided to run through the station without stopping. It is certainly very frustrating.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 20:10:21 »

I have a couple of unusual cancellation tales

About a year ago my old school friend who now lives in Berlin was over in the UK (United Kingdom) and announced that he’d never travelled on the Melksham line and, as he was going to be in Chippenham anyway I tagged along with him. The plan was to go down on the 1310 or so ex-CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) and come back on the 1415 or so. The first leg went like clockwork.

We got back in the train at Westbury. The booked departure time came; the booked departure time went. After about 10 minutes the TM(resolve) came on the PA (Public Address) saying that there was an incident between Chippenham and Swindon and that the train would terminate at Chippenham. It idly crossed my mind that that might have caused a platform occupation problem at Chippenham.

A few minutes later the TM came on again to say the train was now cancelled and we should travel via Bath. We ended up at Bath and waited for the 1532 ex-Bristol. This train was showing as on time on the platform departure boards but was showing as cancelled on whatever online web source he was looking at. Eventually an IET (Intercity Express Train) turned up running wrong road and a trainload of passengers got off and we were told this was the 1543 to Paddington

I found out when I got home that this “incident” was actually this train that had been held for an hour at Swindon and had clearly been terminated short at Bath to regain its booked working

I’ll tell the other tale later as this post is already rather long!!

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 19:55:44 »

My other cancellation story comes from July 2018 when I was off on a pilgrimage to Rose Grove. For our younger members this was the site of one of the last 3 operational steam depots on BR (British Rail(ways)), the other two being Carnforth and Lostock Hall, and they all closed in August 1968. This was in connection with a “50 years on” series of photographs that I was producing at the time.

I was also taking the opportunity to travel on the Todmorden to Burnley line via Copy Pit, a line that had little if any passenger trains in 1968. I therefore presented myself at Manchester Victoria for the 1304 departure via the route. The train was showing as on time on the platform information screen.

Suddenly the screen changed to “cancelled.” Muttering curses because I wouldn’t now be going via Copy Pit, I crossed the footbridge to get a train to Blackburn via Bolton, but by the time I got there my original train was showing as on time again. Muttering more curses I crossed back to the original platform but found the train cancelled again. But a few seconds later it was showing as on time again. It was clearly time to ask questions about what the devil was going on.

It turned out that there was a signalling failure at Wigan and the train, a Southport to Blackburn via Manchester ad Todmorden, was the wrong side of it. But trains couldn’t travel in the other direction either, so someone had the initiative to take a 2 car Pacer (for it was 2018) that was working a Blackburn to Southport that wasn’t going to get beyond Manchester, and send it back to Blackburn as a replacement for the unit stuck at Wigan

It appears that the changing information display was happening because someone was trying to manually input the information whilst the automated system “knew” the train was cancelled so kept overriding the manual input

I did get to Rose Grove via my preferred route.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 19:58:18 »

On case anybody is interested, here is my album "50 years on" on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/albums/72157684758170682
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: