Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:09:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calls for trains from Reading to London Waterloo to be made faster  (Read 1348 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2022, 06:02:59 »

The service has been slammed as 'ridiculously slow'.

Having travelled the full distance a number of times over the years, I have some sympathy for Cllr Margetts' motion, though I wonder how feasible a timetable would be for trains to not stop at stations between Twickenham and Waterloo?

I suspect that I may be mis-remembering, or getting confused with the North Downs trains, but didn't some trains not stop between Wokingham and Reading?

The National Rail timetable suggests some journeys from Winnersh, Winnersh Triangle and Wokingham to Waterloo be made via Reading and Paddington, such a trip from Wokingham taking 91 minutes, compared with 71 direct. From Earley one can save three or four minutes.  (I do realise that there are idiosyncrasies in the timetable, which suggests some journeys from Tilehurst to Reading be made via Didcot.)
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 10:48:51 »

The main limitation in reducing journey times is that, as far as the Reading services are concerned, it is essentially a two track railway all the way to Waterloo. Track occupation from Staines eastwards is very high and combinations of the various service groups stop at all the stations.

The only way to speed up services from the outer areas is to

Four Track, Now!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 11:30:19 »

I have browsed through some old timetables ...   Journey times for a typical middle of the day service, Reading to Waterloo:
July 1922 (100 years ago today): 1 hour 35 minutes
1946: 1 hour 15 minutes
1968: 1 hour 13 minutes
1988: 1 hour 7 minutes
2012: 1 hour 22 minutes
Today: 1 hour 22 minutes

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 11:42:20 »

Since the 70s the character of the service has changed a bit, from more outer suburban to more of a metro. So stations have been added (Winnesh Triangle, Martins Heron) and stopping patterns become more regular. Plus driving style has got more sedate.

But, if we had ever got the 4 tph service promised for the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) contract, half of those would run non-stop Reading-Wokingham and divert via the Hounslow loop (with only one stop, I think). That didn't happen, due to a combination of Covid and coy 701s. But when I restarted using these trains on 15th June - a Saturday - there were 3 SWR train per hour. There aren't now, and I can't work out what was changed and why (I wasn't taking much notice while in hiding).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:03:30 by stuving » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 12:24:18 »

There is not enough track capacity to run fast Twickenham to Waterloo, in fact I believe the current plans of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) will have every Windsor side service calling additionally at Vauxhall, to standardise timings, as said on what is effectively a two track railway, even through the Waterloo approaches.

I doubt any Windsor side service will ever miss out Richmond or Clapham Junction, because of the interchange opportunities.

Paul

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 18:48:22 »

They did manage 59 minutes before NSE (Network South East), in a comfortable Fratton based 4CIG.

There could be a passing place at Twickenham if Platform 2 (now reinstated) were made a through  platform and the main lines moved to the centre platforms. There are also loops just East of Staines. Also the centre (slow) roads at Clapham Jn are not restricted in speed whereas the "fast" outer lines are! This carries on to Barnes Jn but pathing is a problem with the Loop trains coming in here. Ascot is also not the capacious station that it once was.

The lenghthening of the units was probably more pressing (it went over to horrid VEP's previously) as the service is very busy.

OTC
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 23:46:31 »

Back in the early seventies one train an hour to Reading was first stop Staines, I think in 25ish minutes. They were BIL or HAL units and gave you an "exciting" ride.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 07:05:48 »

I cannot help feeling there is Councillor bidding for higher office

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 12:15:40 »

There certainly was a long period in the 2000s where alternate services would be non-stop between Reading to Wokingham but had more stops closer into London at places like Putney so the end to end journey time was broadly the same. Putney now has a regular stop on the Windsor trains instead.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 11:22:36 »

I have browsed through some old timetables ...   Journey times for a typical middle of the day service, Reading to Waterloo:
July 1922 (100 years ago today): 1 hour 35 minutes
1946: 1 hour 15 minutes
1968: 1 hour 13 minutes
1988: 1 hour 7 minutes
2012: 1 hour 22 minutes
Today: 1 hour 22 minutes
The 1938 Bradshaw service (before electrification) was 1:27 to Reading.
The new electric service that started on 1939 January 1 took 1:15 to reach Reading.
Both of these ran fast to Staines.
Whoever restored the 1939 timings immediately post-war was doing a good job - most timetables were slowed down considerably.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 18:41:42 »

Here's another, similar, report from "wokingham.co.uk" (whoever that may be; I've never worked that out). It includes this editorial comment:
This was considered in 2017 by Network Rail, which believed there was “minimal” demand for these stops from people travelling from Wokingham borough, but was never followed through. Additionally, in 2014 the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership concluded that speeding up the journey by roughly this amount would bring economic benefits of up to £91 million locally.

I don't see how NR» (Network Rail - home page) would have been looking at demand for timetable changes then, just after the new franchise competition. A little earlier, during the setting of the service requirement, I would expect NR to assess the feasibility of timetable changes, and leave it to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to decide what the voting public would go for. Isn't that how it works?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: