What do I gain from registering? [here]
 tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 02:03:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you plan more or less train travel than normal this summer?  (Voting closed: August 04, 2022, 07:14:38)
I plan to travel by train more than normal this summer - 2 (6.9%)
I plan to travel by train about the same as normal this summer - 8 (27.6%)
I plan to travel by train less than normal this summer - 15 (51.7%)
I never travel by train anyway - 0 (0%)
I don't know how to define normal - 1 (3.4%)
I don't yet know how it will turn out - 3 (10.3%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Members - what do your summer travel plans look like?  (Read 6441 times)
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2022, 07:31:58 »

Recently 'semi-retired' and now in the possesion of a bus pass.
  Journey times obviously take longer but the stops are more convenient
  for my final destination.
  Obviously can only travel 'off-peak', but sometimes feel the need to give up my seat to
  fare paying passenger's.
  Surprised to find buses no longer run by Devon General.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2022, 07:41:56 »

No figures for Cross-Country, the Reading - Bournemouth yesterday was a 4-car cattle truck.

When comparing with pre-pandemic you also need to look at:
1. How frequent is the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service south from Reading now?
2. How frequent was that service three years ago?
3. How many carriages was the nearest equivalent service three years ago?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2022, 07:43:48 »

An article in i newspaper
https://inews.co.uk/news/how-railways-are-driving-a-new-british-seaside-boom-1735085
on the increase in summer leisure traffic on the railways
St Ives up 45%
Newquay up 33%
Bournemouth 50%

No figures from Southern but estimate of 20% increase on Saturdays.

No figures for Cross-Country, the Reading - Bournemouth yesterday was a 4-car cattle truck.

That's good news for the railways but they need to up their game if they wish to sustain it - yesterday saw one of the very few direct Newquay services cancelled and today, for those who have had a weekend away.......

13:30 Newquay to London Paddington due 18:24

13:30 Newquay to London Paddington due 18:24 will be terminated at Plymouth.
It will no longer call at Totnes, Newton Abbot, Exeter St Davids, Tiverton Parkway, Taunton, Reading and London Paddington.

This is due to a shortage of train crew.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2022, 07:58:56 »

Journey times obviously take longer but the stops are more convenient for my source and final destination.
Obviously can only travel 'off-peak' ...

Ditto ... but I have modified your text

1. Some journeys don't take longer - home to Bath is quicker by bus than by train - especially if I look at frequency of daytime weekday services and have to be in Bath for an appointment and don't want to hang around waiting because the train is infrequent and inconveniently timed.

2. I have added "source and" - the bus stop is literally outside our home, whereas the train station is a 20 minute walk, no buses call there and no free parking at the station any longer so if driving I may as well "railhead" at Chippenham, Trowbridge or Westbury and save myself a change, and on return save myself a potentially long wait.

3. Even though I have a senior bus card, I can use the bus at any time - I just have to pay as I do with the train. Locally at present, there's an arrangement for this to be at a child's fare

In addition, buses from Melksham to neighbouring towns are far more reliable that trains at present.  Heading to Bristol?  Far better to railhead at Bath where, even if some trains to Bristol are cancelled, there will be another one along within the half hour than end up hanging around at a station with no train for ages.   Heading toward Brighton?  If there's any doubt about the train, far better to get the bus to Trowbridge where the train runs direct at least as far as Cosham.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 08:52:28 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2022, 08:38:07 »

That's good news for the railways but they need to up their game if they wish to sustain it - yesterday saw one of the very few direct Newquay services cancelled and today, for those who have had a weekend away.......

It will no longer call at Totnes, Newton Abbot, Exeter St Davids, Tiverton Parkway, Taunton, Reading and London Paddington.

Putting that into a context ...

It's due to arrive into Plymouth at 15:01.   

There is a London departure at 14:56 (I wonder if it will be held?) calling at most of the same stations (not Totnes or Tiverton Parkway) and additionally at Bridgwater, Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, Chippenham and Swindon.  The 14:56 is 9 carriages and leaves from the adjacent track (so it does mean a need to use the subway). It's scheduled into London just 12 minutes after the cancelled train, though I suspect it would be running 10 to 15 minutes late because of the "hold".

A service at 15:47 serves all the stations the cancelled train was due to call at as far as Taunton, and some others too.

The following London departure is 16:15 and that does serve Totnes and Tiverton Parkway.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2022, 09:33:29 »

There is a London departure at 14:56 (I wonder if it will be held?) calling at most of the same stations (not Totnes or Tiverton Parkway) and additionally at Bridgwater, Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, Chippenham and Swindon.  The 14:56 is 9 carriages and leaves from the adjacent track (so it does mean a need to use the subway). It's scheduled into London just 12 minutes after the cancelled train, though I suspect it would be running 10 to 15 minutes late because of the "hold".

A service at 15:47 serves all the stations the cancelled train was due to call at as far as Taunton, and some others too.

The following London departure is 16:15 and that does serve Totnes and Tiverton Parkway.

Anyone who travels from the South West towards London on a Sunday afternoon will know how busy those trains are (even on the rare occasions when they all run) - so with the best will in the world, your context doesn't provide much comfort stacked up against 2 trainloads cramming onto one train, and I don't need our esteemed fellow forum member's crystal ball to know that it won't be a pleasant experience.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2022, 10:39:58 »

Journey times obviously take longer but the stops are more convenient for my source and final destination.
Obviously can only travel 'off-peak' ...

Ditto ... but I have modified your text

1. Some journeys don't take longer - home to Bath is quicker by bus than by train - especially if I look at frequency of daytime weekday services and have to be in Bath for an appointment and don't want to hang around waiting because the train is infrequent and inconveniently timed.

2. I have added "source and" - the bus stop is literally outside our home, whereas the train station is a 20 minute walk, no buses call there and no free parking at the station any longer so if driving I may as well "railhead" at Chippenham, Trowbridge or Westbury and save myself a change, and on return save myself a potentially long wait.

3. Even though I have a senior bus card, I can use the bus at any time - I just have to pay as I do with the train. Locally at present, there's an arrangement for this to be at a child's fare

In addition, buses from Melksham to neighbouring towns are far more reliable that trains at present.  Heading to Bristol?  Far better to railhead at Bath where, even if some trains to Bristol are cancelled, there will be another one along within the half hour than end up hanging around at a station with no train for ages.   Heading toward Brighton?  If there's any doubt about the train, far better to get the bus to Trowbridge where the train runs direct at least as far as Cosham.

Also add to point 3, some local authorities have removed time restrictions for concession pass holders to be used for free. Others have relaxed their timings.

Cornwall is one example within the GWR (Great Western Railway) area where no time Restrictions exist for using concession passes and they can be used 24/7

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2022, 10:43:27 »

Also add to point 3, some local authorities have removed time restrictions for concession pass holders to be used for free. Others have relaxed their timings.

Cornwall is one example within the GWR (Great Western Railway) area where no time Restrictions exist for using concession passes and they can be used 24/7

Also Cornwall has the cheap/cheaper bus fare initiative.
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-news/transport-streets-and-waste/great-value-bus-travel-is-coming-to-cornwall-as-council-leads-the-way-with-pioneering-trial/
Residents will pay significantly less to travel by bus from next week under a new pilot scheme led by Cornwall Council to encourage more people to travel by bus.

The reduced bus fares pilot scheme is a first for a local authority and follows a successful bid by the Council for £23.5m funded by UK (United Kingdom) Government.

It will mean adult bus passengers will, on average, pay one-third less for their fares when new summer timetables are introduced on Sunday, April 10.  ...........(continues)....

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2022, 15:41:00 »

When comparing with pre-pandemic you also need to look at:
1. How frequent is the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service south from Reading now?
2. How frequent was that service three years ago?
3. How many carriages was the nearest equivalent service three years ago?

If you look at the 2019 Summer Saturday timetable there was one service an hour to Bournemouth but also one as far as Southampton on the other half of the hour. These would have been both single units, ie 4 or 5 carriages.

Presently there is only one service every two hours to Bournemouth. Most comprise a doubled unit of 9/10 coaches but certain ones are only 4/5.

This is a significant reduction of capacity south of Reading.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2022, 17:02:16 »

Looks like an even more sensible solution found ... the train from Newquay terminated at Plymouth and appears to have continued on as a delayed London via Bristol service. Putting the overcrowding issues to one side, sensible, very sensible.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 19:13:56 by Timmer » Logged

FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2022, 18:18:28 »

£5 an adult for a day on any bus with any company in the whole of Cornwall and £10 for a family. Real bargain. £5 is almost half a gallon of petrol!!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2022, 19:15:52 »

Looks like an even more sensible solution found ... the train from Newquay terminated at Plymouth and appears to have continued on as a delayed London via Bristol service. Putting the overcrowding issues to one side, sensible, very sensible.
I had a feeling that would happen. Control at Swindon are often creative when they can be in trying to minimise disruption for passengers when services are either cancelled or are running short.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 05:08:33 »

I never did follow up when this poll closed - sorry ...

I plan to travel by train less than normal this summer   - 51.7%
I plan to travel by train about the same as normal this summer   - 27.6%
I don't yet know how it will turn out   - 10.3%
I plan to travel by train more than normal this summer   - 6.9%
I don't know how to define normal   - 3.4%
I never travel by train anyway   - 0%

I find that pretty depressing. In a summer when we might have expected the UK (United Kingdom) to be re-opening, the majority of us still plan to travel by train "less than normal".  And that's not a small majority either - it's more than half the votes cast.  I wonder why - new poll at http://www.passenger.chat/26633

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 05:24:57 by grahame » Logged

lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2022, 11:03:24 »

For longer distance trains my plans over the summer have not changed much (strikes withstanding). Where my travelling habits have changed is use of the train for “local” journeys in and around Reading/TV.

And not because of the ticket prices - which I think are competitive given the current price of fuel.

I am put off using the train because of the cost of using APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) managed station car parks. An off-peak day ticket has *doubled* in the last two years at my local station. It now costs more to park the car at the station than it does to buys a peak return ticket into Reading !

This associated price rises does not get the press it deserves.

How can this type of pricing behaviour promote the use of trains. When people talk about being ‘priced off’ using the railways - the *entire* associated costs needs to be factored in. It’s not just about the tickets.

Oh ! And my local once full by 8:30 station car park is now, at most, 1/3 full by midday.
Indicative measure of the issues facing the rail companies.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: