Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 19:13:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[270] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[87] "Mayflower"
[77] You see all sorts on the bus.
[49] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line
[41] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[38] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rogue Ticket Gates  (Read 1269 times)
Hafren

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2022, 22:35:55 »

Strange question.... Are ticket gates capable of "wiping" a ticket's magstripe?

The full story: I'm a dinosaur so I still use a paper season ticket. Earlier this year I had a spate of tickets failing to operate the gates; at one point I'd managed to go through two replacement tickets in a month. I thought it might be something in my pocket doing it, so I've become fairly diligent about keeping it in a separate pocket from any obvious sources of magnetism. But I noticed a pattern:

• The first time a ticket stops working, the gate seems to behave differently. The ticket stays in there for a while before the gate spits it out. This only happens the first time it fails to go through, suggesting that something is different about the ticket the next time it enters a gate.
• That first gate fail often happened at a particular gate (I think - or at least a particular part of the gateline). It's one that is usually used for the 'exit' flow so I don't often use it on entering the station, but on some occasions it was being used for the 'entry' flow, and it was on those occasions that the issue happened.
• When I realised the above, I made a point of not using the suspect part of the gateline... and after that my tickets started lasting the whole month!

...Until yesterday. I used a gateline I don't often use; the slow processing issue occurred, and since then my ticket hasn't been 'working'.

So are the gates somehow 'wiping' or 'marking' my ticket? Speculating, perhaps they notice a possible error, try to re-read once or twice, then decide to mark it fully unreadable for next time?

As it was often the same gate, could there be something wrong with that gate? (But surely someone would have noticed the pattern if so...)

Intriguingly, one of the times it happened the person who let me though said something like "it's wiped it", but early in the morning I can't guarantee I heard him correctly!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 07:52:11 »

Yes is the short answer!

The gates at Marylebone wiped the mag strips in card tickets & season tickets often, and probably still do. It’s a known problem.

It was a pain in the arse to keep having to replace the season regularly, where the ticket office staff were kept very busy. Thankfully working from home now!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 14:52:15 »

Will be even more of a problem when there are no ticket office staff!
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 17:57:06 »

In answer to the original question, yes they sometimes do.  The belts pulling the ticket though can slip, the heads get dirty or there is a momentary power glitch. 

Picking up on ChrisB's point though, the gate does a final check that it can read back the updated details (time, location etc) it thinks it sent to the ticket. If it can't, it's too late for that ticket but if it happens more than a few times the gate will report itself as faulty and shut down requesting a service.  If it's appearing to happen over a long period of time then the chances are it's not the gate at fault even if that seems to be the common factor; more likely it's poor quality tickets that can't hold up to repeated use, or the user is bringing a ticket close to an unnoticed magnet.  Having said that, Marylebone's LU gates are right by the top of the escalators so particularly likely to get dust in the workings.

Automated fault reporting has improved hugely. Back in the early days of ticket gates I eventually tracked down a rogue gate that for several weeks had been not wiping tickets but changing them into a different type. It was a little-used gate at a busy station and the problem only showed up at the next place the ticket was used, so it took a while to spot a pattern in a trickle of what seemed to be random complaints about problems with gates at various stations. Quite satisfying eventually to spot various incidental mentions of the same station with clues about which gate might have been used, then head down and replicate it before getting the offending gate seen to.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 19:52:44 »

Yes, it's happened to me too at Paddington. Would have been at least 10 years ago. Put ticket in, ticket comes out other end but straight away the ticket was pulled back in before I had a chance to grab it. A crunching sort of sound followed then the ticket came back out. The gate did not open and the ticket did not work again. Had to get a replacement from the ticket office.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 01:24:50 »

I went towards the end of December 2020 to renew my Annual Travelcard on an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) at a London Victoria. They said they couldn’t do it anymore and to try somewhere else. I tried various mainline stations who all said they couldn’t do it. Then Thameslink at Kings Cross were able to do it, problem solved.

Fast forward to 2021 and it turns out Thameslink can’t do it now either. I spoke to the bloke at the ticket office who said it had been removed during the year. He said he thought the only way to do it now was online. I spoke to TFL (Transport for London) staff at a station who confirmed this was the case. I asked about doing it online and the Gold record card. They said it would probably be posted to me and take a while. That didn’t help with my rail journey the next day. So I went back to the Thameslink ticket office and bought a paper one there. The machine printing it mangled the first paper ticket and then the second as well.

Third time lucky, but something still wasn’t right and it had issues after the first day of use. Second day of use it stopped working altogether. As a result I am no longer bothering with using it in the barriers. I just ask a member of staff at the gateline to let me through. I’ve now heard various opinions about the person who closed the Underground ticket offices from lots of TFL and national rail staff.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 20:01:47 »

I went towards the end of December 2020 to renew my Annual Travelcard on an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) at a London Victoria. They said they couldn’t do it anymore and to try somewhere else. I tried various mainline stations who all said they couldn’t do it. Then Thameslink at Kings Cross were able to do it, problem solved.

Fast forward to 2021 and it turns out Thameslink can’t do it now either. I spoke to the bloke at the ticket office who said it had been removed during the year. He said he thought the only way to do it now was online. I spoke to TFL (Transport for London) staff at a station who confirmed this was the case. I asked about doing it online and the Gold record card. They said it would probably be posted to me and take a while. That didn’t help with my rail journey the next day. So I went back to the Thameslink ticket office and bought a paper one there. The machine printing it mangled the first paper ticket and then the second as well.

Third time lucky, but something still wasn’t right and it had issues after the first day of use. Second day of use it stopped working altogether. As a result I am no longer bothering with using it in the barriers. I just ask a member of staff at the gateline to let me through. I’ve now heard various opinions about the person who closed the Underground ticket offices from lots of TFL and national rail staff.

When my annual paper ticket expired 3 years ago, I upgraded to an annual ticket on a smartcard. The gold record card arrives in the post from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) about a week later. However the smartcard became faulty a few months ago and needed to be replaced. That's my fault though because I like to keep it in my back pocket. It's more rigid than a paper ticket and the contactless loop must have got damaged.
Still, it lasted longer than the paper ones which needed replacing due to faults every few months.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 20:18:34 »

I'm pretty sure the gates Deutsche Bahn Arriva installed at Cardiff Queen Street are particularly susceptible to wiping tickets. I've often wondered what outfit they got to manufacture those ones, as they seem peculiarly unreliable, and significantly worse than the barriers they replaced.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: