17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:46:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: tap in tap out on Bristol bus's problem  (Read 1946 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2022, 08:34:16 »

Experienced it for the first time a couple of days ago,its okay,but I wish there was another "tap out" point.

Some passengers were having a problem with not being able to tap out (for what ever reason).

A queue then built up with approx six passngers trying to get off as well trying to "tap out"
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 09:59:21 »

Not sure if it is the same system as in Swindon, but here if there are issues with tapping out on the usual reader you can also use the one in the driver's cab where you tapped in.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 17:16:45 »

I didn't know Bristol even had tap in, tap out. I see it was introduced on 17 July. As the last time I took a bus was in February, I presume that means July this year – but maybe not!
https://www.firstbus.co.uk/bristol-bath-and-west/tickets/new-tickets-more-choice/tap-tap

Shame it doesn't work for three-stop hops. As the WsM and WoE fares differ by distance or zone, it seems the system does know where you're tapping in and out, so is there a reason for excluding the three-stop hop?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 17:41:55 »

Yes, July 2022. I've used it and it worked OK. Slightly oddly, it seems to charge you an initial 10p and then sort out the true fare later.

It does seem odd that it can't work out that you've done a 3-stop hop, though I presume they have their reasons... also it doesn't cater for children or young adults.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 18:04:46 »

I can understand that it can't differentiate between children and adults, as it doesn't know who's holding the card. The bank presumably knows the age of the card's owner but probably won't divulge it to third parties and in any case can't confirm that a card registered to Mr R. Squirrel was not actually being used by Master Kit Squirrel, or vice versa.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 18:12:02 »

It does seem odd that it can't work out that you've done a 3-stop hop, though I presume they have their reasons...
Borrowing an extremely cynical hat from other parts of the forum: people who know the system and know where they're going will ask the driver for a 3-stop hop. Others will be content to suck up the 90p for the convenience of tapping in and out. People making irregular short trips are less likely to hit the £5.30 daily cap, so the effective average price per user is raised.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 23:02:33 »

I can understand that it can't differentiate between children and adults, as it doesn't know who's holding the card. The bank presumably knows the age of the card's owner but probably won't divulge it to third parties and in any case can't confirm that a card registered to Mr R. Squirrel was not actually being used by Master Kit Squirrel, or vice versa.

Yes; First would have to set up a system where users registered a card and then declared themself to be a student, child or other concession. Which is sort of what TfL» (Transport for London - about) do, isn't it? I can see that First may not want the added complication of this, but I wonder if the benefits of making buses easier for young people to use (and maybe gaining lifelong passengers) might outweigh these costs?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 08:16:51 »

I thought TfL» (Transport for London - about) simply didn't charge children? Maybe it's changed, haven't been to London for a while.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 21:03:14 »

And after years of saying what a good idea tap-in-tap-out would be for Bristol, it has finally arrived, but I won't be using it. My days of paying for bus travel are behind me, and I now refuse to out before 9.30.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 23:34:03 »

Refuse to go out or just not up by 9.30?  Grin
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 05:00:56 »

If your in Cornwall,bus pass's are valid from first thing in the morning 24/7
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 11:37:10 »

If your in Cornwall,bus pass's are valid from first thing in the morning 24/7

Sadly, not in Devon yet, and won't be if I visit Bristol. Plus, you still need a bus.

Now, please!
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 00:13:31 »

Yes; First would have to set up a system where users registered a card and then declared themself to be a student, child or other concession. Which is sort of what TfL» (Transport for London - about) do, isn't it? I can see that First may not want the added complication of this, but I wonder if the benefits of making buses easier for young people to use (and maybe gaining lifelong passengers) might outweigh these costs?

TfL don't do discounts on bank card travel, only on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services). For security and data protection the processing that works out what fares to charge for a day or week's travel on a bank card (or phone etc) is kept entirely separate from the bit that is eventually told to bill the passenger's bank account for that travel.  The fare bit deliberately has no way of knowing who the person is and so can't charge for a child or for having a Railcard.  They're working towards possibly doing something to link the two in a secure way but there may well end up being just too many hoops to jump through.  Rather more likely is some form of virtual card on a phone, holding any discount entitlement, that could then be linked to a bank account for billing.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 21:06:58 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) don't do discounts on bank card travel, only on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services).

I think they do - try looking at the TfL fare finder. I chose randomly, picking Euston station to liverpool Street station. An adult single fare is £6.30 cash, but "only" £2.50 by Oyster OR contactless card.

Now, please!
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 21:26:15 »

I think the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) discounts referred to are things like adding a railcard to your Oyster for the discount.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: