Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:27:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tamar Valley line - truncation of services due to lack of working train  (Read 2568 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 14, 2022, 20:57:50 »

Alterations to services between Plymouth and Gunnislake

Due to a broken down train between Plymouth and Gunnislake the line is closed.
Train services running to and from these stations will be suspended. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer Advice
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The train used on the Gunnislake branch line has multiple faults, which an engineer has attempted to fix. We are working to find an alternative train that can be used on the line, but the following trains are cancelled until further notice:

17:44 Plymouth to Gunnislake
18:35 Gunnislake to Plymouth
20:01 Plymouth to Gunnislake
20:52 Gunnislake to Plymouth
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are sorry for the disruption this might cause to your journey today.
Replacement road transport services are conveying passengers between Plymouth and Gunnislake in both directions until further notice. The road transport will depart from the following locations:

Plymouth: Front of the station.
Devonport: Albert Road bus stops, adjacent to Exmouth Road.
Dockyard: Bus stops on Keyham Road (B3396) near the turning to Keat Street.
Keyham: Bus stops on Saltash Road, next to HMS Drake Barracks.
St Budeaux Victoria Road: Bus stops on Wolseley Road, by the bank (towards Plymouth) or by the supermarket (towards Gunnislake).
Bere Ferrers: Station Road nus stop near the Community notice board and post box.
Bere Alston: Car park at the front of the station.
Calstock: Bus stop at the entrance to the station approach road (Lang Gardens).
Gunnislake: Station car park.

Further Information
An update will follow within the next 2 hours.
If you hold a valid single, return, or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more. Please keep your ticket and visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/DelayRepay
Last Updated:14/08/2022 19:23

That reads to me as if this continues into tomorrow ... and I wonder about the day after.   Are GWR really that short of working trains or people to drive one over from another depot if there isn't a working one in Plymouth?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 22:38:17 »

Not very well worded I agree but if you think about it if the disruption was going to continue past today why would you only cancel afternoon trains due to lack of a unit?

In any event the trains quoted are Sunday times so could not apply to weekdays.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 22:51:37 by bobm » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:18:15 »

Normal service today - except the on board toilet isn't working.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 10:34:43 »

Normal service today - except the on board toilet isn't working.

Seems to be Exmouth - Paignton which is virtually wiped out today.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 10:45:43 »

Virtually wiped out?  A slight exaggeration.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 19:17:13 »

Virtually wiped out?  A slight exaggeration.

Five round trips wiped off the timetable - out of 35 (there are 7 trains on that circuit, running at 30 minute intervals. So average delay to random passengers is 30 minutes / 7 = 4.5 minutes.  A frequent service can withstand it.

Contrast ...

Just two round trips wiped off the timetable our of 8 (that's just a quarter or one train) on a line like Swindon-Westbury which runs at intervals of about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Average delay to passengers = 34 minutes. So an infrequent service does wipe out practical use at a far lower number of cancellation - if the average holdup for passenger is one half an hour not less that five minutes, that's darned serious -and it's with less than half the cancellations that Exmouth suffered today.

Proof:
1. You can prove anything with statistics
2. Infrequent services to hamlets like Newquay and Melksham should be stepped up to minimise passenger delay.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 23:49:00 »

Wonderful statistics but I live in the real world.

Yes many cancellations will not cause too many problems but when they occur at peak times it is another matter.

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s current reliability record leaves much to be desired across the whole of their patch.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 02:54:08 »

Yeah ... real world micro-example ... 90 minute wait at Trowbridge for a taxi because an infrequent train has been cancelled is far more painful than a 30 minute wait at Exmouth for the next train.

Yes many cancellations will not cause too many problems but when they occur at peak times it is another matter.

Peak times ARE an issue ... everywhere, and not only on wait times but on capacity on the next service.  A corollary of the issues are that if a train is taken out of service / not available for a whole day, it will inevitably cause cancellations in both peaks as well as during the day.  To some extent that can be mitigated by trying to "pull" a diagram on which the train is running the clock-face service counter-flow during the peak of the peak.  You can see this in practice where  it's the Bristol to Westbury service that is "gapped" in the morning peak if needs must, and not the Westbury to Bristol major morning flow direction.

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s current reliability record leaves much to be desired across the whole of their patch.

Can't disagree with you there as a generality. I can ask whether that's due to GWR's team, First Group direction, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) direction, general problems of running a business, or unrealistic expectations from us the customers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:24:22 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 04:31:25 »

Yeah ... real world micro-example ... 90 minute wait at Trowbridge for a taxi because an infrequent train has been cancelled is far more painful than a 30 minute wait at Exmouth for the next train.

Or this morning at Melksham - single northbound train at 07:53 cancelled, next train 10:02, journey check only offers delay / repay as a "sop".  Still no offer here to use an alternative bus service ...

Further Information

If you hold a valid single, return, or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more. Please keep your ticket and visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/DelayRepay

Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 00:23:59 »

Five round trips wiped off the timetable - out of 35 (there are 7 trains on that circuit, running at 30 minute intervals. So average delay to random passengers is 30 minutes / 7 = 4.5 minutes.  A frequent service can withstand it.

Sorry, but I don't think that's a meaningful way of analysing it.  A random passenger has either no delay or a 30 minute one so talking about an average delay is meaningless as no-one is delayed by 4.5 minutes.  As you say, you can prove anything with statistics!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 05:19:27 »

Sorry, but I don't think that's a meaningful way of analysing it.

OK - suggest better alternative please.

A random passenger has either no delay or a 30 minute one so talking about an average delay is meaningless as no-one is delayed by 4.5 minutes.  As you say, you can prove anything with statistics!

Yeah - I should have said "mean" rather than "average".  Definitely the mean - median extra delay if the majority of trains are running is zero.

This is the old "average family has 2.4 children but you'll never find an average family" thing; still (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) a useful measure in terms of overall planning such as number of school spaces.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 07:19:17 »

old "average family has 2.4 children

That is old, as the average family size is nearer 2.4 persons now.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 08:29:00 »

old "average family has 2.4 children

That is old, as the average family size is nearer 2.4 persons now.

Indeed ...

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2019/08/02/whatever-happened-to-2-point-4-children/

Now perhaps 1.9 children. Many more people live alone these days, and that's a driver behind the need for house building just as population increase and the need for housing stock renewal ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 17:27:08 »

Just two round trips wiped off the timetable our of 8 (that's just a quarter or one train) on a line like Swindon-Westbury which runs at intervals of about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Average delay to passengers = 34 minutes. So an infrequent service does wipe out practical use at a far lower number of cancellation - if the average holdup for passenger is one half an hour not less that five minutes, that's darned serious -and it's with less than half the cancellations that Exmouth suffered today.

I must admit I am struggling to get my head around this.  If I go to catch a train I aim to be on the platform a minimum of five minutes before it is due to leave.   However I am not actually delayed until the train is late or cancelled.   That applies to everyone aiming to catch that train.  So even if they arrive at the station 20 minutes before me they will be delayed by the same amount of time as I am if the train is late or cancelled.  No one is delayed by a lesser or greater amount - so I don't understand the validity of the 34 minutes.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 18:10:55 »

I must admit I am struggling to get my head around this.  If I go to catch a train I aim to be on the platform a minimum of five minutes before it is due to leave.   However I am not actually delayed until the train is late or cancelled.   That applies to everyone aiming to catch that train.  So even if they arrive at the station 20 minutes before me they will be delayed by the same amount of time as I am if the train is late or cancelled.  No one is delayed by a lesser or greater amount - so I don't understand the validity of the 34 minutes.

It's an interesting one ... here is Melksham to Swindon with 2 trains being cancelled and passenger arriving at the station every 10 minutes.  Of course, in reality on such a thin service they would arrange their timing to arrive for a particular train.

Code:
tats = ["05:33","07:21","07:53","10:02","12:33","14:32","16:41","18:50","20:22"]
tata = ["05:33","07:21","07:53","12:33","14:32","16:41","20:22"]

wt = []
for tat in (tats,tata):
peeps = 0
paws = 0
for hour in range(5,20):
for min in range(0,60,10):
popup = hour*60+min
for service in tat:
(h,m) = service.split(":")
goesat = int(h)*60+int(m)
if goesat > popup:
paws += goesat - popup
peeps += 1
break
avw = paws/peeps
print("passengers {} total wait {} minutes - average {:.1f}".format(peeps,paws,avw))
wt.append(avw)
print ("Extra time waited {:.1f} minutes".format(wt[1]-wt[0]))

passengers 90 total wait 5264 minutes - average 58.5
passengers 90 total wait 8331 minutes - average 92.6
Extra time waited 34.1 minutes

change the first two lines to show 1 in 7 services cancelled on a half hourly pattern (5 in the day)

Code:
tats = ["06:05","06:35","07:05","07:35","08:05","08:35","09:05","09:35","10:05","10:35",
"11:05","11:35","12:05","12:35","13:05","13:35","14:05","14:35","15:05","15:35",
"16:05","16:35","17:05","17:35","18:05","18:35","19:05","19:35","20:05","20:35",
"21:05"]
tata = ["06:05","07:05","07:35","08:05","08:35","09:05","09:35","10:35",
"11:05","11:35","12:05","12:35","13:05","14:05","14:35","15:05","15:35",
"16:05","16:35","17:35","18:05","18:35","19:05","19:35","20:05",
"21:05"]

and you get

passengers 90 total wait 1500 minutes - average 16.7
passengers 90 total wait 1860 minutes - average 20.7
Extra time waited 4.0 minutes

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: