09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:24:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is suppressing your train use?  (Voting closed: August 19, 2022, 19:30:22)
my work pattern has changed - 17 (10.7%)
my personal pattern has changed permanently - 12 (7.5%)
things are different just this summer in my personal life - 9 (5.7%)
unreliable train services - 34 (21.4%)
services are more limited - 17 (10.7%)
remaining health concerns - 5 (3.1%)
cost of tickets - 17 (10.7%)
associated costs - 5 (3.1%)
overcrowded trains - 12 (7.5%)
less comfortable trains - 14 (8.8%)
safety concerns - 0 (0%)
extreme weather - 8 (5%)
harder to find out what is running - 7 (4.4%)
nothing is holding me back - 2 (1.3%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Our (members) train use is down - poll as to why  (Read 4799 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 15, 2022, 05:19:12 »

A previous poll ( http://www.passenger.chat/26566 )suggests that the majority of our members expect to be travelling less this summer (and indeed it is now summer and, personally, I am on the trains a lot less).  I can guess why, but here's a poll to see if my guess is right.

Even if your travel is not reduced please complete this poll to let us know of constraints on your travel (or select the final option that you are not being held back!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 05:28:22 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 05:46:06 »

Feedback on my personal vote - I have selected quite a number of factors.

I am lucky enough not to have been put off by the price of tickets, and the associated cost (refreshments along the way, parking, hotel prices, entry prices are not relevant to me this year simply because I'm travelling so skinny-little.  I am not much influenced by remaining health concerns (though would avoid a severly crowded train if possible) and I do not have general safety concerns.  Beyond that almost every factor has conspired to put me off!

The following are perhaps having the most effect on me:
* I am no longer travelling to paid work, and very little to volunteer quasi-work
* In my personal life, massive local time is taken supporting our (and other) guests and on council and bus quasi-work
* Train services are limited and unreliable

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:47:02 »

My travel in the UK (United Kingdom) has dropped this year, although my foreign rail travel has significantly risen, albeit from a zero start. Although my rail travel mileage is up to pre-covid levels, it now includes a significant proportion of foreign journeys, 6100 miles this year. Two other factors are also involved. I no longer live within walking distance of a railway station, making last minute off the cuff trips less likely. The cut backs in services and their general unreliability mean that I have not considered an All Line Railrover.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 10:47:29 »

This summer's a bit complicated for my family, with lots of short events dotted around the calendar. Normally we'd have a few train trips while the kids are on holiday, but this year it's been harder to find dates which aren't already taken and aren't near a train strike.

On top of that, the extreme weather makes us reluctant to travel by train. The thought of being trapped for hours on an overheated, overcrowded train if something went wrong is a strong deterrent.

That having been said, we are having a day out by train on Wednesday. Wish us luck!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 10:54:04 »

I’ve made many journeys for leisure this year, if anything a few more than usual.  I’ve come across hardly any problems so far - helped with a little bit of defensive scheduling, common sense and insider knowledge.

Just reading the forums gives you a rather overly negative view as to how things actually are IMHO (in my humble opinion).

I would have made a couple more journeys but they clashed with strike days.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 13:06:59 »

I've voted as "nothing is holding me back" although in some instances industrial action has been/ may be, a potential or actual spanner in the works.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 14:19:01 »

I've voted as "nothing is holding me back" although in some instances industrial action has been/ may be, a potential or actual spanner in the works.
Same for me although I have had a few problems with last minute Cancelations on the cross country services to Worcestershire parkway also on Avanti west coast and West Midland Trains.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 15:44:23 »

Pre-Lockdown, I used to go up to London a couple of times a month. Don't fancy it all now, partly because of the Tube (crowding, and I'm uneasy on escalators).

On Sunday some relatives are in Oxford and wanted to meet up. Nowadays a journe  to meet them there from Tilehurst means a change at Didcot, and there'll be post-strike uncertainty. So I'm driving to Wallingford.

I suppose I could have caught the 0927 and got off at Cholsey, then walked alongside the Heritage railway, but there would still be the uncertainty. (Just noticed that there are services on the Wallingford line, but too late for me. I may head out that way afterwards.)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 17:59:44 »

I'm travelling for work much less because most meetings are on Zoom/Teams now.

I'm travelling for leisure less for a number of reasons: fare hikes (e.g. GWR (Great Western Railway) have now changed Charlbury-London Terminals off-peak returns so they're not valid in the evening peak from Marylebone, which is just spiteful), withdrawn weekend services, and the hassle of getting a bike on an IET (Intercity Express Train).
hoover50

Class 50 at Swindon

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 19:23:17 »

You need to add an option to this poll: Train Strikes

Train Strikes are massively suppressing my train use. My local station (Pewsey) has no trains on strike days and the day after a strike there are hardly any services calling at Pewsey.

I am fed up with these selfish rail unions holding the travelling public to ransom.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 20:06:49 »

Train Strikes are massively suppressing my train use. ...

That's a vote for "unreliable train services" please  Grin

Whether it's strikes, cracked brackets, lack of crew, floods, leaves on the line, disruptive passengers, scheduling errors, axle counter failure or  a cow moo-ving around on the track, if trains are cancelled or so delayed that connections are missed it's a  "unreliable train service" that people remember. 

hoover50

Class 50 at Swindon

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 20:27:27 »

Train Strikes are massively suppressing my train use. ...

That's a vote for "unreliable train services" please  Grin

I still think you need to add a separate option for train strikes.

Cracked brackets, lack of crew, floods, leaves on the line, disruptive passengers, scheduling errors, axle counter failure or a cow moo-ving around on the track are all unplanned one-off events which cause disruption that results in an unreliable train service.

That is rather different to having NO TRAINS ALL DAY on strike days because of train strikes which are deliberately planned to cause disruption.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 22:29:03 »

Well, I've broken a long spell of not using national rail services (since March 2020!) with a leisure journey on Northern Rail. Avoided strike days and journey worked out as planned.

Back in GWR (Great Western Railway)-land, an essential journey. Portsmouth-Cardiff ran late and missed connection. Coming back, two consecutive Portsmouth trains cancelled so over an hour late home. Other train services on GWML (Great Western Main Line) and Elizabeth Line ran OK.

The Cardiff-Portsmouth route (and its offshoots to Swindon and Weymouth) are performing miserably this year and it's not all down to strikes.

As for SWR» (South Western Railway - about)...
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 22:57:47 »

Overall I'm back to 'full' use, or something approaching it.
My job itself and personal preference are such that I'm basically full-time in the office, but the odd day of working from home happens.
Leisure travel is mostly as before, but not 100%; certain things are happening less often than they were, for various reasons.

But there are certain journeys that I would have made occasionally, that I've made zero times since 2020 took off. This is a mix of services not being quite back to their previous level (e.g. I've said elsewhere that if I wanted to do a full-day return on the Heart of Wales Line, I no longer can), and wariness over the railway's inability to provide the advertised level of service.

I've always been able to brush off the various delays and cancellations that occur as 'one of those things'.... I have enough understanding of railway operations to be able to see why things happen, and generally know that they'll make arrangements to get me home if a last connection is missed, or whatever. And I accept that if a lot of people want to travel, it will be busy. But the trust is evaporating.  The resources just aren't there. Insufficient traincrew. Insufficient trains. So although I'm mostly back to the way I was pre-2020, and if I'm seeing someone in particular or whatever I'll still go for it, but I'm a little bit wary and a bit more averse to travelling for the sake of it. These issues are particularly hitting routes that rely on tourism at a time when tourism should be a focus for the industry.

Covid-related delays to training are understandable. Lack of stock isn't, given how much new stock is running around at the moment, and therefore how much cascading should be possible. (Actually financial constraints that might be behind this are also understandable... but the end result is unchanged.)
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 08:40:02 »

My overall train usage has been lower since February as that was when I qualified for my 'crinklies' bus pass. This has only impacted local rail journeys between DIG and EXC.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: