Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:59:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is suppressing your train use?  (Voting closed: August 19, 2022, 19:30:22)
my work pattern has changed - 17 (10.7%)
my personal pattern has changed permanently - 12 (7.5%)
things are different just this summer in my personal life - 9 (5.7%)
unreliable train services - 34 (21.4%)
services are more limited - 17 (10.7%)
remaining health concerns - 5 (3.1%)
cost of tickets - 17 (10.7%)
associated costs - 5 (3.1%)
overcrowded trains - 12 (7.5%)
less comfortable trains - 14 (8.8%)
safety concerns - 0 (0%)
extreme weather - 8 (5%)
harder to find out what is running - 7 (4.4%)
nothing is holding me back - 2 (1.3%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Our (members) train use is down - poll as to why  (Read 4821 times)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 12:37:21 »

That is rather different to having NO TRAINS ALL DAY on strike days because of train strikes which are deliberately planned to cause disruption.

What is the point of a strike if nobody notices its happening?

In addition of course, it takes two to tango, and I often wonder why some people automatically blame only one side, without perhaps being in full posession of the facts.

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but I for one am getting increasingly agitated by the union-bashing tabloids and government, and we would perhaps all benefit from not havinf this forum full of it too.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 15:54:20 »

... I for one am getting increasingly agitated by the union-bashing tabloids and government, and we would perhaps all benefit from not having this forum full of it too.

This thread / poll was designed not end up talking about .... oops ...

With a very few exceptions (such as when a passenger is taken ill on a train and it can no longer carry on, on time and making its connections), it really doesn't matter why a service is unreliable to most people.  Passenger taken ill, and perhaps "person hit by train" and people are far more symathetic and understanding [statement unproven]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 18:56:01 »

My travelling habits have changed markedly but mainly due to medical reasons. Due to my glaucoma I can no longer see much out of the window and have difficulty in finding my way in places I know, let alone unfamiliar ones

Then back in July I got a very mild dose of COVID but it appears to have affected my lungs, exacerbated of course by 60 years of smoking. 5 years ago I would think nothing of getting a train to Didcot and walking up the DNS (Domain name service) to Upton and back, or walking from Temple Meads along the Bristol & Bath railway path to Yate or Saltford – today I walked a quarter of a mile from Chippenham bus station to the Town Bridge bus stop, and had to stop twice for a blow-up on the way

Advancing years don’t come alone...
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 20:09:27 »

This summer's a bit complicated for my family, with lots of short events dotted around the calendar. Normally we'd have a few train trips while the kids are on holiday, but this year it's been harder to find dates which aren't already taken and aren't near a train strike.

On top of that, the extreme weather makes us reluctant to travel by train. The thought of being trapped for hours on an overheated, overcrowded train if something went wrong is a strong deterrent.

That having been said, we are having a day out by train on Wednesday. Wish us luck!

I agree, WRT (with regard to ) to the risks of stuck for hours on an overcrowded overheated train.

I HAVE been stuck for hours on an HST (High Speed Train), the delay was tedious but conditions not bad. Everyone had a seat, air conditioning working, refreshments available.
But on a new shorter train conditions would be far worse.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 20:29:12 »

But there are certain journeys that I would have made occasionally, that I've made zero times since 2020 took off. This is a mix of services not being quite back to their previous level (e.g. I've said elsewhere that if I wanted to do a full-day return on the Heart of Wales Line, I no longer can), and wariness over the railway's inability to provide the advertised level of service.
And then added to the infrequent trains are the barmy Two Together Railcard restrictions. The YP one has a £12 minimum fare before 0930 on weekdays; so obviously Two Together has a £24 minimum fare... No, it has a blanket ban, which is really unhelpful for connecting onto the 1105 Trans-Wilts from Swindon from anywhere west of Newport. Even the Network Railcard has an enormous list of easements. GWR (Great Western Railway) would probably make a pile more money out of me for one if they put in place a blanket easement to remove the Two Together time restrictions for journeys over £12 each that don't cross into the South East Government Office Region – that would make up for trying to connect onto very infrequent trains.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2022, 20:29:42 »

I’ve made many journeys for leisure this year, if anything a few more than usual.  I’ve come across hardly any problems so far - helped with a little bit of defensive scheduling, common sense and insider knowledge.

Just reading the forums gives you a rather overly negative view as to how things actually are IMHO (in my humble opinion).

I would have made a couple more journeys but they clashed with strike days.

I disagree. Many reports on these forums do, in my view give an unduly optimistic view.

"short formations are less common than suggested by by journeycheck"
"we dont need full length trains, due to reduced passenger numbers"
"Covid mode is fine, again due to reduced passenger numbers"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 12:21:53 »

"short formations are less common than suggested by by journeycheck"

How is it unduly optimistic to correct the obvious fact that journeycheck is absolutely littered with errors, which I’ve demonstrated on many occasions, especially regarding services later in the day?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 08:00:11 »

Pre-Covid a visiting friend living in South London would cycle to Paddington and take the train to Tilehurst. As restrictions eased, she resumed her visits, but by car, out of concern that she might catch Covid on public transport and pass it on to vulnerable family members.

This year we've become less cautious, eating out twice in quiet country pubs and she's just returned from a holiday in Europe. She's still visiting me by car, despite not liking the "smartness" of the M4.

I hesitate to suggest she resumes her train journeys as it's coming up to five months since I had my last jab and we both can see an increase in Covid and other infections as the autumn progresses.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2022, 19:40:02 »

Many thanks for all the votes in this poll.  The major issue holding people back is service reliability - be that because of industrial action, lack of staff for other reasons or ... other reasons. With such overwhelming results (and moderator team support), I'm writing to our key provider to highlight the results to our train operator, and asking that he and his company work alongside partners on all sides to address reliability as a priority.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2022, 20:11:27 »

..... asking that he and his company work alongside partners on all sides to address reliability as a priority.

Just so long as that doesn't help provide an excuse for big reductions in services.

I agree though, reliability....or lack of....is my biggest concern about making a planned railway journey and that concern increases in proportion to the distance from home that I'm traveling, especially on a day return journey.  It's not come to actually detering me from doing such things but it has, for the first time, put that germ of a thought into the back of my mind.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: