Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:27:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Avanti West Coast  (Read 5709 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 09:21:31 »

Not so much a block on recruitment the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will say it has to be self-funding ie for revenue or other cost savings

I agree that the DfT will say that.  And yet I wonder if that suggests that any putting of staffing right has to be 100% commercially lead, without consideration to social or environmental issues.  If all the staff at Tidmouth (for example) were to quit, under this approach would the DfT simply allow the line to close, or at the least have a very limited service without morning departures or evening arrivals, staffed from Vicarstown?
From what we already suspect, the DfT would say it's up to Train Operating Company to operate the franchise within their allocated budget.
Nothing to with the Government/Treasury; entirely down to the ToC!
Yeah, right.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 16:53:05 »

Just to mention that the Guardian’s take on this is that he was fired by FirstGroup
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 01:27:45 »

Just to mention that the Guardian’s take on this is that he was fired by FirstGroup

The headline does, but then the article states he has decided to stand down.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 02:49:40 »

Not so much a block on recruitment the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will say it has to be self-funding ie for revenue or other cost savings

I agree that the DfT will say that.  And yet I wonder if that suggests that any putting of staffing right has to be 100% commercially lead, without consideration to social or environmental issues.  If all the staff at Tidmouth (for example) were to quit, under this approach would the DfT simply allow the line to close, or at the least have a very limited service without morning departures or evening arrivals, staffed from Vicarstown?

I suspect that recruitment would be allowed in that case, remembering that closure is politically unacceptable. They might insist that transfers from other depots be encouraged rather than new staff.
SOME new recruitment is unavoidable but I suspect that pressure is to minimise this.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2022, 05:56:17 »

I suspect that recruitment would be allowed in that case, remembering that closure is politically unacceptable. They might insist that transfers from other depots be encouraged rather than new staff.
SOME new recruitment is unavoidable but I suspect that pressure is to minimise this.

The 'Shaps' hence Government and DfT mantra would be "modernise your working practices ToC and NR» (Network Rail - home page)" I cannot see the policy change under the new "undemocratically anointed" PM

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2022, 08:51:10 »

Yep, he was pushed…..
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2022, 15:43:23 »

Yep, he was pushed…..

"We have left a loaded revolver in your desk top draw"

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2022, 22:09:04 »

I agree that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will say that.  And yet I wonder if that suggests that any putting of staffing right has to be 100% commercially lead, without consideration to social or environmental issues.  If all the staff at Tidmouth (for example) were to quit, under this approach would the DfT simply allow the line to close, or at the least have a very limited service without morning departures or evening arrivals, staffed from Vicarstown?

Well ... many a fictitious suggestion becomes stranger in fact. After my Sodor example, look what's happening on the Isle of Wight:

Tuesday 06th September 2022

Island Line services unable to run tomorrow between 0900 – 1900

Rail replacement buses operate between Ryde and Shanklin

South Western Railway would like to apologise to our customers on the Isle of Wight that, as a result of staff sickness, the Island Line will not be operating tomorrow (Wednesday 7th September) between 9am and 7pm. A rail replacement bus service will be provided during these hours between Ryde Esplanade and Shanklin and a separate minibus shuttle will run between Ryde Pierhead and Ryde Esplanade. There will also be a minibus serving the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2022, 17:23:06 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Ministers could withdraw Avanti's contract to run services on the West Coast Mainline when it comes up for renewal in October.

Transport minister Trudy Harrison told the House of Commons all options remained on the table.

She said withdrawing the contract was one option, and "all of the implications of that" were under consideration.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 13:02:18 »

A right fiasco on my crowded train from Glasgow yesterday. When Avanti decided to reduce there services they cancelled all existing seat reservations, although the passengers were not told of this. Not a problem in itself. However they then decided to re-introduce seat reservations on the remaining services without any reference to the previous reservations resulting in numerous examples of two passengers holding a reservation for the same seat. Bad customer service.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2022, 18:39:22 »

I have to travel to Manchester soon.   Given the stories I have heard on services out of Euston, I have opted not to go via London and booked a through Cross Country Voyager from Reading.  Probably the least worst option!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 19:17:40 »

I have to travel to Manchester soon.   Given the stories I have heard on services out of Euston, I have opted not to go via London and booked a through Cross Country Voyager from Reading.  Probably the least worst option!

Transport for Wales via Newport?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 19:44:46 »

I may have chosen LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) to Leeds then TPE (Trans Pennine Express).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 20:14:38 »

Or if going left field ...

Via a Nottingham (change) on EMR» (East Midlands Railway, also known as EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) (East Midlands Trains) - about)

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2022, 21:13:19 »

Aaaah. Crosscountry and Sundays. I've such fond memories some years back of waiting on Leeds station early on a Sunday morning as three consecutive Crosscountry trains were announced as cancelled* ten minutes before their arrival time... that for that forthcoming trip I've booked a return via LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), Kings Cross and GWR (Great Western Railway).

Mark

*Over-running engineering works, Crosscountry were running straight to Doncaster, missing out Leeds, and would have been available via a change out of an LNER service - but no one thought to tell the waiting passengers.

On finding out, I elected to abandon the considerable crowd that was finally directed to a southbound ECML (East Coast Main Line) train and returned to Bristol via Manchester, Crewe and then Hereford, the ticket thankfully being accepted on explanation by all train managers en route, bless 'em. :-)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: