Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:09:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: More bad news for travellers between Salisbury and Exeter  (Read 9168 times)
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 15:53:02 »

Over the last few days the delays here (at Axminster) don't seem to be that bad, 20-25 minutes maximum on the Exeter bound services, much better than they were last Friday. Does this really warrant the implementation of a two hourly service next week for a month. Many services yesterday were only delayed by about ten or 12 minutes, not much more than we are used to anyway. My regular travel is from Topsham to Axminster, I can see that from next week my journey will be extended by at least an hour, maybe more, depending on connections at Exeter Central.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 18:07:07 »

Over the last few days the delays here (at Axminster) don't seem to be that bad, 20-25 minutes maximum on the Exeter bound services, much better than they were last Friday. Does this really warrant the implementation of a two hourly service next week for a month. Many services yesterday were only delayed by about ten or 12 minutes, not much more than we are used to anyway. My regular travel is from Topsham to Axminster, I can see that from next week my journey will be extended by at least an hour, maybe more, depending on connections at Exeter Central.

The serious delays are west of Honiton. If a westbound service arrives at Honiton 20+ minutes late, then it will be held at Honiton for the eastbound service. Thus it will arrive at Exeter 40+ minutes late. The worst affected services appear to be between 11:30 and 15:30.

Edit to sidestep autoglossary bug - mention of EXC and TOC (Train Operating Company)- grahame

Recent time trains analysis of westbound services at Pinhoe

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 19:18:18 by grahame » Logged
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 18:49:17 »

Press release from Network Rail Wessex, 30th August 2022.

Long, hot summer means major changes to trains on the West of England line in Dorset and Wiltshire as dried-out soil takes its toll on tracks

Region & Route: Southern | Southern: Wessex

Major changes to train services on the West of England main line west of Salisbury have had to be made after a 4-mile long speed restriction was put in place between Gillingham and Tisbury, in Dorset and Wiltshire.

The South of England has endured its driest July since 1936, as well as the hottest temperatures ever recorded, and the impact has now been felt on the railway.

Sections of railway built on clay-based soil, including those around Gillingham, have dried out so badly that they have shrunk, leaving the track on top uneven and dangerous to run trains at full speed.

It is likely that the speed restriction will remain in place until October, as engineers must wait for the soil to regain some of its moisture before a repair can be carried out.

Network Rail’s Head of Track Engineering for Southern Region, Colum Cavanagh, said: “We call this problem Soil Moisture Deficit and although we encounter issues with it most summers, this year has been absolutely unprecedented.

“We came into the hot season with our track in the best condition it’s ever been in, and yet now – late August – the soils around Gillingham have dried so badly the track is only able to take trains running at 40mph, down from 80mph. 

“Normally we would take a piece of kit called a tamper in and sort the track out, a bit like shaking a duvet and getting it flat again. This year the problem is so bad that the soil is still shrinking and it’s going to be some weeks until it has stabilised enough for us to do the work to bring line speeds back up to normal.

“We’re very grateful for everyone’s patience as we know the changes to trains must be frustrating, but the changes are there to keep everyone safe.”

Train services have had to be amended as the line is single – so no trains can pass each other – and trains are taking double the normal length of time to run between Gillingham and Tisbury.

The full revised timetable is currently being finalised and will be published later this week.

Claire Mann, SWR» (South Western Railway - about)’s Managing Director said: “After two weeks of delays and short-notice changes to our services, this decision to introduce a revised timetable will allow us to run a resilient service and at least provide certainty to our customers in the West of England. I am sorry to all those whose journeys will be affected as we wait for weather conditions to improve so Network Rail can safely remove the speed restriction.”

Mr Cavanagh added: “Based upon a recent reconstruction of a clay embankment at Edenbridge in Kent, if we were to rebuild all 6,000 of our clay embankments with modern materials, it could cost anywhere between £15bn to £20bn and take decades to complete.

“We need to manage with what we’ve got and should summers like this one become the norm, we will need to change the way we work to reflect that. Unfortunately, the people who built the railway to Gillingham in 1859 didn’t realise the impact they would have on us 160 years later building their railways on clay soil."

Some deflecting and irrelevance in that press release. No one is suggesting that all sections of railway on clay based soil need to be replaced. As far as I'm aware, Gillingham - Tisbury is the only place on the network that is so bad as to require a timetable change. There has been weeks of disruption and only now are Network Rail and SWR informing passengers about the cause of that disruptions and what they are doing to affect a fix.

Oh, and "timetable available later this week" is a bit different to "timetable will be published on 5th September" that @SWR_Help told me a few days ago.

Passengers last to be keep in the loop. I'm grateful that NR» (Network Rail - home page) Wessex have released the above statement, finally giving a full explanation of the problem. But less grateful that the problems have been going on for weeks, with just "speed restriction" given by way of explanation from SWR.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 22:04:11 by JayMac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 19:08:07 »

Some deflecting and irrelevance in that press release. No one is suggesting that all sections of railway on clay based soil need to be replaced. As far as I'm aware, Gillingham - Tisbury is the only place on the network that is so bad as to require a timetable change. There has been weeks of disruption and only now are Network Rail and SWR» (South Western Railway - about) informing passengers about the cause of that disruptions and what they are doing to affect a fix.

Aren't the serious problems also down to the reduction of the line to a single track for mile after mile and then trying to stuff more trains than it can cope with through?  How much would the delay be if there were only short sections of single line?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 19:11:25 »

Aren't the serious problems also down to the reduction of the line to a single track for mile after mile and then trying to stuff more trains than it can cope with through?  How much would the delay be if there were only short sections of single line?

A point made regularly to SWT (South West Trains) and latterly SWR» (South Western Railway - about) and MPs (Member of Parliament), but brushed under the carpet!
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 20:54:52 »

Network Rail Wessex have released this excellent thread on Twitter

https://twitter.com/networkrailwssx/status/1564975272260243456?s=21&t=FV3-1CDM_DE3A11i01ki2g
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2022, 18:29:51 »

Now something similar seems to have happened between Templecombe and Gillingham, currently all lines blocked
https://twitter.com/networkrailwssx/status/1565390662467461120?s=21&t=RCS8caHXgtG5bWXHUVD92w
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2022, 18:47:46 »

Now something similar seems to have happened between Templecombe and Gillingham, currently all lines blocked
https://twitter.com/networkrailwssx/status/1565390662467461120?s=21&t=RCS8caHXgtG5bWXHUVD92w

From SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Journeycheck:

Cancellations to services between Gillingham Dorset and Templecombe

Due to a safety inspection of the track between Gillingham Dorset and Templecombe all lines are blocked.

What's Going On:
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

What We're Doing About It:
A safety inspection of the track is taking place between Gillingham and Templecombe. All lines are now blocked again whilst this is taking place.

Tickets will be accepted at no extra cost on the following services:
- Great Western Railway services between Salisbury and Bristol Temple Meads
- Great Western Railway services between Bath Spa and London Paddington
- Great Western Railway services between London Paddington and Exeter St Davids
- Great Western Railway services between Reading and Basingstoke
- London Underground services between London Waterloo and London Paddington

Replacement buses have also been requested and an update will be provided once they are in place.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2022, 19:05:01 »

I suppose I should be grateful that I got away from Templecombe this afternoon before this latest infrastructure failure.

I am a glutton for punishment from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) though. Intended train was the 1543 from Templecombe. Destination Milton Keynes for a some mystery shopping gigs. The 1543 was an hour late. When I arrived at the station it was still calling all booked stops. That soon changed to skipping Andover, Woking and Clapham Junction. The latter being my intended first change. About 10 minutes before it showed up the calling pattern was changed again. With the train now terminating at Basingstoke.

Looking at my options, based on the CLPHM NOT LDN fare I held, informed me that I would arrive Milton Keynes over two hours late, past 10pm. Good for a full Delay Repay refund. Bad for evening eats for Finn and I.

I sought out the guard before Basingstoke who, with no fuss or query, issued me with the Authority to Travel via London that I requested. Effectively giving me a free Change of Route Excess from CLPHM NOT LDN to +ANY PERMITTED. Although the bit of paper issued won't work the barriers on the Underground. I'll probably just take the hit for the tube fare on my Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services). I shall be getting a full refund for the original fare so I think I can stretch to £1.65 for the Zone 1 single.

Top marks to both guards on the heavily delayed 1543 from Templecombe. Excellent PA (Public Address) announcements. All the interactions I saw between them and paasengers were faultless. A++

D- though to the dispatcher and information desk staffer at Basingstoke. They gave the impression they'd rather have been anywhere else than on their shifts today. Yes, they were having to deal with many frustrated passengers, and constantly changing train information (problems up from Weymouth and Portsmouth too) but that doesn't excuse snapping at folk or making sarcastic manual PA announcements.

Approaching Waterloo as I finish this missive. Hopefully the piece of paper I have in addition to my ticket sees me waived through at Waterloo and Euston. Avanti staff at Euston do have a 'jobsworth' reputatuon so, wish me luck...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 22:20:03 »

Dunno what I was worried about. Barely a second glance at my Authority to Travel at any gateline. Even Underground. Didn't use Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) after all. I'd left it at home!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2022, 11:50:31 »

Another day, another round of disruption. No trains between Salisbury and Yeovil for most of the morning.

Infrastructure falling apart.

From Network Rail Wessex internal:
WICC: Alert Message UPGRADED RED: Tisbury- Yeovil Junction- Multiple Suspected Track Defects

Initial Advice
UPGRADED RED: Tisbury- Yeovil Junction- Multiple Suspected Track Defects
Report of a suspected track defect via the driver of 1L09 (0738 Salisbury - Exeter St Davids 0944) in the Gillingham area, on the single line. As a result the line is blocked, 1L26 (0640 Exeter St Davids - Basingstoke 0928) is currently at a stand in Gillingham (Dorset) station. This service will be sent back to Yeovil Junction where it will terminate. A time out has been arranged for 0845 to discuss the train service. Salisbury MOM (Mobile Operations Manager) has been advised with an ETA of 1 hour.

Current Reports:
1L09 reports track defect at Gillingham (Dorset)- Tisbury- vicinity of SE4673 signal (103m 73ch)
1L24 reports track defect in the vicinity of Gillingham (Dorset)- Tisbury at 102m 60ch.
1L09 reports a track defect at Yeovil Junction- 123m 60ch- down direction.
2Z26 reports a kink A kink at Hunts Path no 1 Crossing (103m 45ch).
Two kinks at 102m 40ch.

Update 1122-
No buses have been supplied for Exeter at this time.
TME (Track Maintenance Engineer) has arrived on site 102M 50CH - they will walk up now and begin taking their line blockages.
Pway SM is waiting at Yeovil Junction, to ride empties once the driver completes his PNB (Personal Needs Break) at 1230.

Update 1028-
Tactical/ Time out required at 1000
Attendees- SNDM, NDM, DCM,ICEM, SDC, GWRTRSC, SC

Situation-
We currently have had four reports of track defects/ kinks as follows:
1L09 reports track defect at Gillingham (Dorset)- Tisbury- vicinity of SE4673 signal (103m 73ch)
1L24 reports track defect in the vicinity of Gillingham (Dorset)- Tisbury at 102m 60ch.
1L09 reports a track defect at Yeovil Junction- 123m 60ch- down direction.
2Z26 reports a kink A kink at Hunts Path no 1 Crossing (103m 45ch).
Two kinks at 102m 40ch.

As such we are BLOCKED from Salisbury- Gillingham.
PWAY Level 2 will be on site at 1045.
PWAY Section manager is aboard 1L36 (0925 Exeter St Davids- London Waterloo 1249) where he will leave the service and await 5L32 to examine the line.

Train Service Plan:
Currently SWR» (South Western Railway - about) are running a full service diverting via Westbury in both directions.

It is now priority to look at running a service every two hours in both directions to mitigate the possibility of meeting capacity via Westbury.
As well as preventing a possible crewing issue, with the diversion adding time/ altering their schedule.

Crews/ Stations-
Not serving Salisbury- Yeovil, buses requested.

Customer Message-
5 Buses ordered to cover Salisbury- Yeovil.
3 at Salisbury.
Look to recruit further but later in the day but on an as need basis.

Message planned for disruption till end of day.
Due to a speed restriction over defective track between Salisbury and Yeovil Junction trains have to run at reduced speed on all lines.

What's Going On:
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day on 09/09/22.

What We're Doing About It:
There is currently a speed restriction over defective track between Salisbury and Yeovil Junction. This means that trains have to run at reduced speed in both directions through these stations.

As a result of these restrictions, there will be a revised timetable operating on the West of England line from Monday 5th September.

The timetable will be available from later this week but if you are intending to travel on this route after Monday 5th September, you should check your journey before you travel as journey times will be extended and some services will not operate.

For further information or onward travel advice, please speak to a member of staff or use a station help point.

Please accept our apologies for the disruption to your journey.

Further call at 1200.

I'm informed that there's one tiny sliver of light. The buses are keeping to time!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2022, 12:55:05 »

Boots on the ground inspections have been completed. Route proving is underway, as of 1230 with an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) service from Yeovil Junction to Tisbury and return.

It's likely that the Emergency Speed Restriction between Gillingham and Tisbury will be reduced from 40mph to 20mph. Hopefully that won't effect the emergency timetable due to published shortly

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2022, 14:09:47 »

The emergency timetable has now been uploaded to online journey planners. As expected, from tomorrow, its a two hourly service between Exeter to Waterloo. Alternate hours between Yeovil Junction and Waterloo.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2022, 14:53:22 »

Saturday revised tt on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) sees alt hours EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) to WAT via Westbury with the other hour being EXD to GIL, presumably bus to Salisbury for connection.

Similar on Sunday with buses from Yeovil to Salisbury

From Monday there is the hourly Yeovil service with alt hours to Exeter
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2022, 17:01:58 »

Dunno what I was worried about. Barely a second glance at my Authority to Travel at any gateline. Even Underground. Didn't use Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) after all. I'd left it at home!

I've never seen an Authority to Travel before; what form/layout does it take?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: