17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:09:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: More bad news for travellers between Salisbury and Exeter  (Read 8840 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2022, 12:32:43 »

I note a few/several 3sxx running around, listed as Totton Yard to Totton Yard.
Wondered if they were railhead treatment trains, or perhaps carrying spoil away from Axminster?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2022, 13:04:27 »

I note a few/several 3sxx running around, listed as Totton Yard to Totton Yard.
Wondered if they were railhead treatment trains, or perhaps carrying spoil away from Axminster?

The RHTT (Rail Head Treatment Train)
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2022, 21:40:57 »

Most of the extremities of the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) network have no service during the strikes. But, thanks to the planned engineering works between Salisbury and Yeovil (10th-18th December) there are rail replacement buses running despite the strikes.

Small mercies. Unless you are a dog owner of course. I decided against attempting a journey to Sherborne on the RRBs (Rail Replacement Bus) today. Took the scheduled bus service instead. 2.5x the 'rail' fare.

Thanks Mr Lynch. Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2023, 17:07:09 »

Just been chatting to my favourite signaller earlier this afternoon in the pub, she could only have one pint because she's working tomorrow, she couldn't understand why it is that the strike shouldn't affect us tomorrow (Thursday) but there will still not be any trains running in Axminster, seems that the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) strike does not affect SWR» (South Western Railway - about), any ideas?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2023, 17:10:04 »

Yep - their drivers didn't vote for a strike (but action short of that, I think)
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2023, 22:00:13 »

So much for SWR» (South Western Railway - about) avoiding strike disruption today, 1st February 2023.

They were stating that they intended to run a full service on the mainland today. Good intentions but...

I went to Gillingham late afternoon to do some shopping. When I left Templecombe at 1643 trains were running pretty much to schedule. Did my shopping with the intention of getting the 1752 back from Gillingham. Cancelled. As was the 1819 and 1852. The 1920 and 1954 from Gillingham were also shown as cancelled from London Waterloo (1723, 1753) and were only belatedly reinstated to run from Salisbury at the last minute. Both were still showing as cancelled at Gillingham by the time I was making my way home by alternative means.

After the 1752 from Gillingham was cancelled, I retired to the pub to keep an eye on when I might next get a train over a pint. Three pints later, and after a call to SWR who said get a taxi at their expense, I got a cab home at 1915. Out of my own pocket with no idea if and when SWR will reimburse me.

Lesson learnt. Don't take a TOC (Train Operating Company) at their word when they say they intend to run a full service. Intent versus reality was at odds today.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: