Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
13:12 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 14:20:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[184] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[110] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[101] Okehampton
[55] Our first Interrail tour
[38] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[35] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Melksham Station Passenger Usage - a snapshot, May 2023  (Read 2800 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 19, 2023, 06:28:56 »

Yesterday morning - 18th May 2023 - final midweek day of the current timetable; opportunity taken of a new timetable for next week to take new timetables down to the station, and tell old friends there the headlines of the changes. Download it at http://www.mtug.org.uk/summer23sheet1.pdf

I am delighted to report that most people didn't want the printed sheet; we have reached many of them locally already through social media and through the pages of the local press who covered the story with an eyecatching picture in their recent issue.  Many people I spoke with confirmed that they always check their train times online anyway, but were happy with a confirmatory few words telling them how things were changing.  And in chatting, I was learning about the journeys people were making which helps inform on which connections and trains are important.

Some stats - from the first seven (out of 17 trains scheduled, 16 ran) - 65 passengers arriving and departing and an estimated additional 130 travelling through between Chippenham (and beyond) and Trowbridge (and beyond). I noted 33 rail destinations - 14 different stations - Chippenham, Westbury, Paddington, Filton Abbey Wood, Southampton, Swindon, Bath, Salisbury, Bristol, Reading, Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge, Aberdeen and Rowley Regis (and, yes, some seriously long distance). 8 journeys to Paddington included.  Most people walked to / from the station, second choice of onward travel was pick up / drop off, some cycles. 3 passenger parked in the station car park and caught the train.

The quietest train of the day was the 05:33 to Swindon (thank goodness - today is the last day it runs) but even there, there was a passenger joining the train and a passenger leaving it, and a handful of people could be seen passing through the windows as it passed through.  I have also spoken to a couple of other folks who have used it from time to time and will have to change their occasional routines; "disappointed but understanding".   The overall "sales pitch" has been telling people that the loss of the 05:33 is balanced by new trains from Westbury at 21:15 and (a real winner with people) the 22:30 from Swindon.  Lots of people delighted at that, with I would expect a number of them to make occasional use of it - lots of users, each from time to time, rather than daily commuters at least at first.

In other train time "wants", the message that kept coming up was "frequency" with a number mentioning that at times they have to use Chippenham as their railhead, or get picked up in Westbury.  Generally an hourly service would work; the big gaps that keep coming up are the one from 07:53 to 10:02 in departures to Swindon, and 15:39 and 18:03 between arrivals from there.

To note - the 07:53 becomes 08:02 from Monday.  Sensible for most people as it helps to even out services. However a couple of concerns from users - a missed connection into the super fast from Chippenham to London, and a missed connection into a bus to college at Swindon Station; that latter may mean students having to leave home half an hour earlier.

Several arrivals at the station looking for onward transport / buses. And that was a noticable proportion of the low arrival numbers (most morning journeys are outbound). The few departing people I spoke with about where they had walked from in Melksam had walked a considerable distance; typically they arrive at the station with more time in hand than the more local people - interesting to note that they would be served by our suggested "route 16" bus.

The cafe opened at about a quarter past seven (just before the third train). Rather sadly, I only saw a couple of passengers go in there, but then as it closes for good on 26th, I am also relieved that it has not become an automatic calling-in point for a significant proportion of passengers.  Speaking with the lady staffing it, I understand that they had good notice and all the staff have already found themselves new positions elsewhere.  She also confirmed that the car parking will continue at least for the rest of the year, and that there is no immediate takeover by another operator. "Thank you" to the staff who have worked at the hub cafe and wishing you well in your new jobs.

History after today:

Departing train - the 07:53 to Swindon

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 12:14:28 »

Final day of the old timetable, and I was down at the station in Melksham telling people about the changes coming along.

61 people left Melksham on the 6 trains that called, and 17 arrived. I estimate that a further 85 people passed through Melksham on the train without getting off - from Swindon and Chippenham to Trowbridge or Westbury, or vice versa.

I had an opportunity to speak to many people as they waited for their trains; destinations included Weston-super-mare, Paddington (8 journeys), Cardiff, Bath, Bristol Temple Meads, Swindon, Chippenham, Weymouth, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Trowbridge, Exeter St Davids, Bradford-on-Avon, Westbury and Reading. Most people arrived at the station on foot or were dropped off by private cars (no taxis all morning); just one car parked at the station.

As from next Saturday, we drop from 6 to 4 trains calling at Melksham. Ironically, one of the train that ceases (08:50 to Swindon) was one of the busiest. Most people I spoke to, however, are flexible on a Saturday morning and are pleased with the compromise of an evening service and delighed at the through trains to Weymouth.  The new timetable can be downloaded from http://www.mtug.org.uk/summer23sheet1.pdf

Completing the numbers ... 61+17(+85) is 163 users over 6 trains - 27 passengers per train. Over 4 trains from next Saturday that would rise to 41 passenger per train, and I doubt the train being dropped on a Saturday will loose much business. People are looking forward to the through trains to and from Weymouth. Some of those going to day are staying a few days; others will have poor connections coming back.

As I've seen before, the train operators are already scaling back resources prior to service changes / cuts and I note 3 cancellations this afternoon.  If GWR (Great Western Railway) cana manage consistently an reliably to operate the pruned Saturday service next weekend, I will be delighted.  If the train operators, government and unions can sort out their dispute and run trains the following Saturday, I will be even more delighted.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 13:31:35 »

A low key but effective presence

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 21:35:39 »

"I can assure you Madam I am NOT recruiting for the Melksham chapter of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and this is a timetable, not a WatchTower"  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 22:27:16 »

"I can assure you Madam I am NOT recruiting for the Melksham chapter of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and this is a timetable, not a WatchTower"  Smiley

WatchTower is available outside the closed HSBC branch on the corner of High Street, Lowborne and Bank Street on a Saturday and not at the railway station these days ...

Today was a wonderful day - all about helping people and good news.     

This morning at the station with people in our town being grateful for the train service offered and the hard work done to get from the useless service we used to have to the thin but poor one. People describing to me how much greater it is now ... people without knowing how that came to be ... and people looking forward with a vision.

This early afternoon helping to move a guest who's been staying in temporary accommodation into a longer term home and getting a feeling that, in spite of what we've had to overcome, we are moving positively forward in helping the influx who arrived in spring of last year.   They don't know the future, but they have a vision of it improving.

And late afternoon / early evening at the Shambles festival with big top and loud music in KGV park.  There as a Town Council rep - really just observing, but observing what a success it was;  so many coming up and giving the organiser a hug and it's so good to have been there to support.  And to have. vision for the second year of the festival.

This is a town where we can make a difference and it's good to be involved with much of that.  Common factor - the good people of Melksham; not just the mover and shakers. Everyone.

matth1j

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 14:05:50 »

To note - the 07:53 becomes 08:02 from Monday.  Sensible for most people as it helps to even out services. However a couple of concerns from users - a missed connection into the super fast from Chippenham to London, and a missed connection into a bus to college at Swindon Station; that latter may mean students having to leave home half an hour earlier.
Good to see you working hard at Melksham last Thursday Grahame on my 2 day a week commute to Bristol. I mentioned that the timetable changes weren't going to affect me - the 0721 to Chippenham is unchanged (although it now terminates at Worcester). However...

I only noticed this morning that the 0742 Chippenham-Bristol service that I connect with now departs at 0735, reducing the leeway to only 5 minutes. And sure enough, this morning the Melksham train was delayed due to a late running Bristol-Paddington service, so I missed my connection and had about 35 minutes to kill at Chippenham before the next Bristol service at 0809. In fact that's now the official route if you request a Melksham-Bristol ticket on the GWR (Great Western Railway) (and others presumably) website.

I guess I just have to suck it up, and celebrate the odd occasion when the fates are with me and I catch the 0735. Could be worse - at least I'm not one of the unfortunate ex-users of the 0533...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 14:18:26 »

Looking at the connection at Chippenham, it looks like you're now due in there at 07:30 and the Bristol train leaves at 07:34 (not sure where you got 07:35 from?) - meaning you are 1 minute short of being able to claim delay-repay each time it misses.  Yep - just checked and that is not an official connection at Chippenham  Embarrassed

matth1j

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 12:45:47 »

... the Bristol train leaves at 07:34 (not sure where you got 07:35 from?)
Neither am I Smiley
matth1j

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 16:35:31 »

All good this morning.

And if I do miss the (unofficial) connection, but not by much, there's enough time to console myself with a free sausage roll from Greggs in Chippenham. Those are courtesy of the Virgin train tickets app, which gives you 3 (Virgin Red) points per £1 spent, and said rolls are 200 points. So I only need 5 of my £14 Melksham-Bristol commutes per roll - I had enough points for 8 last time I checked Smiley

The app doesn't charge a fee, and works better than the GWR (Great Western Railway) one (although I haven't used the latter for a while). Other Greggs products are available - see https://www.virgin.com/virgin-red/spend-virgin-points
matth1j

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 14:24:19 »

Looking at the connection at Chippenham, it looks like you're now due in there at 07:30 and the Bristol train leaves at 07:34 - meaning you are 1 minute short of being able to claim delay-repay each time it misses. Embarrassed
Didn't see any announcement but the 07:34 (to Weston) is now the 07:36. Probably why the guard held it for a minute yesterday to allow those of us on the late running service from Melksham to leg it across the platform - much appreciated Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 14:53:51 »

Looking at the connection at Chippenham, it looks like you're now due in there at 07:30 and the Bristol train leaves at 07:34 - meaning you are 1 minute short of being able to claim delay-repay each time it misses. Embarrassed
Didn't see any announcement but the 07:34 (to Weston) is now the 07:36. Probably why the guard held it for a minute yesterday to allow those of us on the late running service from Melksham to leg it across the platform - much appreciated Smiley

Sadly, it's a "VAR" (varied timetable change) and the "WTT (Working Time-Table)" - (Working TimeTable) remains at 07:34.

The train leaves Paddington at 06:28 this week and normally. This week it has an extra call at Didcot and is then 2 minutes later as far as Bristol (08:03 arrival normally, 08:05 this week). It carries on at 08:16 to Weston.  I would suspect the extra call at Didcot is in place of a call by a Cheltenham Spa (at 07:10) train while the line via Kemble is closed (06:31 off Paddington)

No harm in asking for a tweaking in December. The line capacity would probably not allow the 06:28 to call at Didcot once the 06:31 is running again. It could probably dwell 2 minutes at Swindon, but I suspect that the powers that be would reluctant to add the time to the express.  Having said which, surely it can't be all that busy from Paddington.

matth1j

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 07:42:20 »

Sadly, it's a "VAR" (varied timetable change) and the "WTT (Working Time-Table)" - (Working TimeTable) remains at 07:34.
Thanks grahame - I suspected it was too good to be true Sad
Quote from: grahame
No harm in asking for a tweaking in December.
How do I do that?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 08:21:05 »

Thanks grahame - I suspected it was too good to be true Sad
Quote from: grahame
No harm in asking for a tweaking in December.
How do I do that?

You sorta have done.  There have been a number of tweaks and adjustments that are really good for customers and the customer base over the years - they're in everyone's interest - and they get fed through and looked at a couple of times a year.  This connection at Chippenham is on that radar, and you amplify it. Please note, though, that any suggestion that adds a couple of minutes to the elapsed time between leaving Paddington and arriving into Bristol has quite a hurdle to jump before it gets serious consideration.

matth1j

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 08:33:46 »

Please note, though, that any suggestion that adds a couple of minutes to the elapsed time between leaving Paddington and arriving into Bristol has quite a hurdle to jump before it gets serious consideration.

Understood. How about bringing the Worcester Foregate Street service forward a minute? (I believe that would be sufficient based on your previous comment http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=27514.msg334333#msg334333.)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 09:05:20 »

Please note, though, that any suggestion that adds a couple of minutes to the elapsed time between leaving Paddington and arriving into Bristol has quite a hurdle to jump before it gets serious consideration.

Understood. How about bringing the Worcester Foregate Street service forward a minute? (I believe that would be sufficient based on your previous comment http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=27514.msg334333#msg334333.)

Taking a look.  Considerations - how tight would it be over Thingley Junction behind the express to London, and whether it would need to (and be able) to leave Salisbury earlier; there is no slack at Westbury.  No problem with it sitting an extra minute at Swindon, but not sure on pathing over the junction at Royal Wootton Bassett.  If it was leaving Salisbury at 06:30 rather than 06:35, usefully add a stop at Dilton Marsh.   Leaving Westbury even a minute earlier may, though, be an issue with it very close behind the Frome to Cardiff service ... and while I'm raising concerns, that train vacates a platform to let the Salisbury to Worcester come in.  Platforms and potential conflicts in the station throat to be looked at.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: