Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:50:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disruption to rail replacement bus services  (Read 11055 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2022, 11:05:13 »

I don't think I've seen this before as a full formal posting on NRE(resolve)'s service disruptions. Has it got that common?
Disruption to rail replacement bus services between Reading and Guildford today

Incident created    25/09/2022 06:07
Last updated         25/09/2022 06:31
Route affected       Between Reading and Guildford

TOC (Train Operating Company)(s) affected     Great Western Railway;
Description           
A shortage of available bus drivers between Reading and Guildford means that fewer replacement services are able to run than originally planned.

As a result of this, only one bus will run every two hours in each direction between these stations.

Customer Advice:
Due to a shortage of available bus drivers, an extremely limited rail replacement service will run between Reading and Guildford.  Please consider using alternative routes or travel on a different day.

One bus every two hours (between 07:56 - 20:12) will run from Reading to Guildford stopping at all stations (southbound).
One bus every two hours (between 10:18 - 18:18 as well as at 22:08) will run from Guildford to Reading running non-stop.

Alternative routes:

Reading - Guildford

Travel via Ascot using trains between Reading and Ascot and between Ascot and Guildford (Journey time – 1 hour 40 minutes).

Reading - Wokingham

South Western Railway trains can run as normal.

Ash - Guildford

South Western Railway trains can run as normal.

Reading to Blackwater / Farnborough North / North Camp / Ash / Guildford

Travel via Ascot using South Western Railway trains between Reading and Ascot and trains between Ascot and Camberley (for Blackwater), Frimley (for Farnborough North), Ash Vale (for North Camp), Ash and Guildford.

Guildford to North Camp / Farnborough North / Blackwater

Travel via Aldershot using direct South Western Railway trains between Guildford and Ash Vale (for North Camp), Frimley (for Farnborough North) and Camberley (for Blackwater).

You may also use your ticket on the following services at no extra cost:

South Western Railway services between Reading and Guildford via Ascot.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 11:21:13 »

Have a look at the Castle Cary closure next month on the GWR (Great Western Railway) engineering page.  I think that may have been planned before the announcement of more strike action. Rail replacement only on certain days. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 12:18:48 »

What about Reading / Gatwick alternatives?!!

Acknowledging that one is likely to be catching a flight, surely allowance for routing via London ought to be allowed in these circumstances?!!

I’m waiting to hear whether RRS will be cancelled next Saturday if bo train service can be offered at either end of the bus service, or whether it’ll continue for the few that might wish just to travel from one end of the RRS to the other
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 12:51:21 »

Acknowledging that one is likely to be catching a flight, surely allowance for routing via London ought to be allowed in these circumstances?!!

I’m waiting to hear whether RRS will be cancelled next Saturday if bo train service can be offered at either end of the bus service, or whether it’ll continue for the few that might wish just to travel from one end of the RRS to the other

Ah, but the trains from Guildford onward are still running aren't they? (apart from earlier this morning, that is). So you are meant to divert via Ascot, taking more than an hour extra. Mind you, once I'd got to Ascot I'd be inclined to stay on to Clapham. In the past I've done that when the NDL trains were AWOL (Absent Without Leave), worrying about whether it was being permitted, or having my ticket checked. The OPJ does offer that route, at extra cost, and it takes about the same time as a stopper and change at Redhill.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 15:52:54 »

Blimey - what's the next step down from rail replacement buses when they fall over? Will skateboards be issued?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 15:55:11 »

We had a guest leaving Transatlantic on a fight today, and I drove her (from Melksham) to Gatwick ... sorry, but there's a certain point beyond which public transport becomes unfit for purpose.   08:00 from home in Melksham, 10:10 parked in short term car park at Gatport.  Perfect, lovely journey without a stop.

Assisted at checkin (will be posting "And Also") ...

Returning,  left Gatwick at 11:35, home 14:45, with a 15 minute break at Fleet services. Road conditions awful busy on M25 with speed limits down to 40 mph and some stop and start, and round the corner onto the M3, where the A303 leaves the M3 after Boringstoke, and of course a jam where the A303 goes down from dual carriageway to single carriageway on the approach to Stonehenge.   Then followed a PremiumCoaches(.co.uk) vehicle all across Salisbury Plain and the back road through Worton - driving so bad (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) I wondered whether to let his office know;  road hogging, close dangerous passing a cyclist (and a car coming the other way had to slam on brakes) and then stopping with his "plonker lights" on on the humped back bridge over the K&A - I'm guessing he had a load of tourists on board doing Stonehenge and Bath in the day.   

I "filled" up with £60 of fuel before I left and it's only half gone ... drove 215 miles, paid £13.00 to park at Gatwick.  Very much better value that the train, though of course it took my time.  But then add in that there were actually four of us in the car on the way up and three on the way back, and you see why the train - for cost as well as convenience - has become the method of travel of last resort for so many.

Edit - to add picture taken by my front seat passenger:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 16:06:19 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 15:58:47 »

Seriously, if this moves to regularity, something better will need to be agreed. People need to travel in the timeframe that is being advertised. Maybe no service from time to time, but I doubt many will find that acceptable.

It's starting to become a real problem. Surprised the media haven't picked it up although they've been alerted. (hello @Rail)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 17:16:08 »

My immediate reaction was - why not send Reading-Guildford passengers via Basingstoke and Woking - but checked SWR» (South Western Railway - about)'s website. Not headlined on the Plan my journey page, but buried in the Engineering Works "button" was that due to engineering works busses replaced trains between Woking and both Basingstoke and Guildford today.......

Has someone in NR» (Network Rail - home page) "got it in" for those trying to get round SW London to Gatwick?
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 18:23:42 »

... and of course a jam where the A303 goes down from dual carriageway to single carriageway on the approach to Stonehenge.   

Extra kudos for this kindness, for the post generally, and the photo of the A303 passing Stonehenge. It's reminded me that Highways England exploited the current period of mourning by slinging ads promoting how lovely their proposed tunnel will be with respect to its effect on travel.

The cost of an acceptable length tunnel past Stonehenge is likely to be upwards of £2 billion. I don't suppose anyone has to hand the cost of a complete redoubling of the Salisbury - Exeter line to make it fit for purpose, but even with the purchase of additional trains to support an appropriate service it will be a small fraction of the cost of the A303 motorway-by-stealth dualling past Stonehenge - which will move the congestion to the next pinch point.

Mark
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 11:55:37 »

In the back of my mind this has happened (cancellation) at least once before when a RRS has coincided with a strike, but I can't remember the TOCs (Train Operating Company)/areas concerned.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 23:53:43 »

The cost of an acceptable length tunnel past Stonehenge is likely to be upwards of £2 billion. I don't suppose anyone has to hand the cost of a complete redoubling of the Salisbury - Exeter line to make it fit for purpose, but even with the purchase of additional trains to support an appropriate service it will be a small fraction of the cost of the A303 motorway-by-stealth dualling past Stonehenge - which will move the congestion to the next pinch point.

I see that a £1.3 billion contract has been awarded out of a total cost of £1.7 billion - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-63094057 and I would expect redoubling all the way from Salisbury to Exeter would be about £0.45 billion - that's £5 million per mile, double the 2014 figure for Swindon to Kemble.

BUT ... there will be substantial income for Stonehenge if/when the tunnel is open because people will no longer get a view as they drive past - they'll have to stop and pay to go to the stones.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 05:57:19 »

BUT ... there will be substantial income for Stonehenge if/when the tunnel is open because people will no longer get a view as they drive past - they'll have to stop and pay to go to the stones.
I have a much cheaper solution than an expensive tunnel, a nice big long fence along this section of road. It’s the rubber neckers that slow all the traffic down to a crawl on both sides of the road to get a view of the stones that are the main cause of the problem not just it being a single stretch of road.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 23:10:39 »

I have a much cheaper solution than an expensive tunnel, a nice big long fence along this section of road. It’s the rubber neckers that slow all the traffic down to a crawl on both sides of the road to get a view of the stones that are the main cause of the problem not just it being a single stretch of road.
Not sure that's necessarily true. Within reason you may actually increase the capacity of a road by reducing traffic speed, as vehicles can safely be closer to each other.  Stopping distance increases exponentially with speed (or logarithmically, or another of those formulae that means it gets bigger more quickly the bigger it gets) so you don't get as many vehicles through as you might expect just because each one individually gets through quicker. 

Anyway, why shouldn't people be able to enjoy the journey?  It's not all about getting there are quickly as possible, as HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))'s opponents are often keen to point out, though ironically HS2's real purpose is increased capacity but some idiot politician thought we'd be more impressed by speed.  I may have come full circle here...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: