10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:21:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bikes on trains - it is possiple  (Read 2469 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2022, 10:04:07 »

It is possible if there is the will and the market

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotrail-highland-explorer

"Working in partnership with Transport Scotland" presumably means some level of subsidy (in addition to normal rail subsidy?). It will be interesting to see how long the service survives.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 13:49:33 »

I suspect that other TOCs (Train Operating Company) are watching this with concern, lest it be demanded elsewhere. For years most TOCs have been making carriage of cycles more complex and limited in numbers. Often called "improvements" See here for example http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=24068.0

I can remember when almost every train had a guards van/luggage van and cycles and other bulky items were carried therein without problems, even on local services. And on HSTs (High Speed Train) bulky items were, at busy holiday times, conveyed in the power cars IN ADDITION to the normal luggage area. "Obviously" no similar provision can be made these days.

There might well be a strictly unofficial view that Scotrail have "let the side down" by providing decent cycle accommodation.

Whatever next ! surfboards to popular surfing resorts ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 15:48:13 »

It is possible if there is the will and the market

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotrail-highland-explorer

"Working in partnership with Transport Scotland" presumably means some level of subsidy (in addition to normal rail subsidy?). It will be interesting to see how long the service survives.

An interesting development.  Will it be extended to other suitable routes?  Are there any suitable routes within the GWR (Great Western Railway) area?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 15:54:35 »

I think you can take it as read it's not being paid for out of revenue. If you remember this, we have figures for the line from 2019/20:
revenue per service: £871 - twice any other rural line, and not far from half an intercity one
cost to run per service: £1585
total subsidy per year: £4.92M
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 23:01:49 »

I think you can take it as read it's not being paid for out of revenue. If you remember this, we have figures for the line from 2019/20:
revenue per service: £871 - twice any other rural line, and not far from half an intercity one
cost to run per service: £1585
total subsidy per year: £4.92M

Yes, almost certainly not directly economic, but TPTB (The Powers That Be) have decided, correctly in my view, that the drain on the public purse is worth paying in order to encourage tourism, and encourage greener transport options.

Unlike the Westcountry where provision for cyclists is generally poor, luggage space very limited, and surfboards prohibited.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 06:52:06 »

Scotland is the only area, that I am aware of, that has done an economic evaluation of the benefits of cycle tourism.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 17:33:55 »

Scotland is the only area, that I am aware of, that has done an economic evaluation of the benefits of cycle tourism.

Whilst this is primarily to encourage cycle tourism, presumably there is some benefit to local residents also. Thinking of those who live within cycling distance of a station, but too far to walk.
Could make train and cycle more attractive for travel to work, rather than driving.

Elsewhere in these forums I referred to a proposal to convert some class 455 DC (Direct Current) EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) to battery power for use on West Country branch lines. Part of the proposal was to convert part of one vehicle to 2+0 seating to accommodate bulky luggage, baby carriages, AND CYCLES.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 17:43:09 »

Isn't there a practical problem here?

The Scottish provision is only possible because there are a few redundant single coach diesel units around, compatible with their current trains, and available for conversion for this use.

Any more widespread adoption would eat into the already limited diesel passenger fleet.

From my recent trips to West Scotland, I'd say definitely this is for visitors, not residents. Understandably in the light of the terrain and weather not many locals are seen on pedal cycles.   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: