09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 09:54:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So - do we have trains or not? How can we plan?  (Read 1620 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 04, 2022, 09:52:52 »

Confusion over what runs on 5th November (Melksham to Swindon) - 5 sets of conflicting information so far.

1. GWR (Great Western Railway) contracted to run 8 trains (per day), timetabled to leave from 08:00 to 18:51 outbound and 08:08 to 21:07 back

2. With Rail Strikes, national databases updated showing 5 trains to tun each way on the day - northbound at 07:53 then about every 2 hours to 16:41 and southbound from 08:45 to 17:36

(At this point, I advised our guests, who need to be in Swindon from 10:00 to 15:00, to travel out at 07:53 and back at 15:14)

3. Circular letter from Thomas Lydon (GWR) and Toby Elliot (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) stating

On the three strike days, there will be no service on the line from Reading to Taunton (via Newbury, Pewsey, Bedwyn, Castle Cary). There will be a very limited service in place from Westbury to Cardiff Central (via Bristol). There will be no service on the TransWilts line on the strike days or the days following strikes.

(Ouch!  That suggests that Melksham Station is closed from last service today - 4th November 2022 - until first service on Friday 11th November - one day short of a week!)

4. In response to a request to Thomas for clarification:

Thanks for your email and bringing this to my attention.

I have checked with timetabling colleagues and the situation has changed since I sent out the email yesterday – I’ve listed below the state of play on the Transwilts for the next week. I’ll also send an update round to stakeholders so they are aware of this change.

Saturday 5th – no service – journey planners being updated to reflect cancelled services
Sunday 6th, Monday 7th, Tuesday 8th – service in place as in journey planners
Wednesday 9th and Thursday 10th – service will run, journey planners updated on Saturday 5th. Wednesday 9th will be very similar to Monday 7th, Thursday 10th to Tuesday 8th.

(so that confirms no trains on Saturday but it's just the one day they are not running)

I have translated

Saturday - no service
Sunday - (near) normal service
Monday - shuttle service, 5 round trips
Tuesday - early services cancelled - normal from 07:53
Wednesday - shuttle service, 5 round trips
Thursday - early services cancelled - normal from 07:53

5. The journey planner, this morning, still shows the five round trips tomorrow ... I have just discovered this, and it's some 20 hours after Thomas told me "no trains - journey planner being updated"

I appreciate that Thomas and other higher management at GWR and Network Rail are concerned at the Macro and not the Micro of individual customers and what the confusion and lack of information, but just occasionally I feel it's worthwhile reminding the senior team of the confusion and angst caused by all the various changes on real people who have lives that rely on public transport, and who are not typically as informed as our members.

It helps, thank you - except that I’ve now got to get back to my party and tell them that the service has now be cancelled (and I’m glad you acknowledge it as a cancellation so it will show up in the stats, won’t it?) and they’ll need to spend 200 minutes on buses on Saturday, rather that 60 on the train!   

Can you suggest anything to help these guests from Ukraine who are struggling with the UK (United Kingdom) system and need to be in Swindon from around 9 a.m. to around 3 p.m. on Saturday, and who still struggle with the English language and British public transport  … both in terms of how to make the journey and what tickets to purchase?

Our advice to customers is not to travel by train unless necessary and make alternative arrangements – and obviously there’s no trains from Melksham on Saturday regardless. This is the case not just on GWR but nationwide as these as part of the national industrial action.

We are running a very limited service from Bristol Temple Meads to London so if your guests can make it to Chippenham they can get a train to Swindon from there; these times are in journey planners but they will start later and finish much earlier than usual.

"Nice" answer - but I don't trust that services will run as I'm being told by GWR ... using the journey planner from Chippenham and pretending it's not listing the services from Westbury, it's from the station there at 09:09, returning from Swindon at 15:29 (15:40 at Chippenham).  The X34 bus at 08:10 from Melksham goes to Chippenha Station at 08:33; there's a 16:35 bus back, so that's a 55 minute wait, and should our guests return earlier the buses from Chippenham don't event serve the railway station - they serve the bus station across town!

Logical recommendation is to give guest a very local lift to Semington for the 49 bus direct to Swindon.  Of course, the first service does not run on a Saturday, so the first arrival into Swindon is not until after 10 ... the daily National Express coach would do the job, but does not come back until mid-evening and to expect guest not familiar to find a different service back worries me.

I hope that the GWR, Network Rail, the Department for Transport, the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about), Unite, and the TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) appreciate that their collective inability to sort out their differences and provide the services they are set up for are driving even their most loyal customers away.

Our guest WILL make their meeeting in Swindon. It will be no thanks to any of the organisations in the previous paragraph ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 13:57:28 »

From Journey Check:

Sat, 5 November 07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19
Sat, 5 November 08:45 Swindon to Westbury due 09:26
Sat, 5 November 09:46 Westbury to Swindon due 10:34
Sat, 5 November 11:05 Swindon to Westbury due 11:47
Sat, 5 November 12:17 Westbury to Swindon due 12:59
Sat, 5 November 13:15 Swindon to Westbury due 13:56
Sat, 5 November 14:16 Westbury to Swindon due 15:01
Sat, 5 November 15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:58
Sat, 5 November 16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:08
Sat, 5 November 17:36 Swindon to Westbury due 18:20

05/11/22 17:36 Swindon to Westbury due 18:20 will be cancelled.
This is due to industrial action.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 15:50:16 »

6. Short term cancelled now

From Journey Check:

Sat, 5 November 07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19
Sat, 5 November 08:45 Swindon to Westbury due 09:26
Sat, 5 November 09:46 Westbury to Swindon due 10:34
Sat, 5 November 11:05 Swindon to Westbury due 11:47
Sat, 5 November 12:17 Westbury to Swindon due 12:59
Sat, 5 November 13:15 Swindon to Westbury due 13:56
Sat, 5 November 14:16 Westbury to Swindon due 15:01
Sat, 5 November 15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:58
Sat, 5 November 16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:08
Sat, 5 November 17:36 Swindon to Westbury due 18:20

05/11/22 17:36 Swindon to Westbury due 18:20 will be cancelled.
This is due to industrial action.

7. Or will they be back?

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63510380

A series of strikes by railway workers planned for 5, 7 and 9 November have been suspended, the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) union has announced.

A series of strikes by railway workers planned for 5, 7 and 9 November has been suspended, the RMT union has said.

The union, which represents rail workers, said it would now enter "a period of intensive negotiations" with Network Rail and the rail companies.

The strikes involved staff at Network Rail, which employs signalling workers across England, Scotland and Wales.

As a result, the action had been expected to have a major impact on services across the network.

So ... the "major impact" is now past tense?  And TOCs (Train Operating Company) as well as Network Rail negotiating?

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 08:26:54 »

Well if Open Train Times is to be believed the 07:37 from Westbury ran and the 08:45 return is about to run.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 08:31:54 »

Journeycheck no longer showing all the TW cancellations posted yesterday.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 10:01:55 »

Journeycheck no longer showing all the TW cancellations posted yesterday.

And Real Time Trains is starting to report actual times for actually running trains.

Too late, mateys - you have lost our business!

* I took the guests who needed to get to Swindon as far as Devizes for the 08:10 Stagecoach bus.

* I personally the caught the 08:54 Faresaver bus to Bath and am now on my next bus from there

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 12:05:45 »

Not sure if this is a thing: if an event or an individual has insurance against travel disruption that covers industrial action and the action's called off, is there a risk that people get sliced to bits when the insurer steps back from the cover as the action's no longer going ahead (while transport remains heavily disrupted).

Mark
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: