Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:09:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Lostwithiel-Fowey  (Read 23507 times)
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 10:27:31 »

Now to upset just 1 or 2 but I've been in Carne Point China Clay transfer sidings at Fowey Docks and whilst China Clay is running to from Fowey Docks reinstating passenger trains to Fowey is a NON starter.

However it might be Possible and cost about the same to Reinstate a Passenger line from Fowey to St. Blazey.

However when the French company Imerys (Misery is an Anagram) Close All their Cornish China Clay Works down then Fowey can have a Passenger service back.
Not a good move by English China Clays (ECC) to sell out to Imerys who IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) also own and operate the cheap Brazilian china clay works.

When the China Clay does go, Would make real sense for a regular Plymouth-Lostwithiel-Fowey-St.blazey-Newquay service running over both restored lines into Fowey.

Problem being that the haul road form Par Docks to Fowey is built on the trackbed of the route from St Blazey to Fowey.

Youre right about it being a bad idea to sell ECC to Imerys as all they were after is the Technology,.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 12:22:04 »

However it might be Possible and cost about the same to Reinstate a Passenger line from Fowey to St. Blazey.

However when the French company Imerys (Misery is an Anagram) Close All their Cornish China Clay Works down then Fowey can have a Passenger service back.

Perhaps their headquarters could be moved to Newark.  Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 20:40:13 »

Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 17:20:02 »

Taunton Fairwater yard had massivly expanded its freight movements, but in the far south west things are pretty stagnant and I can't see much of a future for the line to Meldon!

Meldon branch seems in quite good health under new ownership by a US freight company who want to expand operations and are very supportive of the passenger operations
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 17:33:36 »

Not related to Fowey but on the south west freight branch side the last ever clay by rail left Marsh Mills today rendering the short branch from Tavistock junction disused. Also this week the last Bitumen wagons where tripped to Cattewater, this terminal also now without traffic.....

Tavistock Jnc has been earmarked for a future possible road/rail freight interchange:

http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/environmentandplanning/planning/planningpolicy/reportofthejointstudiesarea.htm
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 09:47:24 »

I've passed through Lostwithiel a couple of times over the last few days and was wondering what the status is of all the sidings there (on both sides of the crossing). They look rather 'mothballed'.

Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 12:30:51 »

The sidings known as the clay yard at Lostwithiel is used very little as most clay trains are too big to fit in the yard and have to use the up or down goods loops.
The yard will only accomodate up to 16 wagons for a loco to be able to run round it.
When the last train from Parkandillick used to stable in there overnight it had to be split into two sidings to fit it all in, this train now runs into Fowey at night instead of first thing in the morning.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 13:45:05 »

If this article is to be believed, it seems that Cornwall Council are negotiating with Imerys to "open up" the Fowey branch line. If, as the article states, a plan to convert the down sidings at Lostwithiel into a car park goes ahead, there will be no bay platform for any branch line train to use, however. 

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/cornwall-council-backs-reviving-lostwithiel-fowey-branch-line/story-29435992-detail/story.html
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 22:40:17 »

I did wonder how long this article would take to surface !  As the Town Councillor quoted in the article, I can confirm that in conjunction with the Town Forum, Lostwithiel Town Council is pleased to be working with Cornwall Council and others, in a long term bid to improve facilities and service levels at our station.  Among these aspirations are the reopening of the branch line to Fowey to passenger traffic, however we are very aware that there a significant number of hurdles to cross before that can happen.

We hope that more short term aims are to increase the number of services that stop at Lostwithiel, throughout the day, including a later departure of the last trains of the day from Truro and Plymouth to allow people throughout Cornwall to be able to enjoy a full evening out in either city, and be able to travel to and from by train.  Certainly we are confident that the partial resignalling project and eventual stock cascades will help deliver the number of stopping trains.

We are also keen to reinstate the 'up' stop of the Night Riviera at Lostwithiel, and in response to significant public response we are keen to reinstate a footbridge at the station.

While some might consider this to be a big ask for what some consider to be a small station, I suppose the ethos is that if you don't ask you don't get, and we remain keen to point out that we have a population of circa 3000 people living within walking distance of the station.  The final draft of the Cornwall Council sponsored questionnaire has been approved, and while owing to costs it will no longer be a door to door survey, a telephone survey is expected to be done in early autumn.

This is an exciting opportunity for Lostwithiel Station, which has significant local support, and it is very refreshing to be working 'with' a local authority rather than against them !
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 23:27:32 »

, and in response to significant public response we are keen to reinstate a footbridge at the station.

A friend I was talking to missed her down train recently, she said she'd arrived 10 mins before her train was due, just as the barriers were coming down for an up freight train. The barriers didn't go up again until after her down train had passed.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 08:48:45 »

Exactly why there is a need to reinstate a footbridge.

With the frequency of trains likely to increase following the resignalling project, the level crossing will operate more frequently than now which will cause significant disruption to the train travelling public, and general circulation of road traffic and pedestrians in the town.

One of the possible stumbling blocks in reinstating a footbridge is weather any such bridge has to be DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) compliant with ramps or lifts, as formal designated ramped access is available at each platform end adjacent to the level crossing.  A DDA footbridge such as the one recently installed at St Austell is likely to be prohibitively expensive, where as a replica bridge such as that at Menheniot might be justified.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 16:22:43 »

I did wonder how long this article would take to surface !  As the Town Councillor quoted in the article, I can confirm that in conjunction with the Town Forum, Lostwithiel Town Council is pleased to be working with Cornwall Council and others, in a long term bid to improve facilities and service levels at our station.  Among these aspirations are the reopening of the branch line to Fowey to passenger traffic, however we are very aware that there a significant number of hurdles to cross before that can happen.

We hope that more short term aims are to increase the number of services that stop at Lostwithiel, throughout the day, including a later departure of the last trains of the day from Truro and Plymouth to allow people throughout Cornwall to be able to enjoy a full evening out in either city, and be able to travel to and from by train.  Certainly we are confident that the partial resignalling project and eventual stock cascades will help deliver the number of stopping trains.

We are also keen to reinstate the 'up' stop of the Night Riviera at Lostwithiel, and in response to significant public response we are keen to reinstate a footbridge at the station.

While some might consider this to be a big ask for what some consider to be a small station, I suppose the ethos is that if you don't ask you don't get, and we remain keen to point out that we have a population of circa 3000 people living within walking distance of the station.  The final draft of the Cornwall Council sponsored questionnaire has been approved, and while owing to costs it will no longer be a door to door survey, a telephone survey is expected to be done in early autumn.

This is an exciting opportunity for Lostwithiel Station, which has significant local support, and it is very refreshing to be working 'with' a local authority rather than against them !

The very best of luck to you in your campaign to improve services at Lostwithiel and reinstate a footbridge. The scenic Lostwithiel-Fowey branch line is a real unexploited treasure and in addition to providing a service between the two towns for the locals, and reducing traffic on country roads, it could generate considerable tourist revenue for both. The Okehampton summer Sunday services are possibly a good model to aspire to. In the meantime, let's hope that those siding(s) nearest the bay platform are left intact...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 20:57:04 »

I did wonder how long this article would take to surface ! 

Please accept my apologies for missing that one - I'm usually fairly prompt in picking up such items of local news, and posting them here on the Coffee Shop forum.  Embarrassed

Good luck with your campaign for those improvements!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 22:07:07 »

One of the possible stumbling blocks in reinstating a footbridge is weather any such bridge has to be DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) compliant with ramps or lifts, as formal designated ramped access is available at each platform end adjacent to the level crossing.  A DDA footbridge such as the one recently installed at St Austell is likely to be prohibitively expensive, where as a replica bridge such as that at Menheniot might be justified.

I don't, but maybe ask GWR (Great Western Railway)/Network Rail how they managed the new bridge at Kingham, which has no ramps. I think it has passive provision for lifts to be added at a later date.

(As a town councillor here in Charlbury, I sorely wish I'd been on the council at the time the monstrosity of a ramped bridge was put in here. Plenty of simple things that could have been done to make it look less hideous. Sad )
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 22:20:22 »

One of the possible stumbling
I don't, but maybe ask GWR (Great Western Railway)/Network Rail how they managed the new bridge at Kingham, which has no ramps. I think it has passive provision for lifts to be added at a later date.

No experience but aware of another case. Surely you read The Scunthorpe Telegraph  Grin Grin

A Network Rail spokesman said: "We are replacing like-for-like.

"Any other enhancements must be funded by the Department for Transport or other partners, which would require a business case based on footfall and the type of passengers which use the station."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: