06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:05 Westbury to Southampton Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 07:34:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Victoria Closure Sunday Evening  (Read 1915 times)
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2022, 22:28:53 »

If the front of the train was in a position to detrain passengers safely (even if slowly) it should have been done for both customer service and operational reasons (ignoring them might produce an action by frustrated passengers which could produce further problems for the railway). Is it not standard police policy to remove from the site those not directly involved in an incident? I am also not convinced by the suggestion that the scene might be managed by those who had been potentially traumatised by the incident. It would have been managed by the police and an operational duty manager. From what has been said this appears another example of people in control reluctant to make a decision. BUT as so little detail has been officially released one needs to exercise some caution. Were the events such that some confidentiality was needed or were they too embarrassing to reveal. I would really like to know.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2022, 03:32:25 »

Was the front of the train actually in the platform ? If it was than passengers should have been allowed to alight. Keeping them on the train under such circumstances sounds like a case of "because we can".

If the front of the train was not in the platform, then how far was it ?

This sort of incident reinforces my long held view that ALL new and refurbished electric trains should include a diesel engine or a battery to permit of low speed operation when the wires come down, or the conductor rail ices up, or the traction current is turned off, or fails.

This thread really needs a photograph that shows the position of train and platform.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2022, 10:09:49 »

It sounds as though there may have been a need for privacy surrounding whatever happened, but, yes, compounded by a failure to keep everyone informed.

Having been on a somewhat busy late evening 158 on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) the driver of which brought the train to a very rapid halt, the train was at a stand for some time and several people were starting to make unhelpful comments. It was good to hear other passengers round on them and make it clear what they suspected had just happened, and the train manager was soon on hand, visited the cab and afterwards reassured everyone, before the train was taken forward to the next station about an hour late, by which time the majority were being pretty understanding and everyone was rightly subdued. Not a journey that I like to think back on.

Mark
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 12:13:35 »

Was the front of the train actually in the platform ? If it was than passengers should have been allowed to alight. Keeping them on the train under such circumstances sounds like a case of "because we can".

If the front of the train was not in the platform, then how far was it ?

This sort of incident reinforces my long held view that ALL new and refurbished electric trains should include a diesel engine or a battery to permit of low speed operation when the wires come down, or the conductor rail ices up, or the traction current is turned off, or fails.

This thread really needs a photograph that shows the position of train and platform.

Far too many questions to ponder over with only a very vague description from the OP (Original Poster / topic starter).

IF it was that train that was involved directly in a fatality you can understand why it was not de-trained. 

If not, evacuation earlier might have been much better DEPENDING on how close the front of the train was to the platform.

IF it was a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) service then a driver has an incredible amount to do and take in, especially if it was their train that hit the trespasser, and when the PA (Public Address) fails it can be difficult to walk through a train in such circumstances when there is no other way of keeping people informed.  It highlights how having a second member of staff on board is so useful in such situations.  If it wasn’t a DOO service then there in little or no excuse for not keeping passengers better informed.

Some modern EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)’s go into ‘load shedding’ quite quickly after power is cut to the train.  The PA should be one of the last things to go.  In such a scenario I would argue lighting is actually quite a low priority these days as pretty much everyone has a phone and/or watch with a torch.  That’s not to say that it wouldn’t be desirable to have longer lasting battery supplies or an emergency engine like the Class 801’s.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 14:00:23 »

I don't see how any constructive criticism can be given when we don't know even if the train being discussed was the one involved. Please treat this like any other fatality & don't guess/comment when you don't know. THe dri8ver may have been affected & in deep stress. Therre may have been body parts visible from the front of the train & therefore seen by evacuees. We don't know!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2022, 16:03:35 »

A person had been electrocuted.  It takes time for the Police to release the scene and the body to be recovered. 
Sorry about that. But why were we not allowed to detrain at the platform since the current was switched off? And two hours to get a body off the tracks seems a very long time. Being electrocuted implies he / she was running all over the tracks for some reason.

As far as I can gather from the limited access to fault reports I have the person had not been "running around all over the tracks"  As to why the train you were on was not allowed to detrain, I do not know, the body on the line was reported by the Driver at the 'Country end of the platforms', if you were on that train the decision may have been made to keep the passengers on the train so as not to witness what was going on also the train may not have been fully platformed, the Driver is automatically removed from the scene to be interviewed and D&A tested as well as counselling, the area and driving cab would be secured as a potential crime scene.

Members of staff should been put on the train to explain what was happening and keep people updated

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2022, 14:16:38 »

The definitive response from Southern is 28 Oct at 11:41

Dear Chris

Thank you for getting in touch regarding your recent journey from Brighton to London Victoria.

I'm sorry to hear that the train came to an abrupt holt and you were delayed for such a long time, I can imagine how frustrating this must have been.

I would like to help you with your complaint, however, in order to do this I require further information therefore please could you reply to my email with the departure time of this service so that I can locate the exact train.

Once I have this information I will be able to assist you further.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you again soon. 

Kind regards
Tara
Customer Relations Advisor
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: