13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
09:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 11:26:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[192] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[102] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[86] Death of another bus station?
[51] You see all sorts on the bus.
[49] "Mayflower"

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: London-West Timetable  (Read 26861 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 18:27:48 »

I think Pewsey is similar to Penkridge (between Wolverhapmton and Stafford on the B'ham branch of the WCML (West Coast Main Line)).

*Major P&R (Park and Ride) railhead for commuters.

*Gets relatively few trains (compared to those which speed through).

*The few trains are used well.

I looked in the timetable, and there are no "fast" trains to/from London in the peaks. Off peak, it is about an hour, peak it is longer.

NB: The only reason Penkridge remained open during Beeching, is that "Lord X of Penkridge" threatened to remove the rights for the WCML to run across his land if the station was closed!
adelante

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 17:06:39 »

walrusthefirst, I agree with you and the timetable I am producing has incoporated many Pewsey, Castle Cary and Westbury stops to serve a large range of destination.

Conner, I would like to see this timetable because I am doing one too. Maybe you could send it to me.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2008, 17:09:21 »

walrusthefirst, I agree with you and the timetable I am producing has incoporated many Pewsey, Castle Cary and Westbury stops to serve a large range of destination.

Conner, I would like to see this timetable because I am doing one too. Maybe you could send it to me.

Welcome to the forum Adelante -or shall we call you 180?
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 17:09:47 »

Yeh, I will do that, it is not finished yet but please take a look.

And Welcome to the Forum, do you like Adelantes?
adelante

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 17:13:25 »

In my view too, the post by walrusthefirst was well out of order, and that view is shared by the rest of the moderator team.  Walrusthefirst was asked to modify his post and make other appropriate amends within a certain amount of time, but failed to do so (or respond in any other way) within that time given, so his account has been suspended from posting for an indefinite period - read "for ever" if I never hear back.

It is with deep regret that such action was taken, and it's very unusual indeed for such a step to be necessary here; I think it's the first time I have ever written a post like this on "The Coffeeshop". However, the administrators (and I as site owner in particular) have some legal and moral obligations ... so let this be a reminder that we'll act if we have to.  Since the transgressing post has been quoted back in a later thread, admirably and by the member attacked, I have left the original in situ so that all members can read back through the full history.

I agree that Pewsey should have more services, maybe a mixture of London-westbury/Exeter semi-fast and intercity services to/from london-plymouth/penzance.

Perhaps he is on holiday........

I believe he actually had a valid point, and perhaps worded it harshly!

D/m:

They would have had a valid point, had s(he) made it earlier. As I said before, I misunderstood the type of services running in that region and assumed that Pewsey would have additional local services. Just to clarify: I now can see that Pewsey is an InterCity station and needs  HSTs (High Speed Train)/180s. In fact, why not give them more?

And the spelling I have already explained.

------------

Back on topic: i was wondering why have not put in a reversal at Pewsey and extend the "NSE (Network South East)" service to there. I suppose:

*a - not enough Thames Turbos Roll Eyes
*b - Pewsey is more of a P&R (Park and Ride) station for long distance London travel

Any ideas?
woody

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2008, 10:54:08 »

Yes, but these stops have resulted in the end of the 3 hour time to Plymouth.

No they have not!!

There are 0 services between London and Plymouth that take 3 hours. To achieve a 3 hour journey, then a service must ditch Taunton, Tiverton, Newton Abbot and Totnes. The Plymouth stoppers call at all of these so would be nowhere near 3 hours!
The 06.00 Plymouth to Paddington arrives in Paddington at 09.00(3 Hours)after calling Newton Abott,Exeter.Taunton and Reading and is aimed at the business market from Plymouth where it competes with air south wests early morning Plymouth/Gatwick hence the very tight timings required on this service.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:43 »

Yes, but how often does it achieve an on-time arrival at Paddington?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 11:20:48 »

[/quote]
The 06.00 Plymouth to Paddington arrives in Paddington at 09.00(3 Hours)after calling Newton Abott,Exeter.Taunton and Reading and is aimed at the business market from Plymouth where it competes with air south wests early morning Plymouth/Gatwick hence the very tight timings required on this service.
[/quote]

No contest in my mind. the ASW service departs at 0645, and anyone arriving later than 0615 is denied boarding. Realistically you need to be arriving at the airport around 0600 latest. It arrives at LGW at 0830, so the earliest plausible arrival at Victoria is around 0915. (Though it has a slight advantage in that Thameslink services can take you direct into the city.)

Or you sit and snooze on the train for 3 hours.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2008, 15:06:12 »

More proof the train is the way forwards...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7453928.stm
John R

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2008, 15:33:05 »

Seems a curious time to cease the service, half way through the scottish school holidays. Suspect bookings have been much poorer than expected.

Routes where the train alternative takes 5 hrs plus probably have a place, but those where you can do the train journey in around 3 hours really shouldn't survive (eg Bristol - Manchester).
woody

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2008, 21:34:01 »

Yes, but how often does it achieve an on-time arrival at Paddington?
The 3hour 0600 Plymouth/Paddington was the result of pressure by the regions business leaders for a fast earlier arrival in Paddington than the "Hind".To achieve this FGW (First Great Western) initially used 180s with their superior excelleration to keep to the tight timings.However I read somewhere on this Forum that FGW now use a high density 2+7 HST (High Speed Train) set on this service for the same reason.
 Also prior to the launch of the fast 0600, local airline ASW was claiming it could get you in London from Plymouth via Gatwick/Victoria earlier than the "Hind".Hence FGW launched the 3 hour 0600 Pymouth/Paddington service.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2008, 21:37:38 »

I know that. Besides, it used to be the 0548 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) which arrived at 0848. Much better IMHO (in my humble opinion)
woody

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2008, 21:49:38 »

More proof the train is the way forwards...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7453928.stm
Air South West recently launched new flights from Plymouth/Newquay to Newcastle/Glasgow
http://www.airsouthwest.com/news/shownews.php?ne_id=184
Will be interesting to see if they survive as well.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2008, 22:32:15 »

Routes where the train alternative takes 5 hrs plus probably have a place, but those where you can do the train journey in around 3 hours really shouldn't survive (eg Bristol - Manchester).

Coincidentally, John, a colleague and I were today invited to a meeting in Manchester in September.  Reading our e-mails, we both immediately said, 'Alright - but we'll go by train!'

Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2008, 22:35:03 »

Good. I'm boycotting the promotion that I was invited to today (goodness knows why) by ASW and City Inn to promote ASW's new services from Bristol.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: