27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:10:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Devon Day Ranger ticket  (Read 2427 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: November 07, 2022, 07:25:04 »

I am attending a meeting in Devon on Saturday and am considering coming down on Friday and using a Devon Day Ranger ticket on that day, for travel from Tiverton Parkway onwards into Devon.

As far as I can see on the National Rail site, the ticket is valid for travel during the weekday morning peak, i.e. before 9am. Can someone confirm that is the case?

Also, can the ticket be bought on board a train? If so, would that include Cross Country services using Tiverton Parkway, or would I need to buy the ticket in advance elsewhere?

Thanks.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 07:58:42 »

The Devon Day Ranger now has a B3 restriction - not valid between 0429 and 0900.

Therefore the train you intend to use it on must depart Tiverton at or after 0900.

You must be in possession of a ticket or series of tickets for the entirety of your journey before you depart your origin station if that station is part of the penalty fare scheme.  If that is not possible, you must be in posession of any extra ticket/s before the validity of any held tickets expires.

You'll be very hard pressed to buy a ticket onboard a Crosscountry train; very, very few XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train managers bother with revenue duties.

And don't forget, if using a combination of tickets where one of them is a season/period/ranger or rover, the train does NOT have to stop at the splitting station.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 10:06:23 »

The Devon Day Ranger now has a B3 restriction - not valid between 0429 and 0900.

Therefore the train you intend to use it on must depart Tiverton at or after 0900.

You must be in possession of a ticket or series of tickets for the entirety of your journey before you depart your origin station if that station is part of the penalty fare scheme.  If that is not possible, you must be in posession of any extra ticket/s before the validity of any held tickets expires.

You'll be very hard pressed to buy a ticket onboard a Crosscountry train; very, very few XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train managers bother with revenue duties.

And don't forget, if using a combination of tickets where one of them is a season/period/ranger or rover, the train does NOT have to stop at the splitting station.

Many thanks.

The National Rail website page doesn't show that restriction. Is it new, or has it been missed off the page? (which does seem rather spartan, so wouldn't be surprising).

I did wonder about the splitting station bit when making a journey that we split at Didcot recently, as I thought I had read that here, but decided it felt safer to keep to trains which did stop there.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 11:21:20 »

The National Rail website page doesn't show that restriction. Is it new, or has it been missed off the page? (which does seem rather spartan, so wouldn't be surprising).

Yes, there's a whole section titled "Details" that's present in the others but missing here. Presumably this is a failing of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s (I guess) information management within whatever mysterious and complicated process puts these pages together. Rovers & Rangers are now shown in BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares, which is an easier place to find the information, and evidently more reliable.
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 23:56:03 »

I have always found the site to be reliable as regards restrictions applicable to Rovers and Rangers.

http://www.railrover.org/pages/devon-day-ranger.html
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 19:56:38 »

Yes, there's a whole section titled "Details" that's present in the others but missing here. Presumably this is a failing of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s (I guess) information management within whatever mysterious and complicated process puts these pages together. Rovers & Rangers are now shown in BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares, which is an easier place to find the information, and evidently more reliable.

I see that the fares on the National Rail website haven't been updated either.

On split ticketing at Tiverton Parkway, and the point about the train not having to stop at that station. What happens with, for example, the train that leaves Taunton at 08.57 and arrives at Exeter St Davids at 09.23. It doesn't stop at Tiverton Parkway, but would obviously be passing through after 09.00, but would it be counted as a valid service to use?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 20:00:43 »

In that case, I think you'd need to book a ticket to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) & then use the ranger ticket onwards from there.

Very happy to be proved wrong though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: