09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 12:09:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[296] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[235] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[56] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[39] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[35] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[17] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping to time - video  (Read 4982 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2009, 14:39:08 »

I've found a video called "About Time". (of which "Part 1" is linked below) It was made by Network South East (in my guess late eighties/early ninties) for staff, and demonstrates how to run a punctual railway.

It makes out so many good points that are relevant today. (from a passenger's pov) Things like: drivers not coming out of the staff room 30s after the train should have left, and not having the attitude that time can be made up later - two thing which I observe too often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_EL9g8ylQ&feature=related

It is also pleasing to hear the correct term "signalman" used in the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises), instead of wrong "signaller".
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 14:41:57 »

It is also pleasing to hear the correct term "signalman" used in the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises), instead of wrong "signaller".
No all signallers are male.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 15:36:32 »

Not all signallers are male.

A woman can be a signalman. It is a gender specific word, as the "man" comes from he Latin "manus" meaning "hand". A signalman operates signals by pulling a lever, or pressing buttons. (i.e. using their hands)

It is the same reason why a woman can be a chairman - a chairman HANDles the meeting.

"Signaller" suggests that the person is standing next to the tracks signalling to the trains waving a flag! No they're not signalling, they are operating the signals.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 15:56:10 »

Not all signallers are male.

A woman can be a signalman. It is a gender specific word, as the "man" comes from he Latin "manus" meaning "hand". A signalman operates signals by pulling a lever, or pressing buttons. (i.e. using their hands)

It is the same reason why a woman can be a chairman - a chairman HANDles the meeting.

"Signaller" suggests that the person is standing next to the tracks signalling to the trains waving a flag! No they're not signalling, they are operating the signals.

Well said Btline lets get a campaign going to bring back signalman/men.

When my grandmother was Mayor of Southampton she ws Mr. Mayor and woe betide anyone who forgot and called her the Mayoress (who was my mother).

Back on the subject there is also a very good BTF film about running on time done in the late 60/70s (when the Hoovers were new.). It's a Euston to  Glasgow train and shows how from a late start due to driver not switching AWS (Automatic Warning System) from one of loco to other it's finally well over 15 minutes late at Preston. The Hoover came on at Crewe and looks brand new and a low number.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:31:49 »

Back on the subject there is also a very good BTF film about running on time done in the late 60/70s (when the Hoovers were new.). It's a Euston to  Glasgow train and shows how from a late start due to driver not switching AWS (Automatic Warning System) from one of loco to other it's finally well over 15 minutes late at Preston. The Hoover came on at Crewe and looks brand new and a low number.

It is called "the Pain Train", IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 18:39:54 »

Where do you observe this? It's not my experience, but I only work on the trains. 

At Worcester on many occasions! (LM (London Midland - recent franchise) services especially)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 19:38:39 »

My favourite is when the minutes state "It was the Chair's decision...."

The apostrophe 's stands for "his", i.e. "the Chair, his decision"

I love how the English language invariably has the last laugh. The misguided P.C. brigade can try all they want to mangle our vocabulary, but in the end common sense will always prevail.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 15:07:21 »

There was very very bad spell several years back on GW (Great Western) and GW link particularly in the evening peak. Trains were leaving late from Padd because the driver was late arriving on an incoming service and the changeover was too tight.

Would hope with the better timekeeping FGW (First Great Western) is managing to obtain and longer turnrounds for drivers at Padd this problem has been solved. But it is an illustration that punctuality has to worked on and it requires constant effort to maintain a consistently high level.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 16:52:38 »

Where do you observe this? It's not my experience, but I only work on the trains. 
At Worcester on many occasions! (LM (London Midland - recent franchise) services especially)
I would be very surprised to learn it was true, though.

Be prepared to be surprised, because it is. I do, however, appreciate that you, and most other train crews, would never do this.

Indeed, thankfully, it has got better in the past year or so. Timetable slack does not help the matter...

If you watch the video I linked to, you can see an eg of a railwayman who admits that they used to not care as much about starting a train late. However, they now appreciate how important punctuality is. Another interesting part is the driver who describes how a 2 minutes delay stating at Ramsgate (I think) unavoidably ends up being a 10 minute delay at London.

In conclusion, I still think that lessons could be learned from the vid today.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 18:29:00 »

Something very apparent on the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) nework too, where delays at the start of a journey mean the entire rain can end up hours late
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 14:33:34 »

Sorry for the mis-understanding. I wa not pointing the finger at anyone - mearly pointing out what I had observed. Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: