Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 02:09:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakaway to East Anglia  (Read 4261 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2022, 20:24:44 »

Some blowing away of cobwebs and a sort of sanity check prescription break for me.

It may not be as picturesque as Ireland or Sicily but I'm taking a few days away to Great Yarmouth. Why there? Because it was cheap!

Set off this afternoon, traveling from Templecombe to Paddington via Basingstoke and Reading. I decided to go via Paddington rather than Waterloo because of the Elizabeth Line. Having a wheelie case and dog in tow it is far far easier to use the Elizabeth Line to Liverpool St. Lifts vice escalators, no steps, no need to carry Finn. A breeze.

As I write I'm on a Class 745 from Liverpool St to Norwich. My first time on said rolling stock, and first time on a train with Jacobs bogies. First impressions of the 745s? Novel to be able to see almost the length of the train on 'intercity' style rolling stock. Perfectly comfy seats in a nice interior. Dare I say it... an improvement on the loco hauled Mk3s.

Broadgage will be delighted to read the following...

Nice to have a buffet counter too. A hot sausage ciabatta, some Jacobs (appropriately) Mini Cheddars and a couple of local (to the route) ales. Proper train travel. Finn has enjoyed his sausage slice and handful of Cheddars. He's not sharing my ale though!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 22:36:07 »

The main bar in my hotel tonight (Carlton - Great Yarmouth) is closed as there's cabaret and bingo in the function room. I joined the Wallace Arnold crowd briefly. Billy no mates in a room full of OAPs!

Nice enough hotel. A typical British seafront affair that obviously gets the majority of its business from coach parties. Nothing wrong with that. My single room was cheap as chips. £30 a night B&B. £10 a night for Finn.

Strange trait of mine, but I do like the big seaside towns. Particularly out of season when they're quiet (and cheap). There's something about the faded glory that speaks to me.

Tomorrow I'm off the Hoveton and Cromer with an Anglia Plus Day Ranger.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 11:55:21 »

There's something about the faded glory that speaks to me.

Do you think you find that, in a railway-related sense, at Templecombe?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 12:36:41 »

From Great Yarmouth to Cromer via Norwich.

Beer on the pier.
Where I can see the sea
With some Quavers cheesy.
Just a little bit breezy.

I'm no Wordsworth!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 12:43:25 »

I'd put that poem in one of those wheelie bins....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 13:36:47 »

I'd put that poem in one of those wheelie bins....

I'm not headed for Laureate then?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 13:55:47 »

Finn zhoomies on Cromer beach.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 14:16:37 »

Today Finn and I have taken the train over to Thetford. This is where a lot of the Dad's Army outside scenes were filmed. Thetford doubling as Walmington-on-Sea. Thetford is home to the Dad's Army museum. There's also a mapped route round the town taking you to filming locations.

As I type I'm having lunch in Pike's Bar at the Bell Hotel. This is where many of the cast stayed during filming.

Meeting Mainwaring.

A nod to the Dad's Army title sequence with a wavy path leading to a Union Flag arrowhead under the Mainwaring statue.

"Now, pay attention!"

Something Nasty In the Vault.
"Don't panic, Captain Mainwaring. DON'T PANIC!"

Museum tea room lady in period WRVS costume.

Mill Lane, Thetford where the scene of the platoon being marched to Walmington-on-Sea harbour by the Nazis in "The Deadly Attachment" was filmed. Thetford of course doesn't have a harbour!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 14:23:33 by JayMac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 16:10:39 »

Heading back to Norwich from Thetford on an EMR» (East Midlands Railway, also known as EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) (East Midlands Trains) - about) Regional Class 158. Much nicer interiors than the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) 158/159s I'm used to. These EMR sets have the same comfy seats as GWRs (Great Western Railway) Castle Class Mk3s.

Whilst the Class 158 is an excellent inter-regional train, running just 2 cars on services between Liverpool and Norwich is totally inadequate. The set I'm on is almost full - and that's after it's final stop at Thetford, before Norwich. And I've seen a couple 2 car units leave Norwich full and standing in the past few days.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 17:41:28 »

Beer on the pier.
Where I can see the sea
With some Quavers cheesy.
Just a little bit breezy.

I'm no Wordsworth!

No - more like Wadworths !
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 10:47:05 »

Homeward bound.

A quick photo op at one of England's remotest and least used stations.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 13:15:10 »

After seeing there were signalling problems at Stowmarket I decided to reroute via Ely. Delays there meant a change of plans for lunch - onward to Cambridge.

Neither station pub at Cambridge was doing food today. Staffing problems for both. Surprising, considering this is a student city and it's the weekend. Neither of the hotels with food offerings near the station would allow dogs in.

Ho hum. Greggs bake on the pavement seats. Sausage roll for Finn.

Onward to Farringdon in a bit for Liz Line to Paddington. Maybe a proper meal in the Mad Bishop and Bear instead.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 16:16:21 »

Roast beef was off in the MBB at Paddington. Didn't fancy the turkey or owt else on the menu. So thought I'd grab a Burger King Whopper meal instead. Nope. BK unit at Paddington is closed.

Drowned my sorrows with a couple Fuller's Golden Pride.

I've not had much luck getting food today. Fingers crossed for BK at Reading.

From there its the SuO ((in timetables) Sunday only) SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service to Salisbury before stepping back onto the following WAT-AXM service for Templecombe.

I've had a cracking four days away. Great Yarmouth, great hotel, great sightseeing, Greater Anglia trains have be great.

Finn has left wee-mails across East Anglia and he was the star of the show in the hotel with the coach party crowd. It's surprising just how many lovely wobbly old ladies have dog treats in their handbags. Even if they've left their pups with family, friends or kennels while off on their seaside jolly.

Can't speak for Finn but I've had a stimulating time. Just what I needed after a bit of mental health wobble last week.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 17:04:19 »

Glad you had a good time in East Anglia. Sometimes it’s just good to get away. Thanks for sharing your pics and reports with us.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 17:17:53 »

Finally!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: