I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:13:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Taunton - WSR shuttle starts: July 27, 2019
  • WSR shuttle last for 2019: October 05, 2019
  • Trains restart - Minehead: March 23, 2024
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: West Somerset Railway - heritage line, Bishops Lydeard to Minehead - merged topic, ongoing discussio  (Read 183974 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2017, 15:04:54 »

I would foresee a mixture of heritage services that call at every station and are limited to 25 MPH, and through commuter services running at 40MPH and calling at principle stations only.

I would suggest that an excellent way to finance the new service would be for developers to build Stogumber New Town and Blue Anchor Harbour Retirement Complex served by some of the more minor stations, and finance the build up operation via CIL / 106 funding ... of course, that would turn Stogumber and Blue Anchor into principle stations

HSTs (High Speed Train) are the obvious choice ...

Are you sure - can't get to Minehead any more?    / 13th May

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2017, 15:27:47 »

I can see it now "The 17:36 Great Western Railway service to Westbury, has been cancelled, this is due to a member of staff being unavailable" Cue passengers grumbling and starting to find alternative routes, when suddenly Graham comes along the track pulling a 153.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2017, 16:24:38 »

I would foresee a mixture of heritage services that call at every station and are limited to 25 MPH, and through commuter services running at 40MPH and calling at principle stations only.

I would suggest that an excellent way to finance the new service would be for developers to build Stogumber New Town and Blue Anchor Harbour Retirement Complex served by some of the more minor stations, and finance the build up operation via CIL / 106 funding ... of course, that would turn Stogumber and Blue Anchor into principle stations

HSTs (High Speed Train) are the obvious choice ...

Are you sure - can't get to Minehead any more?    / 13th May

I thought that Blue Anchor was ALREADY a retirement complex  Smiley
As for the prohibition on HSTs to Minehead, they have been there before so presumably whatever the impediment is, it can be removed.

More seriously though at a time of rising housing demand there is something to be said for building more housing in the area and financing rail improvements thus.
There is a large new housing development underway in the general area, but not near a WSR station unfortunately.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2017, 18:40:37 »

The impediment is the state if the track....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2017, 18:40:56 »

As for the prohibition on HSTs (High Speed Train) to Minehead, they have been there before so presumably whatever the impediment is, it can be removed.

Changes were made, since the last HST went to Minehead, to Watchet's platform face, reducing what was a large gap for boarding and alighting passengers. HST power cars would now foul the platform. That's one reason why the recent GWR (Great Western Railway) railtour from Paddington was cut back to Bishops Lydeard.

Because of the limited clearance HST power cars would have to have the steps up to the cab removed.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2017, 19:39:44 »

More staff required if longer hours or a year round services proposed. Its a long single track railway and the 'heritage' feel will be greatly diminished.
In terms of heritage railways in general, I've thought for a while that any proposals for providing a public-transport service would need to involve a 'National Rail' TOC (Train Operating Company), who would operate services in the low season (using Sprinter DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for example). Then, in the tourist season, the heritage railway would run the services releasing the DMUs for strengthening 'National Rail' services elsewhere. Both would still be limited to 25mph on the heritage railway's infrustructure though.

The faster services would use older main line stock that is passed for use on the national network. HSTs (High Speed Train) are the obvious choice as some will soon be surplus to requirements elsewhere and these now old trains should be affordable to purchase or lease.
The "get you home redundancy" of two power cars would be most valuable on the national network to avoid hugely costly delay minutes in case of breakdown.
HSTs ARE borderline heritage now!
The class 150 Sprinters are also borderline heritage, although there's a longer wait before any of them are retired. Class 153s and Pacers though look likely to be withdrawn in the next few years. A problem with your suggestion is that the heritage railway's track standards may not be sufficient for the safety regulator to approve speeds in excess of 25mph; in fact I would guess (without having checked the sectional appendix or anything like that) that the North York Moors railway trains to Whitby are permitted to exceed 25mph on the Network Rail metals but not on the heritage line.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2017, 19:58:27 »

Indeed, one of the attractions of the NYMR (North Yorkshire Moors Railway) is the ability to have some running at speeds in excess of 25mph once on Network Rail metals.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2017, 23:26:57 »

The fact that no preserved railway has felt able to justify passenger services beyond 25mph (on its own metals) is a bit of a clue to that.

Nearly a fact. But the Great Central Railway is not limited to 25mph. On my recent visit there I timed both steam and diesel hauled services at 40+mph.

Having done some additional research, the Great Central Rule Book (as at 3/5/15) specifically states that the maximum permitted speed under normal circumstances is 25 mph, and I'm guessing that anything other than normal circumstances would not involve passenger hauled trains.  It also states that checks can be made at any time.

http://www.orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/22745/raib-loughborough-central-2016-05-09.pdf

I was there. Speedometer app on my phone recorded a top speed on a Class 37 hauled passenger service of 43mph. Touched 41mph on the steam hauled service too. Even allowing for GPS speedometer inaccuracy I'm confident we ran at speeds in excess of 25mph for sustained periods.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2017, 07:52:10 »

I'm not doubting you BNM. I'm sure they must have now got authority to run at a higher speed as a matter of course, as given the reason those documents are on the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) site I can't imagine that anyone would flout the rules.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:25 »

given the reason those documents are on the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) site I can't imagine that anyone would flout the rules.

I can. It didn't stop a mainline operator of heritage trains breaking the rules on a number of occasions and ignoring recommendations from RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)/ORR for a while, putting the safety of many people at risk.

BNM - maybe you should pass your concerns on to the ORR/RAIB and let them look into it - I think they sometimes do random speed checks on mainline railways, so I see no reason why they shouldn't check a heritage railway out.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:33 »

Signal spacing and braking distances are largely unaltered from BR (British Rail(ways)) days, when much of the line was 45 MPH with a few bits of 60MPH.
The line speed on the branch was 55 mph.  No bits of 60 mph (officially at least, although the Swindon & Gloucester RCW Cross Country sets did roll well  Wink )

When I was involved in laying out the signalling for the re-opening, we had to design for a line speed of 40 mph (for DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit)), as was stated in the Light Railway Order (1975) which gave the legal basis for the WSR to operate the railway.  At the time, this was particularly relevant for the AOCL (Automatic Open Crossing (Locally monitored) A level crossing without barriers that is observed by the train crew before they proceed over the crossing) crossings at Dunster (Sea Lane), Leigh Woods and Roebuck Gate, as well as the pedestrian crossing at Watchet (Goviers Lane).

The use of the 40 mph limit never happened, as the year-round DMU service we intended didn't materialise.  The costs of the Running Powers Agreement (for the Norton Fitzwarren - Taunton portion, using the former Up Relief line) and the maintenance and inspection regime for the vehicles proved prohibitive for the penniless WSR of those days.

The line evolved into the heritage railway that exists today, and I know many of those now involved would absolutely resist the ideals us pioneers had, back in the 1970s

perhaps I should add that after working for BR as a signalman, I was employed by the WSR as its first Operating Superintendent, from 1976 to 1979.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2017, 19:20:39 »

... in which case, may I thank you for your informative (and very well informed) post here, Witham Bobby.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2017, 10:44:39 »

The WSR held a diesel traction gala last weekend (10 & 11 June 2017) and a GWR (Great Western Railway) operated DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) shuttle was supposed to have operated between Taunton and Bishops Lydeard, with 7 out and back services from Taunton planned for each day.

In the event, the shuttles were cancelled and a rail replacement bus with GWR representative on-board was substituted, for "operational reasons", I gather.

[Edit to correct spelling - on-board, not on-beard  Grin]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:29:50 by Witham Bobby » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2017, 11:30:08 »

I enjoyed the gala but agree that a lack of the expected shuttle to/from Taunton was a disappointment and also shows GWR (Great Western Railway) in a poor light.
Some shuttles up to the network rail boundary were run with WSR DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit), not much good for getting anywhere but an interesting trip over a very seldom used bit of track.
Some wag suggested (light-heartedly) that perhaps we should carry on to Taunton ! after all the notice at the boundary states "West Somerset Railway locomotives not to pass this point" So no problem with a DMU passing the boundary then !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2017, 21:10:03 »

The replacement of the Shuttle service by a bus was due to a severe shortage of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) which had resulted in many short formed trains and even cancellations.   Running the Shuttle and cancellations taking place would have put GWR (Great Western Railway) in a worse light still.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: