Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here]. Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
September 21, 2017, 01:07:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  
Author Topic: West Somerset Railway - heritage line, Bishops Lydeard to Minehead - possible link to main line at Taunton (ongoing discussion)  (Read 48971 times)
Four Track, Now!
Global Moderator

I know nothing. Really.

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »

In the event, the shuttles were cancelled and a rail replacement bus with GWR representative on-board was substituted, for "operational reasons", I gather.

[Edit to correct spelling - on-board, not on-beard  Grin]

You hipster, you...

Now, please!
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2017, 12:39:04 AM »

As someone who has worked on a large heritage line's track gang for many years and been a member of the Permanent way institute, I can confirm that the limitation to 25mph running is often nothing to do with the track quality but simply a limitation of the light railway order. ie - to run faster requires a mountain of extra paper work ! It doesn't always require a track upgrade. Some heritage lines have superior track to parts of the national network.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2017, 01:20:39 AM »

As someone who has worked on a large heritage line's track gang for many years and been a member of the Permanent way institute, I can confirm that the limitation to 25mph running is often nothing to do with the track quality but simply a limitation of the light railway order. ie - to run faster requires a mountain of extra paper work ! It doesn't always require a track upgrade. Some heritage lines have superior track to parts of the national network.

Welcome to the forum, sikejsudjek3

There are indeed some heritage lines which have superb permanent way ... and I have seen others that struggle to keep their track and rolling stock in working order.  They operate under "light railway order"s - which I understand were brought in under the light railways act of 1896,  facilitated by the transport and works act of 1992 which allows new construction by order of the minister of transport rather than requiring a private act of parliament.   

The approach is very much "let's be sensible and not price a little local service that can do a great deal of good out of the market by imposing mammoth requirements on it", but it's very much a "one size fits all" approach, hence limits like the 25 m.p.h.    This form of low-threshold limitation isn't unique to railways - the Bed and Breakfast rules / laws allow for some relaxations in accommodation provision to owner-run, owner-lives-there hostelries below a certain size, and businesses with less than 6 employees are exempt from certain provisions and paperwork.   Such provision is fantastic to help move things along in a pragmatic way, but adds false hurdles to enhancements just beyond the limit. A sort of poverty trap ...

TransWilts Rail - Linking North to West and South 9 times a day. [see here]
Four Track, Now!
Global Moderator

I know nothing. Really.

View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »

Welcome indeed, sikejsudjek3!

Now, please!
Red Squirrel

Brexit simplified

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »

It's not just the track, is it? A lot of the rolling stock used on heritage lines, while safe enough at 40km/h, soon starts to look a bit dodgy if you start pulling it along any faster. As well as insecure doors and windows, many of these carriages (which would not have met modern safety standards when new) are now weakened by rust and rot.

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. Nescio. Sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes it would help if there was another category of light railway order that allowed for faster running using more modern stock (locking doors, etc) maybe up to 40 mph, with the appropriate standard of P.Way tamping and checking. This would make running commuter services over preserved lines more attractive. My own preserved line has been laying continuous welded rail with stressing and welds completed and checked by network rail contractors, has had the rails ultrasonically checked, and regular tamping. Its also visually checked each week.

By contrast I had a trip on the Isle of Wight Ryde to Shanklin service this summer. You'd be hard pressed to find ride quality that bad on most preserved lines ! I'd be amazed if it isn't getting close to safety limits. Through the platforms (and I assume elsewhere ?) it seems to be old bull head rail with shingle ballast. It feels like there is plenty of track twist causing the stock to continually roll. The line speed is around 50 mph ! It felt so bad in places I decided to sit at the back of the second coach.... There is absolutely no way that we would tolerate ride quality that bad on our heritage line. Ironically most of our track is more modern and built to a far higher standard.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »

Probably worth splitting this off / separate IOW thread under South Western Railways?

Now done: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18706.0

CfN.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »

Probably worth splitting this off / separate IOW thread under South Western Railways?

Now done: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18706.0

CfN.  Smiley

Many thanks - don't like to 'moderate' myself.  Kinda Judge and Jury thing

TransWilts Rail - Linking North to West and South 9 times a day. [see here]
Red Squirrel

Brexit simplified

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »

...Kinda Judge and Jury thing

I read that as 'Kinda Judge Judy thing'...

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. Nescio. Sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Four Track, Now!
Global Moderator

I know nothing. Really.

View Profile Email
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:44 PM »

It's not just the track, is it? A lot of the rolling stock used on heritage lines, while safe enough at 40km/h, soon starts to look a bit dodgy if you start pulling it along any faster. As well as insecure doors and windows, many of these carriages (which would not have met modern safety standards when new) are now weakened by rust and rot.

A bit like that "new" Severn Beach Line Turbo you described recently.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  

Jump to: