Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:16:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Taunton - WSR shuttle starts: July 27, 2019
  • WSR shuttle last for 2019: October 05, 2019
  • Trains restart - Minehead: March 23, 2024
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: West Somerset Railway - heritage line, Bishops Lydeard to Minehead - merged topic, ongoing discussio  (Read 183992 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2019, 10:39:19 »

The volunteers are doing an excellent job trying to keep the show on the road.

The board of directors on the other hand...

Without good leadership, no amount of goodwill will keep the show on the road. I note that the WSR is taking steps to beef up its board - I don't have a view on whether this will be effective, but I certainly wish them well

A new team can rarely produce results 'overnight' and sadly that's sometimes what's 'needed'. I would be very much inclined to wait and see how things go before commenting in the 'honeymoon period'.   The volunteers doing an "excellent job of keeping the show on the road" is encouraging as it would indicate the faith of that army in a positive future for the railway.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2019, 11:10:13 »

From Somerset County Gazette

AFTER undertaking more than £100K of infrastructure work, overhauling stall training and sorting out its finances - West Somerset Railway is ready to reopen.

The railway faced an extended winter closure following an inspection from the Office of Rail and Road in November.

Bosses at the railway ordered the closure from January 2 until April in order to carry out a ‘significant number of improvements’ highlighted by the inspection body.

But things are back on-track for the beloved railway, as service begin to return to normal on Saturday, March 30.

The reopening announcement comes following another inspection of the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) on Friday, March 22.

WSR plc chairman, Jon Jones Pratt, said: “The ORR inspectors were very impressed by all of the massive progress across the board that we have made during a relatively short period, and I’m delighted they gave us a clean bill of health to re-open this coming weekend.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2019, 19:26:01 »

One way in which I feel that the WSR could do better (and has done better in the past) is regarding the arrangements for shareholders at the AGM (Annual General Meeting) and travel thereto and return.

Until a few years ago, the AGM was held in Minehead with a shareholders special train being put on from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead and return.

This was stopped a few years ago and was IMO (in my opinion) a backward step. The withdrawal of the special train, with buffet AND meal service, and its replacement with a couple of second class carriages attached to a service train was in my view a backward step.
I own shares in the railway, I considered buying more shares but decided not to after this.

I appreciate that running the special train costs money, and would not expect it to be free, a significant fare was payable and an increase in this seems reasonable.
3 classes were previously offered, second, first, and dining, usually hauled by one of the larger engines.

It was rather a comedown from champagne served at ones table and consumed from proper glasses, to beer in a plastic cup.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 01, 2019, 12:22:07 »

There is an article on the WSR in the Railway Magazine for April. Starting on p24 it is titled “Back from the Brink”
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2019, 10:17:30 »

There is an article on the WSR in the Railway Magazine for April. Starting on p24 it is titled “Back from the Brink”

To expand on this:

The 6-page feature paints a very sobering picture of the predicament the WSR found itself in towards the latter half of 2018. As well as financial and organisational problems that required urgent action, the railway needed to spend £140,000 on immediate track repairs just to get the line up to a standard where the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) was happy for it to run trains; it needs to spend £500,000 a year for the next 10 years on its permanent way to reverse previous 'managed decline'.

WSR chair Jonathan Jones-Pratt is nonetheless reasonably upbeat about the future:

The business is safe. We're able to trade for 2019. We will need to review the business model again in July, ahead of the next trough when winter comes around again.

However, it is my intention that we act as responsible directors and as a responsible business so that we never again find ourselves in the situation we're in today.

Source: The Railway Magazine, April 2019

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2019, 12:24:30 »

This appeared via Twitter this morning

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/17576597.west-somerset-railway-train-services-from-taunton-to-bishops-lydeard-could-be-set-to-leave-the-platform-after-60000-boost/
Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2019, 13:04:49 »

Good to see archive photo from the This is the Age of the Train Weekend.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2019, 13:09:28 »

Great news, doesn't say when it's starting though. Anyone know?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2019, 01:39:45 »

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/railway-coach-west-somerset-railway-2832942

Quote from: Somerset Live
A West Somerset Railway coach has been targeted by vandals in what's being described as "mindless vandalism".

The coach, stabled overnight at Bishops Lydeard in sidings, is believed to have been struck on Monday evening (April 29) at around 9pm.

A spokesman for the railway said the coach sustained damage including broken glass, with three large carriage windows and two droplight windows in doors being smashed in the attack.

A member of the public contacted the West Somerset Railway about the damage, and general manager Paul Conibeare attended the scene and informed the police.

It's estimated the damage will cost £1,000 to replace and repair.

The railway station has since launched a fundraiser to fund the repairs.

The coach has now been moved to Minehead for repairs in the workshops there, which will hopefully take just a few days to complete if replacement glass is in stock.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2019, 10:53:31 »

There's video floating around on social media apparently showing the eejit doing the damage while being filmed by a mate.

Hopefully that will aid the police in their detection of the miscreants and aid in their prosecution.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2019, 14:41:21 »

There's video floating around on social media apparently showing the eejit doing the damage while being filmed by a mate.

Hopefully that will aid the police in their detection of the miscreants and aid in their prosecution.

I certainly hope so.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2019, 16:01:58 »

Being an 'oldie', I don't understand the craze for filming yourself doing everything (including eating).
Whilst I can understand filming something lovely; I fail to understand how filming yourself damaging something, then posting it to show off to the world, won't have follow up consequences.
Perhaps the next generation of filming everything will include bank robberies, etc?  Roll Eyes

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2019, 17:08:15 »

Quote from: GBM
Perhaps the next generation of filming everything will include bank robberies, etc?  Roll Eyes

No need to do bank jobs any more when they can get just as money out of telephone and email scams...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #223 on: June 08, 2019, 03:38:52 »

From the Minehead Rail Link Group

A trail-blazing trial shuttle service linking the national rail network with West Somerset Railway - due to begin this month - still has no known starting date, timetable or details of prices, frustrated railway supporters claimed this week.

Article continues ....

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 08, 2019, 07:47:58 »

I’ve been regularly checking the WSR website hoping for news on this as want to visit the railway this Summer by travelling solely by train.

It’s concerning to say the least that nothing is being said. Doesn’t look good.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: