Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 13:24:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Taunton - WSR shuttle starts: July 27, 2019
  • WSR shuttle last for 2019: October 05, 2019
  • Trains restart - Minehead: March 23, 2024
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: West Somerset Railway - heritage line, Bishops Lydeard to Minehead - merged topic, ongoing discussio  (Read 184051 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #375 on: November 14, 2021, 15:43:20 »

Not certain about the 25-50 ? perhaps connects with the Hogwarts express and therefore runs to magic timings. Smiley

That's Finnish time 25:50 translates to 23:50 in Minehead.  OK - so the 25:50 was my typo. The late train from Taunton which I would expect to be very popular. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 14, 2021, 16:33:12 »

The webcam at Seaward way is back in use.
http://www.wsr.org.uk/r-cam-md2.htm

Good views of seagulls, Canada geese, dog walkers, cars, and the newly installed semaphore signal.
And a newly installed LED colour-light signal on the Dunster side of the crossing too by the looks of it. Wonder why that got put in when a non-LED one would retain the heritage aspect (pun intended) of things. Also the wsr.org.uk website says two new semaphores have gone in (see an entry of 27th October). Hopefully we won't one day see all of the WSR controlled by panels though as per Paignton - Kingswear.

National Rail Trains arriving at 08:25, 19:10, 20:50 and 25:50 from Taunton and beyond at the platform behind Butlins just to the east of the crossing, leaving at 05:40, 07:05, 08:30 and 21:00.   Heritage trains Eastbound just after 10:10, 11:10, 12:15, 14:15, 15:15, 16:15 and 17:10 headed for Bishop's Lydeard, returning just before 10:52, 11:47, 12:47, 13:47, 14:52, 15:47 and 17:52, connecting in almost all cases with National Rail at Lydeard?
That would be good wouldn't it! Unless you know something which I don't.....!

Dave
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 14, 2021, 16:50:00 »

AFAIK (as far as I know) the new LED colour light signal replaces an earlier colour light signal that used incandescent bulbs. The LEDs give a very similar appearance and are therefore considered acceptable in a location not often viewed or photographed.

Perhaps our resident WSR expert could confirm ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: November 14, 2021, 17:03:59 »

National Rail Trains arriving at 08:25, 19:10, 20:50 and 25:50 from Taunton and beyond at the platform behind Butlins just to the east of the crossing, leaving at 05:40, 07:05, 08:30 and 21:00.   Heritage trains Eastbound just after 10:10, 11:10, 12:15, 14:15, 15:15, 16:15 and 17:10 headed for Bishop's Lydeard, returning just before 10:52, 11:47, 12:47, 13:47, 14:52, 15:47 and 17:52, connecting in almost all cases with National Rail at Lydeard?
That would be good wouldn't it! Unless you know something which I don't.....!

Dave

Here's grahame's full proposal:

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2021, 12:35:39 »

AFAIK (as far as I know) the new LED colour light signal replaces an earlier colour light signal that used incandescent bulbs. The LEDs give a very similar appearance and are therefore considered acceptable in a location not often viewed or photographed.

Uncharacteristically silent, but I had tea with a friend who has been training drivers on the new signals. He doesn't regard them as out of place, and sees big improvements from a safety angle.

Now, please!
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 06, 2021, 16:02:57 »

Uncharacteristically silent, but I had tea with a friend who has been training drivers on the new signals. He doesn't regard them as out of place, and sees big improvements from a safety angle.

I don't know if you're referring to me; I don't consider myself any kind of expert on railways these days.  I was a bit more clued-up about the WSR 40+ (ouch) years ago.

From what I can tell, the signal with the LED head is a replacement for the Down Inner Home signal that was formerly a colour-light, lit by incandescent lamps.  It won't have the drivers' white light indicator aspect in the head for the former ABCL (Automatic Barrier Crossing Locally monitored) system at Seaward Way LC (Level Crossing), as the crossing has now  been converted to CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) operation from Minehead 'box

For what my opinion is worth, I don't think the new signal is any more or less relevant to the line's heritage ambience than the one it replaces.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 06, 2021, 16:26:53 »

Yes I was thinking of yourself, but did not say so in so many words, so as to avoid unwelcoming replies from other members.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: December 06, 2021, 16:37:31 »

Yes I was thinking of yourself, but did not say so in so many words, so as to avoid unwelcoming replies from other members.

Don't worry, I am sure we are all big Witham Bobby fans!

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 07, 2021, 14:06:23 »

Don't worry, I am sure we are all big Witham Bobby fans!
Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2022, 07:29:58 »

The new level crossing barriers at the Seaward lane level crossing have been damaged by the recent extreme weather. A bit worrying for something so new and expensive.

News reports on the WSR website refer to ONE barrier as being damaged, but looking at the webcam appears to show TWO damaged barriers.

http://www.wsr.org.uk/r-cam-md2.htm webcam link.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2022, 07:33:15 »

Has a preserved railway had more misfortune than the WSR? I really hope it can be repaired before the main tourist season begins in a few weeks time.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2022, 11:28:50 »

Hopefully the repairs will simply consist of attaching new barriers with the rest of the mechanism remaining as before.

My fear is that stronger barriers will be required and that these are likely to be heavier.
Not compatible with existing operating mechanism.
New mechanism expensive and with extended delivery times.
New mechanism requires different ground fixings.
New concrete bases needed.
Existing but new cables damaged during construction of new foundations. New cabling needed.
Some subtle difference makes new mechanism not compatible with existing proving and safety circuits.
New equipment needed in equipment room.
Equipment room not big enough.
New equipment room expensive and with extended delivery times.
HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate) rule that this is a "new installation" requiring new approvals.
CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) found to be compliant with 2020 standards but not with 2022 standards, new required.
Newts discovered. And badgers.
Complete new training and staff familiarisation plan required.
War breaks out in Ukraine, works put on hold until after the war.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 21, 2022, 10:52:42 »

So far as I can see from the webcam, one barrier has been replaced, what I presume to be a new one looks larger, or perhaps simply brighter coloured and shows up better on webcam. Left hand side of crossing, nearest Butlins.
One old barrier remains in situ and looks undamaged.
One barrier that yesterday was bent of shape, is now absent, presumably  awaiting replacement. The one nearest the camera.
One barrier is still bent out of shape, the one nearest the equipment building.

Works are underway, many orange overalled workers may be observed on the webcam at about 10-30.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 01, 2022, 11:14:05 »

The webcam at the Seaward Lane level crossing is again offline "due to level crossing works" And this time the Minehead station webcam is also offline.

I wonder why ? The physical location of the webcam is some distance from the crossing and would not be in the way of works thereon.
Perhaps they dont like people watching the progress of the works, or perhaps lack of progress. The work can however be viewed in person from several viewpoints, so hardly secret.

Spare crossing barriers are held in stock, but the delays suggest that something more than a simple replacement is being considered.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 01, 2022, 11:26:20 »

Spare crossing barriers are held in stock, but the delays suggest that something more than a simple replacement is being considered.

When are the next trains scheduled to operate?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: