Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:15:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Taunton - WSR shuttle starts: July 27, 2019
  • WSR shuttle last for 2019: October 05, 2019
  • Trains restart - Minehead: March 23, 2024
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30
  Print  
Author Topic: West Somerset Railway - heritage line, Bishops Lydeard to Minehead - merged topic, ongoing discussio  (Read 184026 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 01, 2022, 12:22:32 »

The first scheduled passenger trains are expected on March 19 AFAIK (as far as I know).

There might of course be the odd ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) or other non public trains planned before then.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 01, 2022, 14:20:58 »

Probably no great rush to complete the repairs then?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 02, 2022, 02:30:36 »

The Seaward lane and Minehead station webcams are back on line.
The view APPEARS to show all 4 four level crossing barriers in place, but they look to be of two different designs.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2022, 10:51:05 »

Aren't barrier arms short-life items, needing frequent replacement? I can't find any statistics, but there's two or three old ones dumped beside the track at our crossing, and they havn't been there that long.

That's due to vehicles driving into them. If wind damage is going to be a recurrent problem, there is the "Redcar Solution".

Britain’s first sliding gate level crossing barriers are now operational in the North East after a recent upgrade as part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan.

The new, telescopic barrier slides out across West Dyke Road in Redcar from alongside the railway tracks and marks the end of the existing boom gate barrier which was plagued by reliability problems during high winds.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2022, 11:01:59 »

Presumably they’re designed to break if hit with strong winds or a vehicle, without causing damage to the raising/lowering mechanism?  Spare sets are kept by the crossing at some locations to allow a speedy replacement.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2022, 15:17:52 »

In any case what's wrong with posting a couple of people with red flags to stop traffic. Or is this reckoned to be a dangerous thing to do in these days of health & safety dominance over common sense?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2022, 15:30:17 »

In any case what's wrong with posting a couple of people with red flags to stop traffic. Or is this reckoned to be a dangerous thing to do in these days of health & safety dominance over common sense?

If the average modern day human came fully equipped with common sense it would make sense.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 02, 2022, 16:02:56 »

Presumably they’re designed to break if hit with strong winds or a vehicle, without causing damage to the raising/lowering mechanism?  Spare sets are kept by the crossing at some locations to allow a speedy replacement.

Indeed, and I understand that the WSR did have spare barriers stored, not certain where exactly but said to be available. There was however an initial reluctance to simply fit the spare barriers, without investigation into the failure in extreme but foreseeable wind conditions.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 02, 2022, 16:10:22 »

I suspect that these days it might ACTUALY be dangerous. The more rabid motorists might run over the man with the red flag !
"How dare you tell me what I can and can not do ! I have GOT to take my children to school. MOVE NOW !"

The slightly less rabid motorists might drive around the man with the flag, and after being hit by a train would complain.
"I did not know that it meant stop"
" I could not see a train coming"
"I did not see the flag"

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 02, 2022, 18:41:20 »

Indeed, and I understand that the WSR did have spare barriers stored, not certain where exactly but said to be available. There was however an initial reluctance to simply fit the spare barriers, without investigation into the failure in extreme but foreseeable wind conditions.

Perhaps any investigation that took place had something to do with the fact the crossing is new?  Perhaps that would make sure a warranty claim to cover the cost of replacement barriers was successful?  Or to check there was no obvious design flaw - I should imagine elements of every crossing is bespoke even if the bulk of the equipment is 'off the shelf'.

Perhaps it could, and would, have been repaired much more quickly, but they knew they have a month before any train movements are planned?

Anyway, lots of theories...not all of them negative or linked to a conspiracy.

The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 02, 2022, 22:08:29 »

Repair works to the level crossing have now been completed and normal working has been restored.

As II rightly said in an earlier post, the barriers are designed to break without damaging the moving gear so it turned out to be a simple replacement of the broken barriers but understandable that the WSR wanted to investigate properly before fixing.

Staff training and various ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) movements will now take place before Minehead welcomes its first passenger train in over 2 years on 19 March.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 03, 2022, 10:08:42 »

I will NOT be there, on the first day.
Probably overcrowded and more chance of something going wrong. I look forward to travel after a few days.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 07, 2022, 14:11:23 »

Here's a rather strange thing for a heritage line to be doing. Selected quotes from Thales (for now):
Rail safety system demonstration shows importance of agile innovation

Thales is working with Network Rail and the West Somerset Railway (WSR) to run a live demonstration of its Train Protection and Warning System - Continuous Supervision (TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System)-CS).

TPWS-CS builds on radio-based limited supervision (RBLS) system, which is currently being defined by Network Rail and industry. The new system continuously updates a train’s position and warns the driver when approaching a stretch of track closed for maintenance or under speed restrictions, applying an emergency brake if necessary. The system enables the Person in Charge of Possession to apply specific permitted movements to trains within the possession, which will be automatically supervised by the TPWS-CS to warn the driver or apply the brake when necessary. The driver can receive updates in their cab constantly, without the need for trackside infrastructure.

The technology

The system consists of three core elements: continuous positioning sensors, including radar, a Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and inertial measurement unit (IMU); an interface for communicating with the driver; and access to the emergency braking system through the existing Train Protection & Warning System.

Thales has also shown that the TPWS-CS system can be fitted and integrated quickly and cheaply into a cab. The system has been installed as part of Thales’s Robust Train Positioning System on an in-service GWR (Great Western Railway) Class 150 cab, which is acting as a rolling laboratory to gather data.

It does seem a bit odd for a very early prototype, used for proof of concept trials, to get this kind of publicity. Usually it's done in private, or even under strict secrecy, due to concerns about keeping your trade secrets as long as you can and the embarrassment of it not working at all when exposed to real life.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #403 on: April 07, 2022, 14:27:09 »

I'm concerned about the GPS side of things.
Occasionally in incident reports there are mentions that the drivers GSM-? didn't work, or there was no radio signal in that area.
Everything works well when there is a signal.
There are many areas around the UK (United Kingdom) with either no signal or a very poor signal level.
Perhaps too much dependence on technology?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 07, 2022, 14:49:15 »

I'm concerned about the GPS side of things.
Occasionally in incident reports there are mentions that the drivers GSM-? didn't work, or there was no radio signal in that area.
Everything works well when there is a signal.
There are many areas around the UK (United Kingdom) with either no signal or a very poor signal level.
Perhaps too much dependence on technology?

The whole point of the Rubust train Positioning System (RTPS) is that it combines several sensors so that it always has a fallback if any of them is not available.

For example, if you have an absolute positioning system like GPS, and one with no external inputs like an odometer, they complement each other. The ododmeter (counting wheel rotations) drifts due to uncertainty about the wheel radius, but only slowly so the position error remains small for many miles. GPS can be obstructed, but when you get it back is drift-free and can be used to remove the position error that's built up due to using the odometer. You can add extra sensors to cover for other kinds of outage/failure, in this case using a radar rather than an odometer, or balises.

The same method is now standard for airliners, combining GNSS (including GPS) with an inertial navigator (INS or IMU, also part of this RTPS). Again, the INS suffers from slow drift and complements the potential error modes of the GNSS (to do with integrity as much as errors). That depends on a bit of magical chicanery called a Kalman Filter, which I think is also used for RTPS.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 15:24:48 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30
  Print  

Jump to: