Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:08:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Taunton - WSR shuttle starts: July 27, 2019
  • WSR shuttle last for 2019: October 05, 2019
  • Trains restart - Minehead: March 23, 2024
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: West Somerset Railway - heritage line, Bishops Lydeard to Minehead - merged topic, ongoing discussio  (Read 183925 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 03:36:52 »

Bumping this thread to see if any other Coffee Shop member would care to join us on this jolly.

You need to be at Taunton station for 1030ish for the bus to Bishops Lydeard at 1047. And the day out as I've planned will get us back to Taunton station at 1914.

If the full day out is not an option then there are other opportunities for a ride behind Tornado for a half-day out. PM me and I can give you details.

bignosemac  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 23:32:02 »

I would love to but need to be at work on the 13th :-(
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 23:36:06 »

Sorry to learn that you can't join us, Jo: I'll take a few photos, and post them here, to show you what you'll have missed!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 23:45:24 »

Thank you.. Hopefully there will be a similar thing but at a weekend soon... Smiley
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 23:54:51 »

Ill be driving through Taunton in the evening if that is any consolation  Cheesy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 00:00:20 »

I'll give you a suitable wave, then!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 20:57:38 »

From the Bridgwater Mercury:

A Bridgwater writer^s work has been published in a collection of stories on the West Somerset Railway.

Joe Tiernan, of Halesleigh Road, has written A Special Delivery for the book Ticket To Read.

The book is a selection of 16 short stories that will make you think, laugh and give readers a glimpse of life on and around the West Somerset Railway.

He is part of a Somerset-based writers^ group that came up with the idea to write a book surrounding a local tourist attraction.

Joe said: ^We approached the West Somerset Railway and they thought it was a good idea.

^It has been a really good experience writing the story. The group writes about anything.

^I enjoy writing black humour stories and there are parts of this in my story.^

The book is on sale on a trial basis at Bridgwater Bookshop and Joe will be signing copies of Ticket To Read at the Quantock Gateway on Thursday, September 16 from 6.30pm.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 20:18:46 »

An update, from the WSR website:

Following a hugely successful visit by the A1 Pacific locomotive 60163 ^Tornado^ to the West Somerset Railway in 2009 the WSR is delighted to welcome back this historic machine for two more visits in 2010.
The locomotive will be working trains between 4 and 19 September Bishops Lydeard (near Taunton) to Minehead.

The Locomotive will also be working on the 4th and 5th September for our Late Summer Weekend and the 11th and 12th September for the CAMRA Real Ale Festival Weekend on our Minehead Service (1015 and 1415).
We would like to apologise for the non-running of Tornado on Friday 17 September, however it will now be running on the 18 and 19 September. Please see the timetable below.

Tornado will work the following Train services over the CAMRA Real Ale Festival on the 11 and 12 September: On Saturday 11 September 1015 from Minehead; 1230 from Bishops Lydeard; 1405 from Minehead; 1600 from Bishops Lydeard and the 1755 from Minehead. On Sunday 12 the locomotive will work the 1025 from Bishops Lydeard, 1220 from Minehead, 1425 from Bishops Lydeard and 1605 from Minehead.

Two round trips per day will be run and normal fares will apply on the trains headed by ^Tornado^. Advance booking of tickets is possible and although this will not guarantee a booked seat it will allow ticket holders to walk past any queues that have formed at the booking offices. The tickets will also be valid on other WSR service trains on the day. During the two weeks ^Tornado^ will head the 11.40 a.m. and 3.05 p.m. from Bishops Lydeard and the 1.15 p.m. and 5.35 p.m. from Minehead on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays whilst on Tuesdays and Wednesdays the first departure from Bishops Lydeard will be at 11.05 a.m. with the departures for the rest of the day being at 1.15 p.m. from Minehead, 3.05 from Bishops Lydeard, and 5.35 p.m. from Minehead - see the timetables below

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 11:42:08 »

Well worth going to Beer Festival It's excellent you can watch them turning locos with a pint in your hand.

Been a couple of times on Hertfordshire through trains, first class, breakfast on way down, straight into the beer festival and dinner on way back. Probably beats my favourite ICE3 although not for speed.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 23:46:15 »

A grand day out! Tornado was in fine fettle. Scared the bejaysus out of Jess when she was shunting at Bishops Lydeard. Even left me with a ringing in the ears. And I thought Valenta engined HSTs (High Speed Train) were loud.....

Pictures to follow over the next day or two.....

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 19:52:30 »

Some pictures of 60163 Tornado at Bishops Lydeard along with a few others from the day out.

D1010 Western Campaigner at Williton.

The West Somerset Railway crosses the trackbed of the West Somerset Mineral Railway near Watchet.

Walking from Watchet to Washford along the former West Somerset Mineral Railway trackbed.

BR (British Rail(ways))(W) 5101 Class 2-6-2T 'Large Prairie' no. 4160 running round at Minehead.

GWR (Great Western Railway) Castle Class 4-6-0 no. 5029 Nunney Castle on shed at Minehead.

GWR 5100 Class 2-6-2T 'Large Prairie' no. 5553 on the turntable at Minehead.

Sunset and 'Right-Away' at Stogumber.

Can we have more stations as immaculately turned out as this on the national network please?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 20:08:10 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 00:00:19 »

My own 'first impressions' of Tornado:

Is that her, in the distance?

Can't see a bluddy thing, for all that steam!

Ah ... that's better!

My thanks to members bignosemac and robert.nash for a Grand Day Out!  Grin

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 00:19:42 »

i saw it at work in watchet.... if i knew you were about i would have said hello
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 05:55:31 »

Time for me to shamelessly drop in a photo of the beast, which was taken neither recently nor (obviously!) at the WSR. Still the best kettle out there by an absolute country mile though!

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 21:36:18 »

well as a few other people seem to have seen it on the wsr in the past week.......  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: