Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:47:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Refund?  (Read 1071 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: November 17, 2022, 16:11:17 »

'I wanna tell you a story'.

I paid for via the GWR (Great Western Railway) website a 1st Class single from Paddington to Reading; to be sent to our daughter in Sussex; around 6 days before travel.
She called the day  before to say it hadn't arrived.
I called a lovely lady at GWR who checked and said that was correct, as in they hadn't yet received a 'delivered' acknowledgment for the ticket.
She put me on hold for a short while, then came back on to say she had arranged for an authority to travel being left at Paddington ticket office.
Daughter went into Paddington ticket office on the day of travel, but they knew nothing about it.
She explained what had happened, and provided the GWR ticket reference.  This they couldn't find, and kept asking for the ticket barcode (which she didn't have!).
As her train was due to leave immently, she paid for her own ticket.
The posted ticket arrived after she returned home a week later.

I kept her bought ticket and tried to claim back via the website.
Unfortunately the website only had a delay repay which came anywhere near claiming.
This of course was refused as the train ran.

I went on to the GWR chat this morning to ask about a refund, but was told unless we had the ORIGINAL ticket, we couldn't claim a refund.
The original which was posted was kept for a few days after she returned home, but then recycled.

Have we lost any chance of a refund, as GWR could see from the post dates that it was delivered late and could thus refund us surely?

Assistance would be appreciated please, especially if there is a small chance of our nearly £50 refund!

With thanks

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 16:31:57 »

I woukd suggest you repeat the « call a lovely lady at GWR (Great Western Railway) » again and explain the situation and ask if it (the original ticket) has now been delivered, which presumably they can check and advise you (as if you didn’t know, but don’t let on) that it has. They can almost certaibly advise *when* that was too, and when that advice is that it was delivered after she left home/day if travel(?), THEN ask how you can get if refunded as she has just proved that it was impossible to have used it.
Good luck
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 14:01:31 »

Many calls further on........
A gent advised late last week they could see the tickets (package) was delivered on 2nd November, so noted the details down and said he'd pass the case further up the chain.
More calls and emails.
Upshot today after speaking to customer support.
"We can see the package was delivered after the date of travel but we need to see the actual ticket inside as proof"
Reply being "You can't, as they were recycled a few days after receipt as being of no use".

Implication is there was nothing inside the 'package' unless you can prove it.................

May someone please message me with Mark's email address to take this further.
Only been going on a month!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 07:36:00 »

Thanks to a forum member for a link to 'higher up the chain' in GWR (Great Western Railway).
Issue now fully resolved - full refund and a £10 ticket voucher for future use.

Shouldn't really be necessary in this day and age to have to escalate this type of issue.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 13:15:42 by GBM » Logged

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 09:25:35 »

Excellent news.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 22:27:28 »

As an aside, credit card sized tickets with a magnetic stripe on the back shouldn't be recycled as the mag stripe contaminates the card. You could I suppose cut off and recycle the narrow bands of card either side but hardly worth it.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 06:09:04 »

With the advance of technology, we will all be seeing less orange tickets around stations not to mention the litter issue.

Now wheres that plastic smartcard?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: