I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:58:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: End date for Castles - initially a Rumour Mill thread  (Read 2460 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 22, 2022, 06:52:07 »

From the UK (United Kingdom) HST (High Speed Train) Enthusiast group.

Revealed this afternoon at GWR (Great Western Railway), all 'Castle' Class HSTs are to cease operation by December 2023. It will be a gradual rundown with fewer than half making it to next summer, although some will be kept in reserve until the end. It is anticipated that re-diagrammed 802s, based at Laira, will take over at least some of their duties.

Not corroborated (when it is, I will move this thread public) but it sounds about "right" - i.e. what I would have expected.  As you can imagine, it has spawned some discussion about where the stock will come from to replace them ... interestingly, no talk that I noticed of 769s based at Reading coming into service and allowing cascades.  How different this all is to where I am (out of the UK at present) where there seems to be a health few modern electric and diesel units parked up at strategic points even during normal daytime service, and I have yet to have a train cancelled due to lack of stock or staff.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 06:55:25 »

Revealed this afternoon at GWR (Great Western Railway), all 'Castle' Class HSTs are to cease operation by December 2023. It will be a gradual rundown with fewer than half making it to next summer, although some will be kept in reserve until the end. It is anticipated that re-diagrammed 802s, based at Laira, will take over at least some of their duties.

Not corroborated (when it is, I will move this thread public) but it sounds about "right" - i.e. what I would have expected.  As you can imagine, it has spawned some discussion about where the stock will come from to replace them ... interestingly, no talk that I noticed of 769s based at Reading coming into service and allowing cascades.  How different this all is to where I am (out of the UK at present) where there seems to be a health few modern electric and diesel units parked up at strategic points even during normal daytime service, and I have yet to have a train cancelled due to lack of stock or staff.

Are there spare 802s sitting around to pick up the slack or does this mean shortforming existing services?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 07:44:16 »

Are there spare 802s sitting around to pick up the slack or does this mean shortforming existing services?

I would speculate that we are more and more specifying a "fair weather railway". So if everything works on the day, then the service specified works.  But as soon as a train has to be taken out of service for repair (as opposed to routine maintenance) or one member of staff goes off sick, especially at short notice, or a set of points fails ... or a late running freight gets in the way, a line floods, or we get leaves on the line or the wrong sort of snow, or too many passengers wanting to use a service ... it becomes unreliable to put it mildly, and the lack of backup resources means it's very difficult to get back to timetabled running.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 09:55:57 »

The Castles are approaching the point where they are becoming due for heavy overhauls which are expensive and a cost the cash-strapped railway is keen to avoid. 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 10:09:15 »

Any ideas what might happen to them? Scrap? Sold overseas (where)? Heritage diesel line?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 10:12:57 »

Scrapped I’d have thought.  They’re 45 or so years old!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 12:12:28 »

The Castles are approaching the point where they are becoming due for heavy overhauls which are expensive and a cost the cash-strapped railway is keen to avoid. 

Put that up against the millions spent getting them suitable for services now it seems a costly decision to cover a short term problem

As someone who travels from WsM to Taunton and then the other way to Temple Meads I will certainly miss them as they are a welcome change as one of the few services that is rarely overcrowded
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 12:14:25 »

Just noticed this previous thread, it will be interesting to see who this moves on

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=26072.0
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 12:44:39 »

Put that up against the millions spent getting them suitable for services now it seems a costly decision to cover a short term problem

Yes it was a necessary decision at the time in a very different economic and social climate so was just about justified.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 18:06:56 »

I would speculate that we are more and more specifying a "fair weather railway". So if everything works on the day, then the service specified works.  But as soon as a train has to be taken out of service for repair (as opposed to routine maintenance) or one member of staff goes off sick, especially at short notice, or a set of points fails ... or a late running freight gets in the way, a line floods, or we get leaves on the line or the wrong sort of snow, or too many passengers wanting to use a service ... it becomes unreliable to put it mildly, and the lack of backup resources means it's very difficult to get back to timetabled running.

I'll take it that means "No" and "Yes" respectively to my original question!
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 18:21:32 »

I have read elsewhere that the resultant train moves will leave the Cardiff / Portsmouths as permanent 3 car trains.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 21:38:35 »

I have read elsewhere that the resultant train moves will leave the Cardiff / Portsmouths as permanent 3 car trains.
That won’t go down well at all. The 165s/166s aren’t popular as it is without them going down to just 3 cars permanently.

Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 22:33:24 »

After a pretty miserable journey on East Midlands Railway from London last week I'm with Grahame on the fair weather railway.  All their trains are now 5 car Meridians (possibly occasionally in pairs though none were in evidence) rather than full length HSTs (High Speed Train).  An early afternoon Sheffield train was cancelled, the next Nottingham train couldn't soak up the extra passengers for common intermediate stations such as Leicester and left people on the platform, and I finally squeezed on the third train which had people standing right along the aisle.  HSTs would have absorbed the excess with ease.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 22:38:23 »

Not happy about the future of rail travel, at least over the next 10 years or so, seems to be a downward sprial, to where, I dont know, dont want to suggest line closures and mass lay off but.. and the unions are not helping themselves or the industry to be honest.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 04:50:18 »

Any ideas what might happen to them? Scrap? Sold overseas (where)? Heritage diesel line?

I suspect that most will be scrapped. Hopefully some of those in best condition can be preserved. Not many preserved railways will want a short HST (High Speed Train), but that does not prevent saving vehicles to use in full length trains.

The earlier HSTs ran only a few years after the end of main line steam and ARE now heritage.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: