Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:43:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not all cancellations count....  (Read 951 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2022, 16:01:24 »

First, I've put this here as, for some reason I can't post a new item in "The Wider Picture"

Apparently if services are cancelled before 10pm the day before, they not counted in official figures or towards Delay Repay...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/revealed-north-of-england-train-line-vastly-under-reports-cancellations/ar-AA14BJ5Z?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=19817c15f55742968b69d0ba1236709a

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 16:19:07 »

First, I've put this here as, for some reason I can't post a new item in "The Wider Picture"

The "Wider" picture has been split to UK (United Kingdom) and "even wider" because they were two distinctly different underlying topics there - one about how the British system works and the other looking at worldwide lessons.  I'll move this topic to the UK one.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 16:34:14 »

Apparently if services are cancelled before 10pm the day before, they not counted in official figures or towards Delay Repay...

Yep, that's why the rail industry's stats look so much better that the reality, where there have been hardly any trains for eight days over the last few months, and there are another eight days coming up over the next two months.    If an "alternative timetable" is in place a couple of days ahead, those who are ostriches can bury their heads in the sand and pretend they are doing well for the railway's passengers or the growing hordes of wannabe-passengers.  When they are stopping being wannabes and routinely stop travelling or start using alternatives ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 17:36:21 »

Which is fair enough frankly - but yes, it ought to be at least 48 hours out, not previous night IMO (in my opinion). Otherwise no TOC (Train Operating Company) would ever publish a 'normal' timetable, but add in services each week to get to a 'proper' timetable.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 17:58:16 »

Which is fair enough frankly - but yes, it ought to be at least 48 hours out, not previous night IMO (in my opinion). Otherwise no TOC (Train Operating Company) would ever publish a 'normal' timetable, but add in services each week to get to a 'proper' timetable.

The point being that failure to run an advertised service has to be accepted as something that happens, and TOCS are judged on how often by including it in one of those implausibly complicated incentive computations. That's part of the contract, so DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s business, but happens to be monitored by ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) as well. Failure to advertise a service required in the SLC (Service Level Commitment) is also DfT's business, as a matter of breach of contract. However, DfT have become rather indulgent in this respect - understandable with respect to Covid, but the effect has persisted.

I think the original idea was that breach of contract was more serious so no TOC would do it just to avoid a cancellation without good reason (like a closed line). Now, that balance and the very short cut-off allowed look to be misaligned.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 18:02:29 »

If they weren't permitted, they'd be heavily fined every time adverse weather affected services, which no TOC (Train Operating Company) would accept as a fair contract term
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 19:26:18 »

If they weren't permitted, they'd be heavily fined every time adverse weather affected services, which no TOC (Train Operating Company) would accept as a fair contract term

Indeed ... but we need to differentiate between

1. The passenger reliability figure - if his or her train doesn't run, or a connection misses. It doesn't matter if it's a lack of driver, lack of working train, signallers on strike, roasted pheasant in the electrics, rails too hot, person hit by train, floods.

2. The contract reliability figure - that the contract / remuneration to the TOC is based on, which is a subset of the above.  But that should be considered an internal industry thing - Joe Public is only exceptionally accepting if his service does not turn up.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 22:23:55 »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/revealed-north-of-england-train-line-vastly-under-reports-cancellations/ar-AA14BJ5Z?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=19817c15f55742968b69d0ba1236709a
I’ve had first hand experience of this a few years back when the train we were booked on (Advance tickets) was cancelled because of train crew shortages due to Christmas parties.

This meant the train wasn’t in the system to be able to claim Delay Repay making it one heck of challenge getting our money back because computer said no. Had to take it to the top, something I don’t like doing, to get a result.

Also had an issue with the train manager, who because he couldn’t see our cancelled train on his PDA, thought we were trying it on travelling on a different train. Obviously wasn’t invited to the particular Christmas party that caused our train to be cancelled.

TOCs (Train Operating Company) shouldn’t be allowed to get away with not paying out by cancelling trains the day before that you are booked on. Unacceptable.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 09:17:29 »

Weather-related cancellations excepted. IMHO (in my humble opinion)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:26:32 by ChrisB » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 10:11:36 »

Weather-related cancellations excepted. IMHO (in my humble opinion)
Agreed, yes.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 06:21:33 »

Credit where credit is due…

Put two Delay Repay claims in on Saturday afternoon, both approved last night. When it works, it works well.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 05:58:54 »

Front page of today’s Metro:

Rail firms using loopholes to cancel thousands of services after customers have paid

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/06/rail-firms-revealed-to-have-axed-thousands-of-trips-through-loop-holes-17883539/

Rail firms are using loopholes to axe thousands of services without officially recording them – after selling travellers tickets for the cancelled ‘ghost trains’.

A record 314,000 were dropped in the year to October 15, the Office of Road and Rail has admitted – but that figure does not include those hit by strikes, lost in ‘amended’ timetables or cancelled before 10pm the night before.

Veteran rail expert Christian Wolmar revealed the ruse, explaining: ‘I had a ticket for an 8am King’s Cross train – I looked on the station noticeboard and it wasn’t there. The man said there is no 8am train and I said I have a ticket for it. It was always on the timetable but it had become a phantom train.’

He said of the official figure – 3.8 per cent of services across the country: ‘I can’t remember such a high figure but it’s irrelevant because it only represents cancellations on the day.’
Continues…

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 17:47:53 »

The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) has now waded into this argument - and pretty bluntly, for bureaucrats:
19 January 2023
The Office of Rail and Road has today written to the rail industry outlining the need to change how they record ‘pre-cancellations’ and to introduce a more passenger-friendly and transparent way of working when making late changes to services.

Passengers using many parts of the GB (Great Britain) rail network are suffering from poor performance.

Train cancellations are at record levels, and an ORR investigation confirmed a further gap between cancellations statistics and the passenger experience.

This was driven by an increased number of unrecorded ‘pre-cancellations’.

Such ‘pre-cancellations’ (via a process known as ‘p-coding') can be confirmed as late as 22:00 the previous evening and are not included in the timetables that railway performance statistics are measured against.

For a passenger this could mean that a train they expected to catch when they went to bed can disappear from the timetable by the time they leave for the station unaware that the train has been cancelled.

Historically such changes have been made to support the introduction of emergency timetables when poor weather or infrastructure damage has required a whole-scale change to train service on a route. Service performance is measured against the published replacement (emergency) timetable instead.

The regulator finds that over the last year this mechanism has been used differently.

Late changes have been made to timetables by withdrawing services when insufficient staff or no appropriate trains are available. ORR says this is an inappropriate application of the Network Code’s provisions on emergency timetables.

ORR has today written to all train companies telling them to stop using this inappropriate approach and to ask Network Rail to coordinate the industry to come up with a better way of doing things.

Until this takes full effect, ORR requires all train companies to supply specific data on any ‘resource availability shortage pre-cancellations’. ORR will publish this data alongside official statistics in the future, ensuring full public transparency.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 17:56:46 »

Wonder how long it'll take to put into effect?

Glad they showed their teeth. I have no problem with extreme weather use, but as the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) says, not for staff & stock shortages. Even after a strike.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: