Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 20:44:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Quiz - December 2022  (Read 8595 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 08:59:47 »

In  another country.

Yep - and it's really interesting to dig a little deeper, say "yes", and ask what gives that away.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 09:14:16 »

The lattice masts are not a pattern I’ve seen in these isles, and the buildings in the right look a bit Parisian… but everything else looks pretty familiar to me!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:38:06 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 10:50:19 »

A German or Swiss (Interlaken?) interchange.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 11:10:22 »

I was thinking the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") looked fit for no more than 3kV - but then again, maybe East German OLE was like that? The building style could fit there too (or anywhere else, really). But the sign on that building - "Living27" - appears to belong to a Colombian property company, which isn't helpful.

In any case it hardly looks like a major station, more of a little one camping out on a good yard.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 11:11:37 »

A German or Swiss (Interlaken?) interchange.

Yes in (I suppose) the broadest sense of somewhere you might change between public transports in one of those two countries, but not Interlaken.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 11:16:51 »

I was thinking the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") looked fit for no more than 3kV - but then again, maybe East German OLE was like that?

I don't know what East German OLE looked like, and this picture won't tell you  Grin. ... and I'm not going to try and quantify "major" or "minor"; one of the things that struck me as a generality in both Switzerland and Germany last month was the high volume of rail freight compared to the UK (United Kingdom), and most of it electric hauled.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2022, 11:59:47 »

Zooming in on the train below the bridge, the red livery looks like Swiss Rail or Deutsche Bahn.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 12:30:48 »

In  another country.

Yep - and it's really interesting to dig a little deeper, say "yes", and ask what gives that away.
The lattice masts are not a pattern I’ve seen in these isles, and the buildings in the right look a bit Parisian… but everything else looks pretty familiar to me!

Indeed that was my thinking
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2022, 12:31:27 »

Lorks , I meant left not right. The building on the right could, sadly, be anywhere.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 16:39:19 »

You know, the more that I look at it, the more that I'm convinced that it's Altona, Hamburg. 
I still remember the old station with it's grand old roof before it was demolished and replaced by the rather blander affair that now exists.  Other redevelopments around the station at the time were often similarly unattractive and in stark contrast to the rather more appealing architecture in adjacent old Altona that perhaps surprisingly survived the war relatively intact.
Altona was and remains Hamburg's largest terminus station but really feels like a shadow of it's former self.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2022, 16:53:43 »

You know, the more that I look at it, the more that I'm convinced that it's Altona, Hamburg. 

I'm afraid it isn't ...  Altona is one of those stations which I would like to visit just to see what it's about some time.  It reads like a major terminus of some long distance stuff, yet in the suburbs rather than the centre of Hamburg.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2022, 17:50:27 »

Doing a little research (going back to Grahame's Interrail threads, and using Google Maps) I'd guess that this is a view of Passau station taken from the east.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 18:28:13 »

I'm afraid it isn't ...  Altona is one of those stations which I would like to visit just to see what it's about some time.  It reads like a major terminus of some long distance stuff, yet in the suburbs rather than the centre of Hamburg.

Indeed, Altona, like Wandsbek to the east, was once a separate town from Hamburg which got swallowed up as the city expanded.
Wandsbek and surrounds fared rather worse from bombing in the war.  My grandparent's house (the equivalent of a local vicarage) burnt down but adjacent houses survived.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 18:46:18 »

Doing a little research (going back to Grahame's Interrail threads, and using Google Maps) I'd guess that this is a view of Passau station taken from the east.

Yes, indeed it is ... the last station in Germany before (behind were I took the photo from) it runs into Austria, and starting point for the very long distance service in the morning - 07:17 to Dortmund.    The name "Passau" has come up for me on many travels in Germany, as the stop before the train carries on to Linz and Wien (Vienna).

I arrived there from Villach, with a zigzag via Vienna, on 22nd November.  A pleasant town - flagged up as having a population of 52,000 but it felt somewhat bigger.  It is strategically important:
Passau, a German city on the Austrian border, lies at the confluence of the Danube, Inn and Ilz rivers. Known as the Three Rivers City, it's overlooked by the Veste Oberhaus, a 13th-century hilltop fortress housing a city museum and observation tower.

In the picture, that's a sharp curve on the main line and having run pretty direct across Germany it takes this very sharp turn (only part is seen) before crossing the Inn and after a Berwick-upon-Tweed type enclave into Austria.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2022, 18:56:59 »

My grandparent's house (the equivalent of a local vicarage) burnt down but adjacent houses survived.

Goodness.   This is one of those occasions I want to acknowledge that posting but I do not want to click on "Like".  I was very much aware through Germany that I was visiting cities that had histories of which this is a micro-component but all encompassing for those involved.   

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: