Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:45:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Quiz - December 2022  (Read 8452 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 01, 2022, 06:35:01 »

It's here.   December!.  In the lead up to Christmas, on I have put together a random selection of 24 pictures to in the form of an Advent Quiz - "Where is this" is the initial question for each day, but I'm encouraging members as they answer to write a little more - some of
1. Where is it
2. Can you tell us more about the place? 
3. When the picture was taken (though all are pictures I have taken)?
4. How things in the picture might have come about?
5. A personal note

An example ... I will answer

1. This is Barnham

2. It the junction on the railway along the South Coast where the branch to Bognor Regis turns off. There are three platform lines, the line behind the platform I was standing on being the platform that most Bognor services use.  The train shown is one of the old class 313 units, of which just a few are left (?) ...

3. It was taken in May this year

4. and 5.  I was on a Brighton to Southampton train which got diverted to Bognor Regis, and we all got dumped off to wait for the following train.  As I recall, it wasn't a terribly long wait there - no more than 20 or 30 minutes to carry on to the next stage, but it meant a series of missed connections that had me arriving in Trowbridge after the last train, and the last bus too, had departed for Melksham for the day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 06:37:34 »

1st December 2022. Where is this?   What more information can you add about the place / time?  Stories?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 07:40:59 »

1st December 2022. Where is this?   What more information can you add about the place / time?  Stories?

I see I drew a complete blank yesterday - let's see if anyone can place today's. There are some steamingly obvious clues in there!

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 08:20:37 »

The direction signs in the top right of the picture mention Battersea Park, and it's a century too new to be Battersea Park station.  So my guess is that it's on the Northern Line extension and is Battersea Power Station station.  (A name beloved of certain Youtubers for the opportunity to add more "station" words when mentioning the name.)
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 08:28:59 »

Battersea Power Station Station

The only Tube station with 'Station' as part of it's name. Opened 20/09/21 so therefore joint youngest station on the London Underground.
I am not able to say much more about this place as the closest I have been to it was while travelling between Waterloo & Clapham Junction.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 12:52:32 »

Yes, the picture is Battersea Power Station station, opened on 20th September 2021 and visited and photographed on 9th July 2022; people in the picture include our guests from Ukraine - it was a day out in London with myself as guide, and I took the opportunity to add a couple of unconventional things into the route.  We stopped at the pub across the road - the Duchess Belle - for a soft drink and took the bus back into town, via Vauxhall to Lambeth Palace and then walked along the South Bank past the Covid memorial wall and County Hall to Hungerford Bridge - though I think that has a new name now?

This picture, the headline from Barnham and the one unsolved from yesterday are all British Isles but not GWR (Great Western Railway).  That's a bit of a co-incidence; perhaps a half of the 24 pitures I have ARE in GWR territory, with the rest mostly in the Briish Isles and no more than one or two from further afield.

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 13:32:03 »

Here goes; my first post for a while!

The ScotRail branding on the poster gives a clue as to the location...somewhere in Scotland, and sometime between 2008 when that branding was launched, and the present day.

Overhead, the rusty riveted metalwork suggests rail tracks above, making me think this may be a low-level part of a larger station. And as they don’t build them like that anymore, it must be a station that’s been there some considerable time.

From the clues I’ll hazard a guess that it’s Glasgow Central, but not with any certainty.

If it is, my first visit was back in 1995, but as I recall, flooding had closed the low-level lines at that time, so it’s not a part of the station that I would have visited.

Can’t say that the blue lighting does much to enhance the environment to my eyes - reminiscent of the lighting used to deter substance abuse in public conveniences (perhaps the same thinking here, given Scotland’s problems with this unfortunate issue?).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 13:41:29 »

Here goes; my first post for a while!

Welcome 'back'.

From the clues I’ll hazard a guess that it’s Glasgow Central, but not with any certainty.

Clues well noted, and you are correct.

If it is, my first visit was back in 1995, but as I recall, flooding had closed the low-level lines at that time, so it’s not a part of the station that I would have visited.

Can’t say that the blue lighting does much to enhance the environment to my eyes - reminiscent of the lighting used to deter substance abuse in public conveniences (perhaps the same thinking here, given Scotland’s problems with this unfortunate issue?).

It is / was on that date (6th December 2019)  not a welcoming environment.    Hard to buy tickets at some intermediate stations, and no option but to stand in line for this machine as their first and only "opportunity to buy" prior to barriers.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 23:48:53 »

then walked along the South Bank past the Covid memorial wall and County Hall to Hungerford Bridge - though I think that has a new name now?

The rail bridge is still called Hungerford Bridge but the two recent footbridges (2002) either side are both called the Golden Jubilee Bridges. I walk over both footbridges most weekdays but use the rail bridge when the weather is against me. (SouthEastern: Waterloo East <=> Charing Cross).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 06:56:25 »

So where is this fine train?

lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 07:14:51 »

Is it Bridgend? The platform signage looks like TfW and at first I looked for Welsh stations named ‘Pen…. Bridge’ based on what is visible of the sign. When I found there weren’t any I remembered that Bridgend is Pen-y-bont in Welsh. Picture looks fairly recent. Wikipedia tells me platform 3 was reopened for Maesteg trains (and 1A for Vale of Glamorgan ones).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 07:46:33 »

Is it Bridgend? The platform signage looks like TfW and at first I looked for Welsh stations named ‘Pen…. Bridge’ based on what is visible of the sign. When I found there weren’t any I remembered that Bridgend is Pen-y-bont in Welsh. Picture looks fairly recent. Wikipedia tells me platform 3 was reopened for Maesteg trains (and 1A for Vale of Glamorgan ones).

Yes, it is.

Bridgend was reduced in passenger terms to just an intermediate station in the 70s when the service to Treherbert was withdrawn (the service from Barry having been withdrawn a few years earlier).  The truncated Treherbert service - as far as Maesteg - was reopened in 1992 and the service via Barry to Cardiff in 2005.   Platform 3 was indeed re-opened but appears unused again, with Maesteg trains running to / from Cardiff and in many cases points east thereof such as Cheltenham Spa.

Picture taken when I was using SailRail from Rosslare to Melksham on 28th October 2022 - I dropped back from the Fishguard Harbour to Cardiff boat train (2 x 153, packed!) to this late running Swansea to Paddington Express - thank you Real Time Trains for flagging the option up - and arrived at Swindon for a good connection to Melksham, where I arrived one train earlier than would have been the case if the London Express had been ahead of the boat train, which is how it's timetabled.  And regular readers will know that trains to Melksham are infrequent, and so getting home one train early is a real bonus!

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 11:24:05 »

So where is this fine train?

Sorry Grahame, but that is not "a fine train"................it's two pretty mediocre short trains joined together.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 05:58:35 »

And for 4th December, where was I when I took this picture?

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 08:47:03 »

In  another country.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: