Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:36 Liskeard to Looe
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:08 Looe to Liskeard
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:36 Liskeard to Looe
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:32:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Quiz - December 2022  (Read 8449 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2022, 19:21:22 »

One thing I found puzzling in that picture of Passau is the lack of stairs and escalators between the platforms and the upper "transfer deck". So that means the bridge thingy - whatever it is - isn't part of the station at all. But there's no footbridge, so is there a subway?

One of Google Earth's photos, while recent, shows a different platform set-up. Jumping into Google's time machine, I see they were digging holes for a subway only six years ago. So I guess, if you'd gone there even ten years ago, you'd have been ambling across the tracks to get your train. (No jaywalking!)

Or  maybe (more prosaically) they had a stairs-only subway, and built a new Zugang für alles one
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2022, 19:33:51 »

Goodness.   This is one of those occasions I want to acknowledge that posting but I do not want to click on "Like".

Thankfully no casualties ....but enough of this topic drift I've started!   Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2022, 20:04:00 »

One thing I found puzzling in that picture of Passau is the lack of stairs and escalators between the platforms and the upper "transfer deck". So that means the bridge thingy - whatever it is - isn't part of the station at all. But there's no footbridge, so is there a subway?

There *is* a subway - you can see it in the pictures;  I don't know its history. 

To get over the tracks, you come out of the station, walk along the street some yards east, and walk up a number of flights of straight around a lift to about 2nd floor level, then across a footbridge that's attached to what seems to be a postal depot / garage over the tracks.  I suspect that there ARE lifts for mail down to the platforms - but the route for passengers is horrendous.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2022, 22:29:36 »

From those pictures, the subway only has stairs. That seems surprising, for something built so recently. Having stomped all over Germany, up and down stairs, what is your impression of how many larger stations still don't have step-free access?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2022, 06:45:44 »

From those pictures, the subway only has stairs. That seems surprising, for something built so recently. Having stomped all over Germany, up and down stairs, what is your impression of how many larger stations still don't have step-free access?

I passed quite quickly through and don't recall lifts.  However, I would be pretty sure that there are lifts across the subway - so as you walk towards the platforms, it's left for the stairs and right for the lifts.

https://help.g2rail.com/stations/passau-hbf appears to confirm this.

In general there is excellent lift access and ramps at smaller stations.  However, my sample was not a huge one and biased towards bigger places.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2022, 06:47:52 »

And where is this? - 5th December 2022

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2022, 07:24:18 »

Well the livery might suggest Gatwick Express. But the way stock has been moved around to replace shortages it could be almost anywhere. I will have to leave it to the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") experts.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2022, 07:49:46 »

Newbury Station? Newbury trains were often run with ex Gatwick trains for a while.
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2022, 10:33:39 »

I will have to leave it to the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") experts.
I’m not an expert, but that OLE is certainly on the Western Route.

Taken sometime between July 20th and December 3rd 2021, when GWR (Great Western Railway) had this unit on loan from GTR.

With the help of a mirror, I could possibly name the location too  Wink
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2022, 10:59:42 »

Didcot Parkway, platforms 3 & 4?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2022, 11:30:06 »

Didcot Parkway, platforms 3 & 4?

Yes.   Picture taken on 11th November 2021 at 10:57.   I was dropping back for Zoom meeting about buses which I took from the waiting shelter forward on platforms 2 and 3, starting at 11:05 after our pause for remembrance at 11:00.

We never seem to have all of our trains in the same livery, do we?  There were a number of Gatwick Express and C2C class 387 units around at the time, here in GWR (Great Western Railway) territory as a stop-gap to bolster that fleet as it took over some 80x duties  which could not be filled due to the cracking issue.

There are still at least two blue 16x units around in the Bristol area, but it feels a long time since I saw an FGW (First Great Western) blue 150 or 158, and I'm pretty sure all the castles are green.  I wonder when the next sprinking of colour will come through the fleet ...

Do we like uniformity, a bit of variety, or everyone different? Who else misses Casper, and would love to see him running an "off hours" extra service Swindon <-> Westbury to make the service up to hourly?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2022, 11:49:21 »

I was agreeing with Didcot for that picture, based on those OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") structures that don't seem to be used elsewhere. But one thing didn't match the other pictures I found - the platform lamps. Were they, by any chance, replaced in May-July 2017? 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2022, 17:30:53 »

In  another country.

Yep - and it's really interesting to dig a little deeper, say "yes", and ask what gives that away.
Definitely the style of the housing on the left.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2022, 05:49:30 »

And for today ...

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2022, 07:12:42 »

I don't know where it is - maybe Bristol - but thank you Graham for the picture with a fascinating jumbled townscape of 19th and 20th century buildings all coexisting close together.  A surveyor would have fun drawing the plan of that area.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: