Delayed
05:25 Swansea to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 05:28:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Quiz - December 2022  (Read 8667 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2022, 08:49:16 »

EXTRA. The final day of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services between Bristol and London Waterloo, 10th December 2021.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2022, 15:57:40 »

EXTRA. The final day of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services between Bristol and London Waterloo, 10th December 2021.

Yep! ... and my post in another thread shows just how (over)crowded the trains that run between Bristol and Westbury were today.  Not just an issue today - regular reports of shortforms and people being left behind.

It would seem that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and SWR did not do a proper analysis of the effect of train reductions.   Did they take the "two short planks bully" approach of not listening to logic and local inputs, but rather shouting and screaming the it WOULD work with just GWR (Great Western Railway) on the basis that is you say something loudly and often enough, it will come to pass!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2022, 06:11:34 »

Where is this ... 11 December 2022 ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2022, 07:41:38 »

Looks like the station cafe at Liskeard.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2022, 08:00:03 »

Looks like the station cafe at Liskeard.

It is indeed - lovely, light, airy setting!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2022, 05:01:37 »

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2022, 07:45:24 »

It's Christmas! It's got to be Bath!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2022, 09:03:19 »

It's Christmas! It's got to be Bath!

It is indeed, taken on 25th November.

My train was a few minutes late ... so a dirty dash for the bus home failed (it is really irritating being able to cross in front of it, but not join it!)

Though of course every cloud has a sliver lining and it did give me a chance to look at the available bus information.   Bath Bus Station has an air of being unloved ...

Good news is that service 11 from Bay 9 - has resumed since I took the picture.  Operated by Big Lemon, I have a picture of their electric bus in the bay, supplied by a third party so not my copyright.   And magnificent and yellow it looks too!

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2022, 10:45:50 »

My train was a few minutes late ... so a dirty dash for the bus home failed (it is really irritating being able to cross in front of it, but not join it!)

No idea how to bring it about, but the Devizes/Chippenham buses need to call at the stop the 620 Stagecoach service uses in Manvers Street stop by that ex-Debenhams collonnade, which would allow the sidestepping of a lot of 'slightly late connection' accidents.

At the same time, Bath's Larkhall and Fairfield Park sixes and sevens need to be returned to serve the bus station. Anything else drives a modal shift to car, or impoverishes those with no car and poor mobility.

In terms of the bus station looking cared for, there's been progress in that someone gave the glazing a clean. The unstaffed and guidance free information desk is really poor though: people regularly wait hopefully at it before tackling the various staff on their way to and from buses, which must drive everyone bonkers.

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2022, 15:13:36 »

No idea how to bring it about, but the Devizes/Chippenham buses need to call at the stop the 620 Stagecoach service uses in Manvers Street stop by that ex-Debenhams collonnade, which would allow the sidestepping of a lot of 'slightly late connection' accidents.

That seed of an idea has already been sewn in some key places, with a logical case being put forward.  I also have some idea of the background / history to why they do not stop the time moment on the way out, even though they stop across the road on the way in and routinely disgorge a significant number of passengers.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2022, 05:36:26 »

13th December 2022 ...

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2022, 09:06:46 »

Looks like a fine specimen of a First Great Western blue liveried bench. I also note some original-looking Great Western Railway spear fencing through the window hole in the wall.

No idea on the precise location, but I am intrigued as to what the bench is chained to. Presumably there to prevent it from being thrown on to the running line, rather than to stop someone from thieving it...!
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2022, 09:18:50 »

No idea on the precise location, but I am intrigued as to what the bench is chained to. Presumably there to prevent it from being thrown on to the running line, rather than to stop someone from thieving it...!

Also no idea, but the bench itself looks bolted to the floor, so perhaps something was chained to the bench - in an unsuccessful attempt to to stop someone from thieving it.
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2022, 10:51:52 »

Looks like the Up Waiting room at Liskeard.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2022, 11:00:32 »

Looks like the Up Waiting room at Liskeard.

Oh ...you have me worried.  I might have mislabelled it.  It wasn't supposed to be. Typical for 13th for something like that to go wrong.  Help,  anyone - the images this week have been pre-prepared and I'm allot sea over this (and literally too!)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: