17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 05:55:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Farringdon <> Brighton Thameslink Anomaly  (Read 1297 times)
CJB666

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2022, 22:22:01 »

Trying to purchase tickets online is more than an anomaly it’s downright impossible. I need to purchase these for when a friend is visiting. We wish to travel on Thameslink from Farringdon to / from Brighton. But the route - whilst actually direct - is impossible to book tickets for. Quite simply none of the booking systems recognise this as a valid route.

I have tried booking with Trainline, GWR (Great Western Railway), SWT (South West Trains), and Thameslink itself.

The result is always a convoluted route of anything up to 4 changes.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 22:50:24 by CJB666 » Logged
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 22:38:46 »

Typically here’s the Thameslink routing:

Route:
Farringdon to Whitechapel (Elizabeth Line)
Whitechapel to Victoria (Underground)
Victoria to Brighton (Gatwick Exp.)

It does not offer a direct routing.

The other companies sites offer equally weird routes such as via the Bakerloo Line, and London Bridge to Victoria for the Gatwick Express.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 22:48:28 by CJB666 » Logged
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 23:00:25 »

Have you spot-checked a different date? Strike day or engineering work, perhaps.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 23:16:00 »

There are two flavours of Farringdon Station: Farringdon, code ZFD (which is the Thameslink one), and Farringdon (Elizabeth Line), code FDX. The GWR (Great Western Railway) planner works with the first and refuses the second. NRE(resolve)'s planner won't even let you enter FDX.

Not very clever, these journey planners, are they?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 10:48:01 »

There are two flavours of Farringdon Station: Farringdon, code ZFD (which is the Thameslink one), and Farringdon (Elizabeth Line), code FDX. The GWR (Great Western Railway) planner works with the first and refuses the second. NRE(resolve)'s planner won't even let you enter FDX.

Not very clever, these journey planners, are they?

In NRE I can do a FZP to CTK and it gives me a via ZFD (CTK City Thamesink) using the Elizebth Line

However to go to BFR (Blackfriars) NRE insists on send you via the underground!

The same absurdity if you want to go to St Pancras NRE will send you via the Circle Line and not via Farringdon Liz Line / Thameslink change

Hopefully the May timetable change will sort out these journeys

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 11:48:35 »

Trying to purchase tickets online is more than an anomaly it’s downright impossible. I need to purchase these for when a friend is visiting. We wish to travel on Thameslink from Farringdon to / from Brighton. But the route - whilst actually direct - is impossible to book tickets for. Quite simply none of the booking systems recognise this as a valid route.

I have tried booking with Trainline, GWR (Great Western Railway), SWT (South West Trains), and Thameslink itself.

The result is always a convoluted route of anything up to 4 changes.

Have you spot-checked a different date? Strike day or engineering work, perhaps.

I tend to agree with Hafren. What date(s) are you looking at? I've just looked at Tuesday 24th January with gwr.com and it shows all direct services.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 12:58:55 »

The dates we were looking at were the actual dates required: Dec 22 2022
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 13:01:31 »

Fastest journey problem I think.

Going via tube & VIC is quicker than the slower TLink…
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 13:09:34 »

Looks like a data issue...

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:ZFD/2022-12-22/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TL

No Thameslink trains in the database for a large chunk of the day! This is repeatable across the Thameslink network and on different dates that week, and seems too widespread to be related to works or anything to do with planning for the action short of strike. Data upload glitch or not wanting to confirm how industrial action affects things yet, I wonder.

But not good for the customer. Given it's not far off, some will buy more expensive tickets and plan longer journeys as a result.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 13:20:11 »

Here’s an option from GWR (Great Western Railway):

Farringdon - Brighton
Thu 22 Dec 2022 1 passenger

Changes: 2

Elizabeth Line
*       09:02 Farringdon 08m
*       09:05 Tottenham Court Road (Elizabeth line)
*       09:07 Bond Street (Elizabeth line)
*       09:10 London Paddington
Connection time: 15m

Undrrground
*       09:25 London Paddington 17m Journey time
*       09:42 London Victoria
Connection time: 17m

Gatwick Express
*       09:59 London Victoria 58m
*       10:31 Gatwick Airport
*       10:43 Haywards Heath
*       10:57 Brighton

====
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 13:32:18 »

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:ZFD/2022-12-22/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TL

No Thameslink trains in the database for a large chunk of the day! This is repeatable across the Thameslink network and on different dates that week, and seems too widespread to be related to works or anything to do with planning for the action short of strike. Data upload glitch or not wanting to confirm how industrial action affects things yet, I wonder.

But not good for the customer. Given it's not far off, some will buy more expensive tickets and plan longer journeys as a result.

Not good indeed - the fares quoted usually include Gatwick Express for some reason. Thameslink only aka direct offer the cheapest fares which is what we need. The fares seem to be available from ticket machines.

We also tried JourneyCheck.com but got the message ‘You are forbidden to use this link’
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 13:45:17 »

Fastest journey problem I think.

Going via tube & VIC is quicker than the slower TLink…

But we only want the direct service TLink service sans any diversion esp. not using Gatwick Express. Yet the ticketing sites are refusing that route. I did try Farringdon Thameslink to Blackfriars via City Thameslink and was told this route does not exist. But it’s been there for years. I wonder if MTR have interfered and are insisting that TfL» (Transport for London - about) always route tickets using the Elizabeth Line?
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 13:49:24 »

It looks like some trains are in the database after 5pm, so if your main concern is to get the system to sell you a (non-AP) ticket for that date, you could try an evening journey.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 16:27:11 »

Hold fire & you'll be able to see them in a day or so.

From Thameslink twitter feed

Yes, your (sic) correct its currently showing you have to make 2 changes, apologies for this there seems to be an error, this has been reported. As soon as our teams are able to rectify this, journey planners will be updated.  ^Sonia

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 16:27:45 »

I often have to go to Three Bridges for work, I shifted to Thameslink / Circle Line to Padd / Maidenhead during the lockdowns.   Even with hardly any travellers the single change at Farringdon and the closeness of plat 14 at Padd to the Circle made for a simpler and actually faster journey time.

Now its a no brainer Thameslink / Liz Line is far simpler and one change ................. what's not to like

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: