16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:50:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia, air fares and XPT  (Read 1243 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2022, 09:47:59 »

With the HST (High Speed Train) and derivative fleet here in decline, here's an interesting alternative view from Australia:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/dec/11/flights-were-expensive-so-i-took-the-overnight-sydney-to-melbourne-train-it-was-cheap-and-cheerful-at-first

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 12:56:32 »

Thanks for this.  A few years ago, I did the day train from Sydney to Melbourne.  10 hrs 50 mins.  Obviously a long time on a train but I had a window seat and enjoyed it.  Not expensive - $72 as I remember.   Was tickled that the buffet offered a "Devonshire tea" around 11 00.  It was indeed a cream tea with hot scones.  Hope to do it again one day. 

Here's the timetable  https://transportnsw.info/documents/timetables/93-621-Southern-NSW-20190907.pdf
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 14:32:52 »

'Morning Tea' is an institution - particularly so in New Zealand. I agree with your comments. I did Brisbane to Coff's Harbour some years ago, sitting on the left hand side, anticipating lots of lovely sea views. The sea was out of sight for every yard of the journey! But still very enjoyable.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 12:22:04 »

Might be worth noting that Melbourne to Sydney is almost exactly the same distance (as the crow flies) as Paris to Melbourne - would be a 3h trip on a TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse).

Two 5m+ population cities with Canberra in the middle, should be one of those no-brainers like Madrid <> Barcelona.   
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 12:55:22 »

Might be worth noting that Melbourne to Sydney is almost exactly the same distance (as the crow flies) as Paris to Melbourne

SNIP

/ Pedant on

I've read this a few times, and still think you're 10,000 miles out  Wink

Pedant off  /
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 14:32:42 »

Might be worth noting that Melbourne to Sydney is almost exactly the same distance (as the crow flies) as Paris to Melbourne

SNIP

/ Pedant on

I've read this a few times, and still think you're 10,000 miles out  Wink

Pedant off  /
I'm wondering if Eurostar has been extended to Derbyshire?  Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 20:30:26 »

^^ My apologies Sydney (AU) to Melbourne (AU) similar distance to Paris (FR) to Marseille (FR) ;-)

Now you've got me thinking, Brisbane to Roma (both in Queensland) is in fact more or less the same distance as Paris to Lyon, with the couple of trains a week taking 10 hours, but I'm not sure the population really justifies a TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) service ;-) 
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 09:56:21 »

We did the Sydney > Brisbane overnighter in September 2016. I don't recall exactly how much it cost but remember thinking it was pretty good value. A decent hot meal was served before bedtime. And before it got dark the scenery in and around the Hawkesbury River was absolutely fantastic.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 10:03:46 »

Thanks for this.  A few years ago, I did the day train from Sydney to Melbourne.  10 hrs 50 mins.  Obviously a long time on a train but I had a window seat and enjoyed it.  Not expensive - $72 as I remember.   Was tickled that the buffet offered a "Devonshire tea" around 11 00.  It was indeed a cream tea with hot scones.  Hope to do it again one day. 

Here's the timetable  https://transportnsw.info/documents/timetables/93-621-Southern-NSW-20190907.pdf

Fascinating. In another era I spent a few winter days in Adelaide, in the process visiting the Belair National Park - by train, the station being at the edge of Adelaide's suburban network. Forthcoming travels involved various ticket transactions both local and long distance as one of us was headed for the 'Ghan' at least one of the tickets had been booked and needed collecting. I recall a conversation at the ticket counter which involved the ticket person raising an eyebrow at our almost straightforward request, looking at paperwork, and responding, not unkindly, 'Well, since you're a pom we've *probably* f**ked it up'.

Then, alone, a day marked by cold and occasional torrential rain, but an enjoyable explore of the national park - the line that carries the suburban trains has more distant ambitions as it's also the route to far-away Melbourne, winding away across and eventually through the hills to the south east of Adelaide.

I walked as far as one of the tunnels, damp in the hills among the leaf-drooping eucalyptus. Returning to Belair station, which is  thoroughly heritage, the trip back to Adelaide gave the opportunity to check out the various points at which the first iteration of the line had been improved by the easing of curves, new bridges and at one point I seem to recall a tunnel abandoned by the railway.

At that time there was no through service to Melbourne, so when the time came to make the journey it was on to a coach for the first half of the trip to a small town called Dimboola, then at the outer reach of services from Melbourne, and basking in crisp cool winter sunlight. Ample time for the connection, so I walked up to Dimboola's main street as I needed a bank. While at the counter, a resident came in and slapped down a sheep's hide as though going to deposit it, which felt far too stereotypical for words.

Back to the station, onto the train, and the journey to Melbourne continued, though not without incident as miscreants from Ballarat  lobbed a brick at one of the carriage windows, breaking it. A quick inspection from the train crew, and on we went. On arrival at Melbourne, a team was waiting on the platform with a replacement window, so it can be said that Spencer Street Station people are well prepared for such happenings.

Mark
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 08:28:30 »

Today there's a comparison of various modes on that journey. I expect the results would be rather different for a comparable journey in Britain!
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/dec/10/planes-trains-and-automobiles-comparing-cost-speed-and-emissions-of-sydney-melbourne-travel

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: