I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:35:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gareth Simpson’s Stolen Bag  (Read 3739 times)
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2022, 20:59:21 »

Unpleasant happening. Anyone able to assist?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 09:49:38 »

One wiuld hope that he’salso put in a ‘proper’ report to BTP (British Transport Police) as well as tweeting about it. Only the BTP can request the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 12:51:43 »

One wiuld hope that he’salso put in a ‘proper’ report to BTP (British Transport Police) as well as tweeting about it. Only the BTP can request the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage

Reported to GWR (Great Western Railway) and BTP, yes

The lad's not having a great time, what with the falling apart of the club to which he'd given so much and now this.  The stolen bag and other items will obviously mean a great deal to him.

As one who can remember going to the dining car to get a meal and confidently leaving luggage whilst doing so, I'm very sad that those days are gone.  I don't think this is just "rose coloured spectacles".  I think there are more people with less respect for others and others' property
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 13:02:29 »

As one who can remember going to the dining car to get a meal and confidently leaving luggage whilst doing so, I'm very sad that those days are gone.  I don't think this is just "rose coloured spectacles".  I think there are more people with less respect for others and others' property

I kind of agree, though there's no doubt CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) on new trains (and the odd retrofit to old trains) has helped dissuade thieves.  I remember being told about organised gangs roaming around on trains between Birmingham and Wolverhampton back in the 1990s when there was hardly any CCTV, even at the stations, and it was often easier to travel without a ticket.  I'm sure it wasn't just the West Midlands.

I would be interested to see some statistics over that sort of time period if anyone has them?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 14:18:21 »

A week isn't actually that long - it can take at least that to source the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage - so there's still hope, I reckon
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 11:33:58 »

There was that incident many years ago where a stolen suitcase at Reading turned out to have a bomb in it. Or at least bomb making equipment.

BTP (British Transport Police) used to have a series of videos about the distraction techniques used by people to lift luggage when people are boarding but I can't find them now.
the void

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 14:16:47 »

CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) is not used as a tool for locating lost property – downloading and viewing CCTV footage is a very costly and time-consuming process, with no guarantee it will yield any results. GWR (Great Western Railway) receive around 500 lost property reports each week, so it would simply be impractical to download and view CCTV footage for all of these.

Customers are entitled to request footage that train companies may hold of them – the key point being footage of them, not of their belongings.

Requests will be considered but not necessarily granted – there are many factors that will influence a decision.

The BTP (British Transport Police) can access CCTV footage, but realistically they are unlikely to do for a lost/stolen bag. It was a three hour train journey, so that's three hours of footage to trawl through for each camera. If somebody did take the bag, what help would CCTV footage actually be - the perpetrator would likely have their face obscured.

Customers regularly report 'stolen' luggage, and in most cases the items were not stolen at all - simply left on the train. It is very easy to become disoriented on a train carriage as both ends look the same. Customers will board at one end, place their bag in the rack and then sit down somewhere in the middle of the carriage. At the end of their journey they will head to the rack to find their bag missing, but it's actually exactly where they left it - at the other end of the carriage.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 16:00:48 »

CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) is not used as a tool for locating lost property

This incident isn't about lost property though. It's a theft.

What's the point of having a CCTV system if it's not going to be used to gather evidence of a crime?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
the void

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 17:14:55 »

As mentioned, the majority of 'thefts' that customers report, turn out not to be thefts at all, but simply lost property.

Ultimately, the use of CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) to gather evidence is entirely down to the BTP (British Transport Police). In all likelihood they would determine that this was not a high enough priority to warrant the time and expense. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 17:58:55 »

As mentioned, the majority of 'thefts' that customers report, turn out not to be thefts at all, but simply lost property.

But there's no indication that, in this instance, this is about lost property.

I'm always very dubious of supposed 'facts' claiming to be 'the majority'. Without statistics and empirical evidence it's nothing more than opinion.

GWR (Great Western Railway) could of course look through the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) for evidence of the theft. But no doubt again the excuse will be its not worth the time and expense. To them of course. The customers who experience crime on one of their trains just have to suck it up.

[Opinion not fact] It's perfectly possible that this theft was committed by someone who does this habitually. To not gather evidence means they are unlikely to be caught. So more customers could be victims.

Is it the case that only crimes against the person will warrant a search of CCTV? Sad state of affairs if so.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 18:04:53 by JayMac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 18:09:25 »

On a related note.

"Please use the luggage racks provided" and often PA (Public Address) announcements about luggage on seats and in aisles.

But...

"Please do not leave items unattended" and "Keep an eye on your personal belongings at all times."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 18:09:59 »

No doubt.  But then we can't always go with the majority.   The majority of passengers who go through security screening at airports aren't carrying anything dangerous with intent to harm, but we're mighty glad these things are checked because of a tiny minority.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 21:41:32 »

Gareth tweeted earlier today that BTP (British Transport Police) are investigating
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 21:51:37 »

Gareth tweeted earlier today that BTP (British Transport Police) are investigating

Excellent. That's as it should be. Not dismissed as being too costly/time consuming to be investigated, or assumptive that the customer forgot their property.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 15:08:30 »

Not just a problem for rugger player Gareth ...

https://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/news/23396749.chicago-bound-man-suitcase-stolen-train-heathrow/

and the cops are on the case ...

https://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/news/23408359.cctv-released-spate-bag-thefts-trains-near-evesham/

I hope this pair get caught and have the book thrown at them
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: