Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:19:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[153] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[57] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[51] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[25] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[23] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rural buses - does anyone promote them?  (Read 628 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: December 16, 2022, 00:00:57 »

We have two buses here in Charlbury: the S3 Charlbury-Woodstock-Oxford (operated by Stagecoach) and the X9 Chipping Norton-Charlbury-Witney (operated by Pulhams).

Both were formerly commercially viable, just about. Post-pandemic both are now on subsidy and likely to be withdrawn unless their fortunes turn round.

It occurred to me earlier that I've never seen a single piece of publicity for either service. No leaflet drops, no posters, no advertising, no promotional fares, no community outreach. Nothing other than sticking timetables up at bus stops. The bus comes and the bus goes and it's up to you to find out about it.

As it happens, both services are fairly labyrinthine, partly as a result of the town's one-way system but also due to the way the S3 interworks with Chipping Norton services. I've lived here for 20 years and take an unhealthy interest in these things, and even I only figured out last week which way the evening S3 services leave Charlbury. The most common complaint I hear is that "I don't know where and when the buses go from".

Stagecoach and Pulhams are both generally thought of as good operators. So - is this normal? Are other Coffee Shoppers outside the big metropolises being regularly exhorted to get their local buses?
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 06:59:39 »

Most of my bus journeys tend to be between local towns; Reading to Wokingham/Bracknell or Reading to Newbury.

services are fairly labyrinthine
This is normally (locally?) a function of subsidy to enable the availability (?) to the most number of potential passengers for the amount of subsidy paid. This means that buses through Wokingham tend to have their routes reviewed and changed fairly regularly so that the council thinks it is getting the most passengers for its pound. Gets gripes from the elderly passengers that Reading is causing the problem (their buses) but it is actually caused by their council (Wokingham).

West Berkshire does tend to advertise especially their cheap bus deals in the run up to Christmas. Never seen anything off bus in Reading despite the council owning the bus company.

Going "further afield" to Oxford I think there is less information now that Thames Travel has been completely absorbed into Oxford Bus. To High Wycombe I tend avoid Arriva (especially the back seats) as they had another bus fire this year, and seen another one towed out of Reading in the last month. Don't always have timetables on their bus stops.

I would have though with the current situation on the railways that bus companies should have been shouting their wares from the roof tops.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 12:26:25 »

Frome Town Council together with FAVBUG (local campaign group) are planning quite a large promotion of bus services (and I hope rail services too) in the area for early 2023. This will include features in the local newspaper and other material.

Frome Town Council being an unusual authority and quite dynamic has various "green" transport campaigns. This one will definitely be an awareness campaign since people do not seem to know the range of public transport services available even in a smaller town like Frome. One aspect will be use of services across town for medical appointments and town centre visits. Frome is quite well served for bus and train services, not always so frequent, but we do (still) have regular evening bus and train services to/from Bath and beyond.

The Melksham team have, naturally, undertaken similar promotions previously.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: