I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:55:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: High Speed Train Replacement  (Read 15189 times)
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 16:17:30 »

Most Voyager coaches have recently had a signal boosting technology installed...

Voyager trains are much better now that they have had the signal boosting technology installed.

The free Wi-fi is a good idea as long as it works better than NXEC (National Express East Coast)'s wi-fi.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 19:13:47 »

Virgin should not have put signal boosters in, but signal blockers!

NO BLINDs, just use special tinted glass to remove any glare. Cool

One thing good about Virgin's trains, are the destination boards on the doors. It means that if you are in a hurry, and have not checked the departure screens, you can double check before boarding.

Yes, put them on HST2 (but omit "service code" - who needs that?).
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 21:53:06 »

One useful feature on all new trains, whether HST2 or local, is a track condition sensor, with auto - report to to Network Rail.

Real time telemetry reports from the network will allow Network Rail to monitor track conditions and prioritise maintenance work, and hopefully provide a better network!
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 17:39:54 »

If diesel then power car at each end, not under floor engines distributed through train - Adelantes were noisy. 2 + 8 or 9 and more installed horsepower, say 2,750 or 3,000 each power car so as to allow for all the hotel power that people seem to need these days. Oh and lots of tables.....
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 12:20:22 »

For the quiet coaches , I would like technology installed that prevents the phone from getting a signal.

What about those like me who like to quietly text with my phone on silent?  Undecided

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 13:50:50 »

For the quiet coaches , I would like technology installed that prevents the phone from getting a signal.

What about those like me who like to quietly text with my phone on silent?  Undecided

I have no problem with that, maybe I should say a technology that reduces the signal, so that only texting will work in the coach. Otherwise as long as the coach is well labelled as the quiet coach and people observe that, there would be no need for such a technology.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2008, 14:29:10 »

Quiet Zones:

*NO electronic equipment allowed

*Phones off

*No sockets

*Signal blockers

*No WiFi

*No walkman

*Annoucements played at half volume

Other carriages:

*Phones in silent mode - move to the vestibule to make and take calls

*Dito with laptops - keep them silent as possible
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2008, 15:07:31 »

The quiet carriage is always a contentious issue, with different people wanting different things. We do agree that it is a good idea to have a quiet carriage in standard class and in first class.

But if there are children travelling on advance purchase tickets they should not be booked seats in the quiet carriage, as it will mean their journey is better.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 15:12:54 »

I find my journey better if I am in the quiet zone.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2008, 16:44:48 »

signal blockers just wont work in that small a space, and be able to contain them inside 1 carrige, without taking out parts of 2 others.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2008, 17:02:24 »

Fine. How about lead paint?
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 17:03:58 »

Fine. How about lead paint?
And who exactly will allow you to paint trains with lead, it is not going to happen.
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 12:04:36 »

The quiet carriage is always a contentious issue, with different people wanting different things. We do agree that it is a good idea to have a quiet carriage in standard class and in first class.

But if there are children travelling on advance purchase tickets they should not be booked seats in the quiet carriage, as it will mean their journey is better.
I find my journey better if I am in the quiet zone.

I think that they should be able to change the reservation free of charge at any train station, if travelling with children and have been booked into the quiet carriage, would definitely be useful for younger children.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: