Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:19:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How was YOUR Christmas Day? How will you remember Christmas 2022  (Voting closed: December 28, 2022, 00:42:37)
Marvellous day - 3 (11.1%)
It was quite good - 14 (51.9%)
Ho hum - neither good nor bad - 2 (7.4%)
A bit difficult - 1 (3.7%)
Tough, but we survived it - 2 (7.4%)
Negative and our world has changed - 2 (7.4%)
I didn't notice it was Christmas - 3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas - a joy, or something to be survived?  (Read 2727 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 26, 2022, 10:10:14 »

An unusual poll - a personal one for friends / members here.  A call for opinions, asking for your votes but in a secret ballot so that you can be honest and vote as you think, not as you feel others would want you to think.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 18:19:28 »

I'm lucky and I know it!  Christmas Day at a family member's house.  Familiar, relaxed,  amusing company and this year's Christmas dinner surpassed previous already high standards.  Still home in time to deplete the port and sherry stockpile while putting our feet up to watch a film.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 07:46:21 »

Something of a co-incidence as Lisa, Lulu, Lightning and I watched the new Christmas movie "This is Christmas" last night. A train of regular commuters from the fictitious town of "Langton" into Liverpool Street start off in the late Autumn not knowing each other and an incident with the Train Manager and one who has picked up the wrong coat and left his season ticket behind brings a first chink of visible humanity.  Hey - it's a "Rom-Com" though one which goes far deeper into people, and people in the lead up to Christmas, so all ends up well in the end.  But trust and mis-trust, key characters finding that they are no longer the right ones for their established (but not yet married) partners and re-pairing, and people who are finding Christmas hard because of people lost in th year just gone all find new friendships.

From Find that location

This Is Christmas was filmed in Wapping, Hemel Hempstead, Ongar, London’s Liverpool Street Station and Pierrepont Market in Islington. The locations cover plausible workplace destinations in London, and the commuter towns of Ongar and Hemel Hempstead. Though in reality, a Hertfordshire commuter wouldn’t get far catching the Essex railway line!

An early comment on the votes in this thread.  Substantially AOK Christmas for most of you, though only one has gone as far as saying a "marvellous" day.  But around a quarter of us are less than positive about it (and sadly that includes us personally) with more than one vote suggesting that Christmas Day was a significant change.

A major reason for using a poll to ask members how their 25th went was to allow people to vote in secret and un-biased in what they say, without risk of personal kick-back. I will admit to selecting a none-positive option; for sure, there were wonderful elements to ou Christmas day but the overriding memory some 48 hours later is of cultural differences and misunderstandings that have tested us - but not (in our cases) beyond the limit and things are settling again.

Like the film, members here have become over the years much more than the person sitting in the next seat in the train.  They have become friends, some of whom we have come to know well where others remain here, but not in the limelight.  To that significant proportion who found Christmas difficult, welcome "back" here - though we never closed - and please feel able to read, post (and use "And Also" none-public area) or send personal messages - or email, or phone or set up a Zoom session.

Onwards, and upwards for 2023!  Probably another post. Looking to longer days, better weather and a chance for a trip out - wondering about going to The Beach on Saturday 15th April, and perhaps trying out Porkway Partway if it's open by then ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 07:01:52 »

OK - short poll closed

Marvellous day   - 11.1%
It was quite good   - 51.9%
Ho hum - neither good nor bad   - 7.4%
A bit difficult   - 3.7%
Tough, but we survived it   - 7.4%
Negative and our world has changed   - 7.4%

I didn't notice it was Christmas   - 11.1%

Delighted that two thirds of voting members were happy or rather blasé about Christmas - thoughts with the (roughly) fifth who find / found Christmas difficult or worse.  We are starting to move on; 2022 has been a year of many changes, many of which have been challenging.  I'm sure there will be much more happening in 2023, but I look forward hopefully to positive in some or many of them, and to being strong to meet those challenges.  Not giving up on Christmas, mind you - 25th June 2023 in our family diary to eat with friends and family, to celebrate what we have and the good in one another, and to continue to look out for others "throughout the year" and not just at the traditional Christmas.

Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 09:56:56 »

The poll results confirm my guesses about how people feel about Christmas.

As (almost ) ever, I was perfectly content with a quiet day on my own. Several of my friends (again) expressed concern about this, and a few days ago one brought along a plastic Christmas tree and decorations, then saw the look on my face and offered to take it away. I made an effort and said "no", but after she'd left I hid it away upstairs.

A cousin did volunteer her husband to drive to collect me, take me to North Wales, and then return me home after Christmas - that would have meant almost a thousand miles of driving for him. I wouldn't have enjoyed the journeys, nor that jollifications with two children (albeit very pleasant), one of whom is recovering from Strep A. And her dad is getting over Covid.

I'm virtually teetotal (though I will finish of any left-over wine I've bought for a visitor) and am not too bothered about food. I'm content that other people enjoy Christmas in their own ways, provided they don't become anti-social.

To be just a little positive, Christmas Day is just four days after the Winter Solstice, so the days are staring to lengthen, and it's pleasant to exchange cards and a little news with people one isn't normally in contact with through the year.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: