Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:49:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you added the forum to your address book or made other arrangements to ensure we stay in contact?  (Voting closed: January 20, 2023, 11:19:58)
Yes - those arrangements are (now) in place - 11 (55%)
I will get to it (if you vote this way, come back and change your vote) - 2 (10%)
No - and I will not be doing this - 7 (35%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling on friends and members to keep in touch  (Read 3415 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 06, 2023, 11:11:59 »

We have not heard from a number of members who used to post regularly from a while - not even been logged in recently.  For some, it's a change in circumstances which change their interests and priorities some of those have let us know.  For others, we (frankly) worry about what has happened to them - not so much as forum contributors but as a friends.

Two requests

1. Please add the Coffee Shop into your personal address book. This sounds morbid and dramatic, but it will let your family get in touch with us if you're incapacitated or worse. Use whatever format you like (of course) - "admin@railcustomer.info" is an email address which reaches our admin team and is intended to be robust over time (as permanent as things can be) and can be reached by none-members. Or you can use my personal details but they may be less robust should something happen to me.  Email - graham @ sn12 . net or call / text 0797 4 925 928 or just call 01225 708225 (these are all well know public contact points). When you have added the Coffee Shop to your address book, please vote in the poll to say you have done so.

2. If you visit the forum as a guest these days, but have an account here and were formerly a posting member, please send me an email to let me know how you're going - as short or long as you like.  It will be private to the core team - just a re-assurance - unless you let me know otherwise. (And I can help if you have lost you login).  For these purposes, graham @ sn12 . net

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 10:32:23 »

Not seen any further posts from member broadgage.
Really hope things are going on OK(ish?).

All the best

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 10:40:18 »

Not seen any further posts from member broadgage.
Really hope things are going on OK(ish?).

All the best

A concern I share, and we (admins / moderators) reaching out as best we can.  There are a couple of other regular posting member who haven't even visited the forum 'of late' we'll be reaching out to; each individually and quietly - for some the concern is to their health, but for others it can be a change in lifestyle which means they move on.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 16:50:36 »

Good idea.  I know of a number of people on various fora who have not posted since mid 2020 and I have to fear the worst.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 20:02:38 »

Good idea.  I know of a number of people on various fora who have not posted since mid 2020 and I have to fear the worst.

I have been doing some arithmetic ...

The forum has been running for 17 years. I have been here (for sure) for longest of any - I set it up and join at the age of 52, and here I am 68. I am an extreme case but we have 93 posting members who joined over a decade ago and have, still, visited in the last year.  93 x 9 years = 837 elapsed years ...

I will throw you a corollary here too.  A handful of youthful members in the "nought"ies (200x years) let their enthusiasm overtake the forum's agreement and guidelines and got themselves, with huge regret on the part of the moderator team, suspended.   No longer in their teens, now in their late 20s or early 30s, different people (and, yes, I know that from other web presence).  And different times;  I'll need to talk to the rest I the team, but we all know this  Wink

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 20:56:07 »

Well I joined at the age of 49 and am now 61.  Some would suggest I probably need therapy but I’ve valued the conversations and the friends I’ve met - both on line and face to face.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 22:12:39 »

As of today, to the nearest whole day I've been here 439,948,800 seconds, or 7,332,480 minutes, or 122,208 hours, or 5092 days, or 727 weeks and 3 days, or 167 months and 10 days, or 13 years 11 months and 10 days.

Or 29.74% of my life.

Obviously I've not been online all that time. I have slept a bit.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 04:43:49 »

As of today, to the nearest whole day I've been here 439,948,800 seconds, or 7,332,480 minutes, or 122,208 hours, or 5092 days, or 727 weeks and 3 days, or 167 months and 10 days, or 13 years 11 months and 10 days.

Or 29.74% of my life.

Obviously I've not been online all that time. I have slept a bit.

My elapsed time here has been 5,825 days from a lifetime of around 25,000 days (between a fifth and a quarter of a lifetime) and my forum reported time 730 days, or 2 years of my time.

Forum stats need to be read carefully; let me explain the forum reported time with myself as an example (it includes personal data visible only to each member which I am choosing to share in public). Members typically visit the Coffee Shop, reading / writing / interacting with a series of pages in a session before going away to walk the dog / take a train ride / watch a film on TV / do a days's work / sleep / interact with a partner / prepare food and eat it / go shopping.   Arrival times can be accurately measured by our server, but departure times only guessed.  Most of us simply navigate away from the site when we are done with a session without logging off each time, and the server makes a guess at us being around to read the final page of a session for 15 minutes. There is no count of the number of sessions and no way ok knowing the actual final page read time.   So I may have checked in through the life of the forum perhaps half a dozen times every day, registered as half an hour each time but in reality just over 15 minutes, before turning my attention to another site, an email, a dash to the station to catch the train to a meeting, a shower, or a discussion on politics with Lisa. There isn't really ever a true measure of being "here" or not ... I'm composing this message in a text window and not referring back to the server - however, there's another browser window behind but partly visible with a forum page showing; Lisa is scrolling through content beside me ... last night, that was live coverage from the USA as The House elected its speaker, tonight I'm not so sure what it is / it's muted.  So do I count as being "active" - dunno! - I will when I have spell checked this and am posting and for another 15 minutes, though by that time I will be asleep.  So read your personal (forum) reported time with a pinch of salt.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 18:13:04 »

Just to let members know - yes, this thread was trigged by one particular concern.  I'm relieved to report I have a smile on my face this evening - definite but very sketchy news.  I am hopeful that we will  learn more in coming days.    The thread is also making us / members think and to help ensure contact details are up to date, and indeed I getting other feedback which is really re-assuring too.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 18:13:47 »

I was shocked to see that my membership has stretched beyond 14 years and 3 months, only averaging 0.184 posts per day, with no? infringements.

Happy New Year!

OTC
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 09:35:26 »

I am "pinging" this poll to bring it up in recent posts - it's open for two weeks rather than the usual one to encourage as many intermittent visitor at practical to take part.   

I am delighted to see that a number of members are updating / have updated / already include Coffee Shop details in their address books - thank you.  I also understand that some members use the forum as a "second life" and do not want the two worlds linked - respect that decision on the vote, as it indicates it's something you have considered.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 20:14:53 »

Have you added the forum to your address book or made other arrangements to ensure we stay in contact?
Yes - those arrangements are (now) in place   - 11 (55%)
I will get to it (if you vote this way, come back and change your vote)   - 2 (10%)
No - and I will not be doing this - 7 (35%)

Many thanks to everyone who has completed this poll, whether you have added our details to your address book. If you have, thank you. If not - I appreciate you considering it.    The poll is closed, but the request to add your details to your address book, and to keep your registered email address up to date.

We have eight members who have posted over 500 times, and have visited within the last year but NOT within the last month.  Some are well known to me and I am in touch.  Some have a history of coming in spurts over the years the disappearing for a while, or who are members from l-o-n-g ago who only once or twice a year now. But just a couple I worry about and will be emailing "are you OK". A third in that category at the start of this exercise has got his email access back (phew!) having, franlky, scared his friends.   If you are a regular and going away for a while or indefinite, please let us know.

And so ... on to "where shall I go on Saturday" ... my answer is Berryfield Village Hall - for those of you going further afield, enjoy and tell us about the public transport elements!

infoman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 00:56:45 »

Grahame,
one of the things I would like to see if possible on this forum,
is that once you have look/view a posting,
if you come back and read the posting again or reply to the posting it does not count as another look/view.

I know e-bay did this a few years back as sellers were continually hitting the view button on items they were sellling to bump up the looks.

Therefore making the item look more popular than it actually was. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 04:39:26 »

The "number of views" statistic provided on this forum is a very rough measure indeed.  It counts the number of times a thread has been called for by thread number.  Where a thread has a reply added, no count is provided that tells you (or me) how many times that reply has been viewed.  And where a thread has so many replies that it moves on to a second page, the count will go on increasing even if the lead post is not viewed. On the other hand, views of recent posts with the recent button are not counted.   Where a post is in a public thread, spider and other robot visitors get counted. Where a post is in a restricted thread, I am unsure whether a denied attempt to access it is counted - I rather doubt it.

I appreciate that a count could be inflated by someone "sitting" on their reload button.  And I also note that a page could be called up by a guest and NOT counted because of caching by an intermediate application such as squid or varnish, though there are so many cache-limiting headers on the HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) content that it's probably quite rare for that to happen (in will / does happen on images we serve).

But unlike EBay, I don't think there's anything to gain here from manipulating the count by re-visiting multiple times.  The only place that threads are sorted by count is on the stats pages, and that is not monetarised or a tool that can be used to help placement.  I have no evidence that much manipulation if any goes on; I am aware that turning a page into a landing page from a Facebook post or from elsewhere does pump up the count (but then it is being viewed by a human or automaton, so the increased count is valid).

So -  don't think we have a problem that needs fixing here.    And if we tried, I suspect anything new would have similar concerns and complexities.  It would probably need extra logging and database tables or columns, and it would destroy the context of history because we don't have the source logs to generate the newly defined statistics. 

In summary - poor stat (and you'll not see me making use of it when promoting the forum or a thread) but not one that's really a problem any way. No easy or even practical alternative. So - explanation provided, suggestion looked at, but it will be staying "as is".

infoman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 06:38:12 »

Thanks Grahame for the reply,I don't think any one on here would refresh their posting/s to make the posting look good,unlike e-bay users use to do.

I just made a post about BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) breakfast news live from Leeds (under Media about railways, and other means of transport)

I notice my previous posting(BBC breakfast news LIVE from London Waterloo)  on that section it showed no replys  and 334 views.

I would like to have had 334 exclusive views,but I find it difficult to believe that the posting had 334 exclusive views.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: