21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:49:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Most recently liked subjects.  (Read 2149 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2023, 20:09:36 »

I’ve just noticed, (as viewed on my iPad), that for the 6th of the 6 threads shown in the box at the top of the homepage the “green bracketed number” on the left is not forming a clickable link.

Is this a glitch others have seen, or is it device specific?

Paul
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 20:32:21 »

Same for me on the PC but ironically not on the phone.

Been like it for a while.

I thought I’d raised it before but perhaps not.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 23:30:08 »

Bottom of the six link doesn't work for me either on Android.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 00:56:44 »

This is a known problem (at least known to me) and it has been that way for a long time.

I have spent many hours staring at the code and looking to identify what the problem, so that I can then look for a way to fix it, but I have failed to spot the root cause.  Whatever it is, it's very curious because the colour of the link renders as if it's a link, but the cursor shape and highlight comes up as it's not a link on some browsers only, on other browsers it works.   I would, then, describe it as a "superbug" that's one of those baffling things that takes a disproportionate amount of time to get the bottom of and fix.

My (less that satisfactory) solution to date has been to acknowledge this a a long term problem, but be slightly re-assured into thinking it's not exactly world-changing if that final link fails to work for some members. Each time - and it's not very often - I look at the code around that area and see if there's a fresh light that reveals a new clue, but be pragmatic in that and not to prioritise it over much or anything else - sorry, folks, irritating but please live with in.  If any of the more technical members amongst you would care to save the HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) and send me a two copies in an email - one the original and one that works, I would be grateful and that would give me a piece of evidence that would take me forward.  With the way it renders but does not link, I'm inclined to thinks there is some logical transparent layer - but why only on certain browsers I don't know. 

I'm going to have a cup of coffee, and worry the code for half an hour.  Chances of success, low - but I will have another go. If I fail, it's a pragmatic request - "sorry - please live with it" - unless told otherwise, I don't think it's a huge issue - not worth major time investment to fix, and not anything that worries me about being a security concern. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 01:23:39 »

Update - as an experiment / work around I have added an extra (not break) space character onto the end of the "Most recently liked" tables and on my browsers (Laptop Safari, Firefox, Chrome, iPad Safari, Chrome, iPhone Safari) it now clicks through correctly.   More of a work around than a know fix, but in line with my overlay theory; hope it's not added white space for any of you with other devices / browsers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 01:33:12 »

Not a browser I have just tested - could you try again and report back please

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 07:37:58 »

Now works for me on Edge.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 11:06:24 »

Now working for me,  but there’s now a completely blank line following the 6th entry, the enclosing box has presumably been extended to fit the blank line in?

iPad as before.

Thanks for looking into it Grahame
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 11:06:42 »

Not a browser I have just tested - could you try again and report back please

Working now on Chrome and Brave OS (Ordnance Survey) on Android.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 11:12:29 »

Now working for me,  but there’s now a completely blank line following the 6th entry, the enclosing box has presumably been extended to fit the blank line in?

iPad as before.

Thanks for looking into it Grahame

Yep, I was afraid of that (blank line) on some systems.  Bearing in mind positive comment elsewhere, and a lot of fixes, I think we should live with that blank line.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 11:33:30 »

Whilst we're here anyone else having a problem with the size of the site no filling out to the size of screen on an iPad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 11:35:41 »

It's now working for me on Opera.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 15:06:52 »

Whilst we're here anyone else having a problem with the size of the site no filling out to the size of screen on an iPad.
I get about a 2cm (1 thumb width)  Grin unused border on the right side on my iPad, is that similar to what you’re seeing?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 15:53:54 »

Got it spot on.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 17:25:18 »

Seeing as this thread has dropped to number 6 in the most liked list, it is probably time to post this....

That's how it looks to me using Edge.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: