Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:58:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Landslip at Hook, no trains from Basingstoke towards London  (Read 4012 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 12:24:21 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have tweeted that this is causing issues at... Pewsey.

https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/1616048137461989379

Mark
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 12:37:16 »

Interestingly there is NOT ticket acceptance with GWR (Great Western Railway) for SWR» (South Western Railway - about) tickets on that route.   

Only

- Basingstoke to Reading

- Reading to London Paddington

- Farnborough North to Guildford (customers to change at Guildford for London Waterloo).

- Farnborough North to Wokingham (customers to change at Wokingham for London Waterloo via Ascot).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 12:41:55 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have tweeted that this is causing issues at... Pewsey.

https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/1616048137461989379

Mark

Ah yes ...

Due to the landslip on the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Network, Pewsey station is experiencing a higher than normal footfall.

Because of this, there is very limited parking at Pewsey station.

Please plan ahead and make alternative arrangements where possible.

Andover is a railhead of choice for much of central southern Wiltshire, with a service every 30 minutes direct to London Waterloo.  With a change at Basingstoke onto a limited service to Woking and then with another change there onto a Waterloo train, people will be looking around.   Grateley is on the same line, Bedwyn is messy by road from the south and now involves a change at Newbury much of the time, and Pewsey becomes a natural choice.

I hope they get Hook fixed in the next few weeks, as sources suggest that Pewsey may be bustituted starting in a month or so for a couple of week, while work is done on the Berks and Hants.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 12:49:35 »

Interestingly there is NOT ticket acceptance with GWR (Great Western Railway) for SWR» (South Western Railway - about) tickets on that route.   

I can understand why .... walk up prices:
Return from Pewsey to Paddington (for 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. same day in London) - £131.40
Return from Andover to Waterloo (for 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. same day in London) - £78.40

Return from Bedwyn to Paddington (for 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. same day in London) - £69.10
(Pewsey to Bedwyn £8.00 day return BUT only one or two trains a day call at both - I wonder why  Grin )
Edit to add - £28.50 for a 7 day Pewsey to Bedwyn season ticket - so you can do a day return from Pewsey to London for £97.60 splitting at Bedwyn without calling there, and then pay £69.10 if you want to do the same trip within the next 6 days).  Or 7 day season £203.50 PEW to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), £135.10 ADV to WAT.   All fares quoted are standard class.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:58:31 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 13:24:29 »

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/other/news-and-media/news/2023/january/weekend-services-following-major-landslide-at-hook

Closure over the weekend to allow slewing of tracks and alterations in signalling to allow a limited through service from the south west.

https://twitter.com/paulcliftonbbc/status/1616056368724643846?s=61&t=xWWafhGCoUd0tL4my3LWxg
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 13:30:28 »

The Hook slip put me in mind of the long gone 'Winchester via Alton' route, which would probably be not devoid of passengers had it survived and particularly busy at the present time. Surprising that it closed as late as 1973.

I'd not realised that in connection with improvements to a road, that line's recently seen the removal of an arch bridge and length of embankment, replaced by this steel span with provision for double track (presumably a 'Like for like' replacement).

https://www.knightsbrown.co.uk/projects/replacement-of-butts-bridge-and-highway-improvements/

That in turn put me in mind of the various structures on the Scottish borders railway that were built with no passive provision for double track. Which in turn made me think of the complete lack of historic photos of how, in the days of the Waverley Route, double track was accommodated on one of the UK (United Kingdom)'s earliest railway structures, the  Glenesk viaduct near Dalkeith. (Apologies for leaping around the UK a bit with this post.)

Mark

JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 18:58:58 »

Interesting diversion this weekend on services to/from Exeter St Davids due to both the landslip and planned engineering works in the Andover area.

Services are running to/from Basingstoke via Southampton Central. On Sunday 22nd these services are also picking up the calls usually made by the local SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services between Salisbury and Southampton.

I may well take advantage of these direct services to Southampton for a day out tomorrow.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 09:27:29 »

Quite a long piece from the Network Rail Media Centre

Engineers working to repair a huge landslip at Hook in Hampshire will temporarily remodel undamaged
track to give passengers a better train service while long-term repairs continue.

The slip, on an embankment to the northeast of Hook station, has left only two tracks of the four-track railway passable by trains, with both tracks designed to be used by London-bound trains only.

Network Rail will close the railway, between Basingstoke and Woking, this weekend to allow engineers to reconfigure the track layout and bypass the landslip

Am I alone in pondering difficult questions such as

1. How long is it going to take to be back to a four track railway? If something is described by the railway as "long-term", I have a sense of foreboding. Or will someone suggest that 2 tracks should be enough henceforth?

2. How did a big failure like this occur without there being any apparent/successful preventative activity in time to avoid it?

3. Has anyone offered re-assurance that the collapse was identified in sufficiently good time to prevent a passenger train plunging down the 'ole, or are we just to be enormously thankful at the timing?

4. How many places and where else could this happen?

5. Is this regarded as a "Rail Accident" that the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) will be investigating and telling us about, or will it become just one of those things in history?

Some of these issues are addressed by Network Rail in their press release , but being a press release from the organisation that is responsible for said embankment and should (arguably perhaps) have done something before it failed, I question if it is totally unbiased and complete in some content.  Reassurance that I should not have my suspicions, and answers to my fundamentals, would be welcome.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 12:26:15 »

The fairly sudden embankment failure just south of Salisbury in early 2020 took about 6 weeks for a temporary repair, the full works took about 6 months.

The fairly sudden embankment failure just south of Botley in early 2014 took about 6 weeks for a temporary repair, the full works also took about 6 months.

I believe when there are early indications of possible embankment or cutting failure you’ll usually see fairly visible monitoring equipment on the slopes. 

I can’t find RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) reports for the above incidents, so I can only assume the risk to passengers was not above some threshold or other.  For comparison the bridge washout at Feltham has a thorough report, even though trains had been cautioned in advance as drivers had already reported a track fault as the damage was occurring.

Paul

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 13:28:00 »

Back in 2013, the big failure at Hatfield Colliery in South Yorkshire happened on February 12, though "a rough ride" had been reported by a driver on February 9, after which Network Rail were monitoring the track. The line, from Doncaster to Scunthorpe and to Hull, was closed until July (five months).

The British Geological Survey has an article about it, at https://www.bgs.ac.uk/case-studies/hatfield-colliery-south-yorkshire-landslide-case-study/.

Prompted by this and other landslips, RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)▸ did a class report, available at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c8fc4e5274a428d000147/R082014_140402_Landslips.pdf.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2023, 13:35:00 »

Prompted by this and other landslips, RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)▸ did a class report, available at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c8fc4e5274a428d000147/R082014_140402_Landslips.pdf.

Silly me - that is already mirrored for members (and comes up in searches) at http://www.passenger.chat/140402_R082014_Landslips.pdf and was summarised in http://www.passenger.chat/13800 on 2nd April 2014

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2023, 16:55:10 »

Silly me - that is already mirrored for members (and comes up in searches) at http://www.passenger.chat/140402_R082014_Landslips.pdf and was summarised in http://www.passenger.chat/13800 on 2nd April 2014

None of the landslips covered in that report was an embankment failure. The previous broad investigation into the subject was RAIB Report 25/2008, but that was pretty superficial. If you want something more meaty, the sequence of post-Carmont reports included "A Review of Earthworks Management", from Lord Mair's  task force - which is 543 pages!
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2023, 17:45:00 »

I have a friend who lives in Dogsmerfield, near Odiham, and she has deemed the effects of the landslip to be "inconvenient" - she occasionally uses Winchfield Station. I'm wondering which alternative station for trains to London would be best for her. Guildford perhaps,though she often has reason to visit Farnham, just four miles from her house. Guildford is further, but I think that the trains from there are more frequent?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2023, 17:49:32 »

Paul Clifton has just tweeted the following, with a link to a photo of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) plans for services tomorrow. The photo is accessed by clicking on Paul's name above or by clicking here

Hook landslip: here’s what @SW_Help *hopes* to run from tomorrow, subject to today’s big work being completed. It’s 5 trains an hour past the landslip on 2 of the 4 lines. Some way from full service (especially on West of England) but a huge step up from the last 8 days.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2023, 18:26:55 »

Paul Clifton has just tweeted the following, with a link to a photo of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) plans for services tomorrow. The photo is accessed by clicking on Paul's name above or by clicking here

Hook landslip: here’s what @SW_Help *hopes* to run from tomorrow, subject to today’s big work being completed. It’s 5 trains an hour past the landslip on 2 of the 4 lines. Some way from full service (especially on West of England) but a huge step up from the last 8 days.

The "subject to today's big work being completed" sounds ominous!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: