Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:27:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of these have you used, International from your home station  (Voting closed: February 01, 2023, 07:53:53)
Separate domestic rail ticket(s) and tickets beyond - 22 (32.4%)
CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers) tickets - 13 (19.1%)
RailEurope booking - 2 (2.9%)
Interail / Eurail - 5 (7.4%)
SailRail - 8 (11.8%)
Rail-fly - 3 (4.4%)
Package holiday including rail link - 6 (8.8%)
Something else - 6 (8.8%)
I have never taken a trip out of Great Britain from my local station - 3 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever taken an international trip from your local station?  (Read 1901 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 25, 2023, 07:53:53 »

I travelled Melksham to Thun on the day after we got a decent service back in 2013 ... and I have travelled to Limerick, to Dresden, to Catania, to Nurnberg, New York and Ljubljana.  Many but not all have been good, green, overland issues but I can't go down to my local station and buy a Melksham to Milan ticket from the ticket machine, or from the staff in the station caf - nor can I simply ask for one on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website.  It's more complicated than that, to the extend that (I believe) it puts off many a traveller who would use a straightforward facility.

I have listed some of the options that are (or were) available above - which have you used?   Please add those  have overlooked as "something else" and comment to let me know what they are.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 09:33:06 »

I ticked 'Something else'.

By coach From Taunton bus station to Busáras Dublin via a change in Birmingham, then ferry from Holyhead.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 09:36:19 »

Always think it's funny* that Bath Spa had an international tickets desk - that closed at about the time that Eurostar first ran, the dream of through trains from other than London was still in the air, and the rolling stock for through sleeper trains was in production. Years later, it was difficult to find a scan of the artwork for a channel tunnel promotional tea cloth from the days of construction of the tunnel.

Mark

*Not funny.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 10:57:40 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the international tickets at Bath Spa was down to one enthusiastic member of staff there. So I was told at the time. So closed when he retired.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 11:03:15 »

Can we have a "can't remember" button? As in I can't remember whether Bristol to Waterloo (it was that long ago) was on the same ticket as the Eurostar and onward DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) trains? I suspect it was a separate ticket, though I have a feeling Waterloo to Cologne was all one ticket. In any case, I'm not sure whether you're counting journeys with a series of separate tickets? I could also ask if you're counting journeys were "home" was not the UK (United Kingdom), but that would probably just complicate matters even if my answer would be simpler!

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 11:19:02 »

Many stations used to issue european tickets back in the day, usually the ones with a Travel Centre.
 One big stumbling block came along when SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) (French Railways) barred the use of hand-written tickets, which was the standard way of issuing continental rail tickets in this country.
Some stations did carry on for a while, including us at Truro, as we had an ATB (the BIG ticket) printer installed for issuing Eurostar tickets but even we stopped in 1999. It just took too long for very little return and, like most places, we had fewer staff than before.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 11:21:14 »

...as we had an ATB (the BIG ticket) printer installed for issuing Eurostar tickets but even we stopped in 1999.

Was that the one that was known as 'Tribute'?  I remember them - great big things and very slow (compared with APTIS (All Purpose Ticket Issuing System)) and they didn't last long!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 11:31:20 »

Please add those  have overlooked as "something else" and comment to let me know what they are.

The 'Citalian Express', which ceased to run almost within living memory and might be covered by your 'CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers)' quiz item or perhaps it wouldn't be. Anyway, local station to Victoria, then Folkestone Harbour, boat, then a through train from Boulogne's Gare Maritime to various destinations in Italy.

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/citalia.htm

Mark
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 13:32:04 »

Pinhoe to Strasburg and Kandersteg to Pinhoe back in September 2022 as part of a GreatRail package (other rail holiday operators are available).

And, stretching the 'international' ever so slightly........... Pinhoe to Fort William and back several times.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 14:01:23 »

Admittedly a little tenuous for "taking an international trip from my local station" but I've started and finished one time at Redland in order to get to and back from Birmingham Airport and once to connect with the Bristol airport bus at Bristol Temple Meads.
Before living where I do now, my most accessible local station was Temple Meads an I used that to reach a number of different ferry ports.

Edit to add:. Went from Temple Meads to London and on to Brussels by Eurostar.  This was before my local Redland Station had a useable enough service to be able to start and finish from there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 14:33:15 by johnneyw » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 14:03:14 »

And, stretching the 'international' ever so slightly........... Pinhoe to Fort William and back several times.

That's a British "slightly", right?  Cheesy Grin. I suppose the clue in the question was the reference to "Great Britain" in one of the potential answers.

I could add Melksham to Swansea loads of times ... and there are those who consider you're in a different last west of St Budeaux.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 22:58:00 »

Remember "Persil Tickets" ?  A promotion from the 1980s that gave 2 for 1 travel (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) and included Amsterdam and a couple of other overseas destinations in addition to domestic travel.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 10:17:15 »

...as we had an ATB (the BIG ticket) printer installed for issuing Eurostar tickets but even we stopped in 1999.

Was that the one that was known as 'Tribute'?  I remember them - great big things and very slow (compared with APTIS (All Purpose Ticket Issuing System)) and they didn't last long!

Tribute was a ticketing issuing system to which you could attach various printers including the ATB for Eurostar & continental tickets, but it was also the standard system for various TOCs (Train Operating Company) for issuing domestic tickets.
After we ditched continental bookings and the ATB, we carried on using Tribute until it got replaced by Star. This happened after Wessex Trains disappeared as its successor, FGW (First Great Western), replaced it with Fujistu's STAR system.

** ATB = Automated Ticket Boarding or Automated Ticket & Boarding Pass.    I was never sure which!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 11:45:41 »

Several return trips either Falmouth or Penzance to Wick in days gone by (via Paddington).

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2023, 11:56:29 »

I claim Severn Tunnel Junction to Filton Abbey Wood.  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: