Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:53:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[102] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[44] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[41] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[40] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Peak to London, return when ?  (Read 1405 times)
lbraine

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2023, 16:46:33 »

Can someone be super helpful and explain or point me to information regarding off peak tickets to London. I have a meeting in London mid-morning and am trying to work out which tickets I can use.

I know that from my local station (in the Thames Valley) I can purchase an off peak return into London after 9:30am.

My meeting is due to finish at 2:30, meaning I can be back at Paddington by 3:30 safely.

But if my meeting overruns or I am delayed getting to Paddington for the return what trains can I use my return on ?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 16:51:17 »

Whose services are you using?

Isn't Elizabeth Line touch-in time for off-peak different to Paddington barrier line? and is there an evening peak for the few non-IET (Intercity Express Train) GWR (Great Western Railway) services still?

Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 20:50:29 »

You can look up time restrictions using brfares.com but it can be rather overwhelming. There's no real user-friendly alternative but if you plan various permutations of your journey on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ it will show when the off-peak ticket can be used and on which trains.
Or if you're starting at Reading or inwards of and don't have a Railcard, use contactless payg and look up fares/times at https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 21:06:06 »

You can look up time restrictions using brfares.com but it can be rather overwhelming. There's no real user-friendly alternative but if you plan various permutations of your journey on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ it will show when the off-peak ticket can be used and on which trains.
Or if you're starting at Reading or inwards of and don't have a Railcard, use contactless payg and look up fares/times at https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder.

Yes, BRFares only tells you which trains you can't get - which isn't the question.

But it seems that now the only trains valid with off-peak tickets are ones that use the relief lines from Paddington to at least Slough. The odd exceptions there were before seem to have gone now.

So, starting from timetable information, I think that means using just what's in timetable T10. The fast ones in timetable TS are all off limits. Or, based on CIS (Customer Information System) stopping patterns, if it stops at Ealing or Slough, and does not go past Didcot, it's OK - otherwise not.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 21:18:15 »

Thanks for the information. It looks like a slow journey home it is.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 15:26:53 »

After a day trip yesterday (1/3/23), when the return departure screens showed various trains barred to OP (Original Poster / topic starter), I asked the TO at Reading for a ruling, as the Internet is vague and no leaflets are available (lazy management). The clerk was of course perfectly informed and said that all surface GWR (Great Western Railway) departures from 1600 to 1915 inclusive are now barred to (London Area) OP tickets, only the Elizabeth Line being available.

The very occasional Elizabeth to Reading  (one has a long, standing, uncomfortable wait on the LL platform at Paddington) was very full, being comfortably used right up to Reading. Even with full access to the relief lines it still suffered signal checks!

How would one find this ticket validity out with booking offices closed and only an uninformative ticket machine available?

OTC
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 00:09:22 »

How would one find this ticket validity out with booking offices closed and only an uninformative ticket machine available?

With great difficulty! But the situation has hardly changed since three years ago, except then this information was in the (printed) timetables and available on a leaflet. You may remember the last pre-covid timetable T10 was the only one that had red backgrounds to code peak-time trains not valid with off-peak tickets.

There are still a few GWR (Great Western Railway) trains to Reading that are not listed in the restriction code. Some run on the relief lines so can only gain about 10 minutes on the Elizabethans. However, the last proper semi-fast (Main lines to Twyford) is also OK. These are:
16:56 to Maidenhead arr 17:40  and Reading arr 17:54
17:58 arr 18:44
18:50 arr 19:34
19:07 arr 19:35

You might prefer an Electrostar to Maidenhead and then change - it doesn't save any time, but has other advantages. And there is also ...
18:24 arr 19:14 the "Elizabethan Express"

The real sin is to not reintroduce the leaflets or printer timetables, no doubt arguing that we've all got used to on-line sources now. But this information isn't available on-line, at least not without far too much digging.

I did see that Reading now has a poster of peak times from there by destination, and very long it is too. But that's no help for return times - they aren't on it, and it's too big for your pocket!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 08:28:43 »

There is a pdf file of T10 on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website. Yet to check whether the associated trains are still pivked out in red
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 09:15:32 »

There is a pdf file of T10 on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website. Yet to check whether the associated trains are still pivked out in red

No - but whether that red flag coding was only there for December 2019, I can't be sure, as for some reason I was not so interested in timetables for a while after that ...

That was one source I was using; cross-checking with RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and both lists of banned trains for the restriction code O9 on BRFares. As I said, far too much digging to reasonably expect a passenger to do.

This is that banned list from the restriction code text:
Also not valid on the following departures from London Paddington:​​​​​​​

16:02 to Bristol Temple Meads
    16:04 to Penzance
    16:07 to Newbury
    16:18 to Swansea
    16:20 to Oxford
    16:33 to Taunton
    16:36 to Plymouth
    16:48 to Swansea
    16:50 to Didcot
    17:02 to Bristol Temple Meads
    17:04 to Penzance
    17:07 to Newbury
    17:18 to Swansea
    17:20 to Didcot Parkway
    17:32 to Taunton
    17:34 to Hereford
    17:36 to Plymouth
    17:48 to Carmarthen
    17:53 to Didcot Parkway
    18:01 to Bristol Temple Meads
    18:04 to Penzance
    18:08 to Frome
    18:18 to Swansea
    18:20 to Didcot Parkway
    18:34 to Weston Super Mare
    18:36 to Plymouth
    18:48 to Swansea
    19:02 to Bristol Temple Meads
    19:04 to Plymouth (Mondays to Thursdays only)

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 09:38:28 »

Here for all to see is a link to the pdf of the current timetable (I hope!)- file:///C:/Users/nebul/Downloads/T10%20train%20times%2011%20Dec%2022%20to%2020%20May%2023%20Updated%2001%20Dec%2022%20(2).pdf

There's nothing on there as far as I can see about any evening peak time restrictions on any of the trains listed, nor any warning that you might not be able to use an off-peak ticket on any other train to Reading on the return leg.

Most casual users would not know where to start to find this information - and frankly I would not either, beyond looking for a recent post on this forum on the subject and knowing that it's on the electronic signs at Paddington. While the electronic signs at Paddington might include the information, my guess is that the vast majority of passengers just look for the departure time, destination and whether the station they want to get to is in the list.

Now that most of the stopping trains between Paddington and Reading are Elizabeth Line - surely it's time to simplify matters and remove these restrictions from all GWR services? Heaven forbid, but it might make it easier and more attractive for the general public to use the the train!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 09:44:36 »

Here for all to see is a link to the pdf of the current timetable (I hope!)- file:///C:/Users/nebul/Downloads/T10%20train%20times%2011%20Dec%2022%20to%2020%20May%2023%20Updated%2001%20Dec%2022%20(2).pdf

Sorry folks, it appears that doesn't work.

Looks like you cannot simply download the pdf of the timetable either. Perhaps, like medieval bibles, they will print a copy and chain it in the waiting rooms at stations for us to use..........
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 10:41:02 »

Try this:

https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/plan-journey/timetables/2022/train-times-11-dec-22-to-20-may-23/t10-train-times-11-dec-22-to-20-may-23-updated-01-dec-22.pdf?la=en

(downloads the PDF immediately)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 10:43:51 »

Sorry folks, it appears that doesn't work.

Looks like you cannot simply download the pdf of the timetable either. Perhaps, like medieval bibles, they will print a copy and chain it in the waiting rooms at stations for us to use..........

Timetable PDFs are all available, and currently the link to "train times" at the foot of every page leads to them in this page (though you need to expand the list). In the past I've struggled to get to that page from the obvious links, so the "site map" link at the very bottom of each page provides a back-up.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 17:41:09 »

Timetable .pdfs are readily downloadable from the full GWR (Great Western Railway) website. Likely to be easier on a tablet or lap top.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 18:29:01 »

So how does the RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) know what is valid and what isn't? Why isn't the traveller privy to the same information?

From my experience the staff assume NO CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))'s from 1600 to 1915.

The timetable is silent about this - when of far greater relevance than many footnotes.

Is there anyone from GWR (Great Western Railway) reading this?

OTC
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: