27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 02:38:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Information screens that update: do they work for you?  (Read 419 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2023, 12:26:41 »

A bit late in the day for this, because they're everywhere. Thinking of the very widespread 'Page 1 of x' approach that scrolls though a series of departures. I'm not a fan, and especially not a fan when there's an entire bank of screens, but is it just me or, for most people, are they helpful?

Mark
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 13:54:38 »

Not a fan. Often they're at locations where even one page contains quite a long list of departures, so by the time I've worked out where in the list I need to be looking, it's moved to the other page. Some also shift between English and Welsh, so they have four pages in total. There's a bit of time needed to process if it's changed language (still readable if familiar with place names, and the platforms and times won't be any different) or actually displaying different information.

Just invest in another screen! (Easy to say when I'm not managing the budget!)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 14:01:50 »

Totally agree both.

The problem is graphically illustrated by the overhead screens on the overbridge at Reading.

What is the point of putting them where I think you are meant to glance up to see the information, if you then have to wait for it to spool through up to three screens before you can see it?  Indeed, if I recall correctly, you might have 2 or 3 screens of "next train to" with a selection of destinations listed alphabetically, and a similar number of trains in chronological order.

It would be better if there were larger screens, or three screens side by side.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 17:12:26 »

Such a good question, Mark

I have been irritated walking up to a screen, looking for a close connection, and then having to wait from screen 2, past screen 3, for screen 1 to come around.

I have also been irritated by looking at a single screen system and finding my train, though not a long way ahead, wasn't yet shown.

So neither of the two is ideal.  Perhaps there is a better solution?  Also to throw into the mix - the system getting gummed up with late running trains on one route so that other routes do't make it "above the fold".

Suggestions:

1. I rather like the TfL» (Transport for London - about) bus stops - Paddington, for the 205 to Marylebone, Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross, together with perhaps half a dozen other route.  There's just a few lines shown at a time - the next couple of buses, then a rolling display up to perhaps number 10.  It works for me - immediate departures show and I rush up; if my bus isn't due I can fell comfortable allowing it to role over seeing just when the next 205 is expected.  I mentioned this at a recent Enhance Partnership bus meeting, but the local view was that it works for regular commuter routes, but occasional travellers and the sort of people we have using buses in Wiltshire get confused by it.

2. Screens inside arriving buses and trains telling you where to find your onward connection would be magic.  Not sure this directly answers the immediate question asked by Mark, but it sure as heck prepares people ahead of time to whichever solution is chosen, problems with it are dumbed down.    Arriving into Swindon (from Melksham), an onward service display in the carriage telling me about the platform and time for London,  Didcot, Cheltenham Spa and Cardio would be great.   Arriving into Westbury, a similar board avoiding a dash to the flurry at the top of the stairs, please.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 17:20:25 »

1. I rather like the TfL» (Transport for London - about)ยป bus stops - Paddington, for the 205 to Marylebone, Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross, together with perhaps half a dozen other route.  There's just a few lines shown at a time - the next couple of buses, then a rolling display up to perhaps number 10.  It works for me - immediate departures show and I rush up; if my bus isn't due I can fell comfortable allowing it to roll over seeing just when the next 205 is expected.  I mentioned this at a recent Enhance Partnership bus meeting, but the local view was that it works for regular commuter routes, but occasional travellers and the sort of people we have using buses in Wiltshire get confused by it.
That's a really good solution.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 17:44:04 »

On a recent visit to Totnes station, I felt for the person behind the window in the ticket office. There is a single screen in the ticket hall, directly opposite the ticket office window. This just lists the next few departures, but also has a safety message on Page 2.

A customer approached the window and asked what time the next train to <wherever, I can't recall the exact destination> was due. The  person behind the window replied 'Hang on a second whilst the screen behind you scrolls' before finally answering the question when the safety message disappeared!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 19:38:21 »

2. Screens inside arriving buses and trains telling you where to find your onward connection would be magic.  Not sure this directly answers the immediate question asked by Mark, but it sure as heck prepares people ahead of time to whichever solution is chosen, problems with it are dumbed down.    Arriving into Swindon (from Melksham), an onward service display in the carriage telling me about the platform and time for London,  Didcot, Cheltenham Spa and Cardio would be great.   Arriving into Westbury, a similar board avoiding a dash to the flurry at the top of the stairs, please.

The new trains on Northern have this, even for intermediate stations where there ore no onward connections

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: