Train RunningCancelled
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 11:22:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[210] A daily picture from my recent travels
[57] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[54] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[47] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[45] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[41] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading: Work on 106-year-old bridge to disrupt traffic  (Read 9004 times)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2023, 07:34:40 »

For those travelling from Reading east bound on the A4 for the next three months:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-64583584

This is the bridge next to Palmer Park that carries the North Downs line and the Waterloo line.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 08:42:08 »

The company said off peak working would not be possible due to the need for scaffolding to support the carriageway.
It's not the usual meaning of carriageway, but it does carry carriages.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 08:59:13 »

The company said off peak working would not be possible due to the need for scaffolding to support the carriageway.
It's not the usual meaning of carriageway, but it does carry carriages.

That one looks like the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s fault. Railadvent has a direct quote:
Network Rail Southern region’s spokesman Chris Denham said: “We’re going to shot-blast the steel back to bare metal, treat any corrosion and then give it a coat of green paint, which won’t just keep the bridge looking good, but will keep the structure in good condition to carry trains well into its second century.

“Clearly London Road is an important route into Reading so we’re going to paint half the bridge at a time, keeping one lane of the road open at all times, with temporary traffic lights.

“It’s not ideal as we know this will cause some disruption, but the nature of the work and the need to keep our people safe while doing it, means we need to take this step. We’ll also make sure there’s a safe pedestrian route too.

“I’m very grateful to our neighbours in the town, who’ll be hearing and seeing us work between 7am and 6pm for the next three months, but we will get a much nicer looking bridge out of the job at the end of it.”

Temporary traffic lights will see sides of the road swapped approximately halfway through the project which will allow painting to cover both sides of the bridge.

Due to the nature of the project, the structure will be hidden by scaffolding and a sheeted covering will prevent paint and debris from escaping the working environment.

Looking at pictures of the bridge, it's actually two of them side by side. The gap between them is pretty narrow - about 20 cm by nearly 2 m deep, I reckon. So how do you shot-blast and paint the sides facing that gap? Small painters (which is presumably what the Victorians would have done, though not on that bridge)? Long-handled brushes? Fancy machines? And if it needs more preparation or repair, how do you do that?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 09:03:46 »

A google search for something direct from NR» (Network Rail - home page) came up with a picture, dated 9/2/23, but no words. Presumably something will appear soon to use the picture. I guess it's better that way round than a story with a missing link to start with.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 09:25:47 by stuving » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 11:29:23 »

I can't find it, perhaps because the powers of Google search and the likes are fading rapidly, or perhaps because it's no longer up: someone from the GWSR was blogging on their bridge repairs, including the rail over road steel span at Gretton. This showed how corrosion at the ends of the bridge - where it sat on the abutments - was addressed. In that case I think I recall the span was jacked up enough to allow weld repairs, grit-blasting and recoating.

Since steel, once unprotected has no issue with rotting away in damp inaccessible locations and I've always wondered about how this is tackled in the difficult-of-access ends of a steel bridge, let alone if the span is of a nature it cannot be raised.

Mark
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 15:40:08 »

And here is NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s version of what's going to be done (you've already seen the picture in it):
Temporary traffic lights planned for main road into Reading - until May - as Network Rail begins work improving 1917 railway bridge

A railway bridge over one of the main routes into Reading is about to get a new lease of life thanks to Network Rail engineers, who will be bringing it back to life with a new paint job.

The 106-year-old bridge over London Road in Wokingham Borough, and on the very edge of Reading Borough, carries the line between Wokingham and Reading on its way into the town. The paint has faded and worn and needs completely replacing to stop the structure from rusting.

Work will begin on Monday, 13 February, and continue right through until Tuesday, 9 May. Works will take place between 7am and 6pm each day. Off peak working is not possible in this instance due to scaffolding requiring supports on the carriageway itself. This means traffic lanes cannot be reopened at peak times.

Network Rail Southern region’s spokesman Chris Denham said: “We’re going to shotblast the steel back to bare metal, treat any corrosion and then give it a coat of green paint, which won’t just keep the bridge looking good, but will keep the structure in good condition to carry trains well into its second century.

“Clearly London Road is an important route into Reading so we’re going to paint half the bridge at a time, keeping one lane of the road open at all times, with temporary traffic lights.

“It’s not ideal as we know this will cause some disruption, but the nature of the work and the need to keep our people safe while doing it, means we need to take this step. We’ll also make sure there’s a safe pedestrian route too.

“I’m very grateful to our neighbours in the town, who’ll be hearing and seeing us work between 7am and 6pm for the next three months, but we will get a much nicer looking bridge out of the job at the end of it.”

The temporary traffic lights will swap sides of the road roughly halfway through the project, to allow painting to cover both sides of the structure. The nature of the work means the structure will be hidden by scaffolding and a sheeted covering, to stop paint and debris from escaping the worksite.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 15:53:14 »

I have just been under the bridge and had a look from the pavement.

Yes it is two bridges side by side. My uncalibrated eyeballs think it might be a foot between the flanges at the bottom of the bridge deck, and possibly three feet between the sides. In case of dispute refer to my optometrist.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 07:05:01 »

Well the paint is on one half of the bridge. I wonder how long before it is "tagged".
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 18:07:55 »

The job is now complete; scaffolding and traffic lights removed.

Panels in what I guess is Malachite Green, framework and remainder in Black.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 10:42:55 »

Had a look at this bridge yesterday.

Slightly odd underneath.  Some of the compartments have been netted over to prevent birds roosting - but many haven't.

Could this be another "Taunton" problem in the making?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: