18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 20:32:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[96] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[54] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists
[44] Where was I today, 29.04.24?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Why did / would you go to the Imber bus running day  (Voting closed: August 25, 2023, 20:18:07)
To visit Imber - 10 (17.9%)
To visit Salisbury Plain - 5 (8.9%)
To ride on old busses - 8 (14.3%)
To ride on different buses - 6 (10.7%)
To meet up with old friends - 3 (5.4%)
To make new friends - 1 (1.8%)
To take in the atmosphere - 4 (7.1%)
To take photographs - 4 (7.1%)
I'm one of the drivers / conductors / staff - 0 (0%)
To study mass transit in action - 2 (3.6%)
To tell my [grand]childred about - 0 (0%)
To have a day away from my SO - 0 (0%)
To bring my SO and family - 0 (0%)
Some other reason - 2 (3.6%)
I would NOT go to Imber on bus running day - 6 (10.7%)
I would NOT go to Imber at all - 5 (8.9%)
Total Voters: 18

Linked Events
  • Imber Bus: August 19, 2023
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Imber bus  (Read 6902 times)
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2023, 12:21:22 »

I had made tentative plans to head to Warminster for Imber yesterday but my experience with GWR (Great Western Railway) & SWR» (South Western Railway - about) trains on the previous two Saturdays rather put me off.

After yesterday's abysmal performance by GWR at Warminster there must be a lot more people sharing your view of the rail companies. TEN cancellations after 4.30 pm !!!
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2023, 19:08:50 »

Two theories I have heard circulating about why this year's event was a bit too busy:

One is that the event featured in the national daily papers;

The other is that social media may have spread the event widely.

Of the two, would social media be the harder to predict the outcome?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2023, 19:18:43 »

It's been building numbers for a few years now....the problem will be how to prevent even more (through word of mouth even if you don't look for media coverage - hello Paul @ BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)) and preferably lose a few....
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2023, 20:33:19 »

I’m sure GWR (Great Western Railway)’s woeful efforts last evening out of Warminster in both directions would have caused a few to say ‘never again’ so that might help with the numbers next year.

Today hasn’t been any better on the Cardiff-Portsmouth line.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2023, 07:09:34 »

Good to see the Londonline bus, I had heard rumours that Reading Buses would contribute.

Looks like I made a good call to go elsewhere, but there was crowding there, not quite the same scale on the Hamble ferry!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2023, 08:20:30 »

For all the overcrowding, the organisation of the Imber Bus is exceptionally well done and the volunteer team that was there show just how well it can be done.  I have little doubt that there will be a wash-up analysis with a view to learning from this year in thoughts of next year.   As I never got to Imber nor the other access points at the further side of the plain, any suggestions I might make are likely to be of limited value, but I do wonder whether a pre-purchase of tickets and a second extra starting point (23B) in Warminster High Street for those ticket holders might relieve pressure at the station, where the vehicle shunting is more challenging than perhaps desirable.  I also wonder whether prebooked incoming vehicles in the morning / back in the evening could serve other stations such as Frome, Melksham, and perhaps either Grateley or Andover.   Pewsey tempting but not sure the station area could handle the buses. Westbury tempting but too attractive to the crowds in amongst the normal operations there.  Dilton Marsh - err - no - Single door, nowhere for buses, ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2023, 08:56:53 »

I'm sure that the Warminster traders in their High Street would welcome (not) queues of Imber fanatics blocking access to pavements & shops all morning?....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2023, 09:03:14 »

I'm sure that the Warminster traders in their High Street would welcome (not) queues of Imber fanatics blocking access to pavements & shops all morning?....

Have you asked them? 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2023, 09:07:04 »

No, and neither have you?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2023, 09:17:04 »

No, and neither have you?

Agreed, but I didn't say "I'm sure", did I?

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2023, 15:28:45 »

Bit of a double edged sword probably.  When they closed the bus station in Salisbury, the bus queues were then moved to the shopping street pavements. The camera shop I use, in Endless St (opposite the old bus station), said that some of their regulars moaned about about trying to get into the(ir ?) shop - but that the shop now had an almost day long "captive audience" outside the front window.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2023, 16:27:51 »

The queue didn't get as far as the High Street. From the station, down Station Road and then into Fairfield Road. The entrance to the Lidl car park was stewarded, with small groups being allowed across when it was safe.  And then into and round the edge of the Argos car park.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2023, 16:41:06 »

....but I do wonder whether a pre-purchase of tickets and a second extra starting point (23B) in Warminster High Street for those ticket holders might relieve pressure at the station
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2023, 18:01:37 »

A bus-enthusiast friend of mine drove from Berkshire to Warminster and found the parking there to be chaotic with long queues all day, and he never got to ride on any buses, so "a complete  waste of  time". Last year he went by train and had problems with engineering works.

I wonder what was the motivation of all  those who did turn out? Was it the bus-fest (understandably, not that I'm an enthusiast)? Once one gets to Imber, there's not much to do for the average "holiday-maker" or "tourist", as envisaged in the Sun. Hopefully there were plenty of portaloos?

My first visit was c1962. (I don't think the "modern" breezeblock buildings had been built then, though the Baptist Chapel still stood.) Since then I've returned several times, usually sharing the village with a dozen or two others.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2023, 20:19:56 »

A bus-enthusiast friend of mine drove from Berkshire to Warminster and found the parking there to be chaotic with long queues all day, and he never got to ride on any buses, so "a complete  waste of  time". Last year he went by train and had problems with engineering works.

I wonder what was the motivation of all  those who did turn out? Was it the bus-fest (understandably, not that I'm an enthusiast)? Once one gets to Imber, there's not much to do for the average "holiday-maker" or "tourist", as envisaged in the Sun. Hopefully there were plenty of portaloos?

Good questions - poll added for those who went AND those who did not!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: