Train RunningCancelled
15:17 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 17:01:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you are travelling alone, what seat do you choose?  (Voting closed: February 22, 2023, 22:54:45)
Always sit at a table if I can - 7 (15.2%)
Sit at a table unless there is a family to join already - 2 (4.3%)
Sit at a table unless it's likely a family will join - 1 (2.2%)
Only sit at a table if I am likely to be alone - 11 (23.9%)
Don't mind - whatever takes my fancy - 8 (17.4%)
It depends on what I want to do on the journey - 7 (15.2%)
Never sit at a table unless I have to - 10 (21.7%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seating on a train - which do you prefer.  (Read 2744 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 14:57:33 »

It depends on the train. On an IET (Intercity Express Train) I’ll generally try for a non-table window seat. But if it’s a Voyager and I’ve got a laptop, it’s a table or nothing - where “nothing” might mean sitting on the floor in the vestibule. One of the reasons I try and avoid CrossCountry wherever possible!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 15:01:29 »

If we're in rose-tinted-spectacles mode, give me the seat behind the driver where you could see through the glass out the front of the train, and learn the route and how to drive a train too.  

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 15:07:54 »

For GWR (Great Western Railway)

On an HST (High Speed Train):
In 1st It could be any seat with a table: a single (24 - buffet car only), double (1 and 6) or a four seat.
In Standard coach A (73) first choice otherwise it was pretty much a free for all.

On a 165/Thames Turbo*:
In 1st any seat as they were equally comfortable but preferred rear facing seats.
In Standard any seat so long as someone wasn’t sitting next to me.

On a class 8xx with my cushion:

In 1st it’s a large table or if very busy seat (59) in the kitchen carriage which has a larger table from memory.
In Standard again a table is preferred but if busy anything with a window will do.

*I’d still rather have the 1st seats out of a Thames Turbo than the seats on a class 8xx.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 15:35:57 by 1st fan » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 17:19:54 »

Back in 1978, myself and a university friend joined a weekend excursion from Euston to Inverness - travelling up on the Friday night and back in the early hours of Sunday. We were allocated seats in a Mark 1 compartment of 8. Ever tried sleeping in a full compartment? Not a hope!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 21:37:07 »

I prefer an airline seat. My legs have more space. Sitting opposite other people, I often have to fold my legs underneath my seat.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2023, 14:39:48 »

I find airlines are best for the leg space. Not so much for the legs themselves as for space to place a bag with them. Doesn't work too well on a 153 though. I wonder if TfW's Active Travel upgrade will do anything about that!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 19:15:35 »

Having been negative in my previous post in this thread, here are my criteria on contemporary trains (assuming travelling standard class)-

1 - Any zone or coach that is 4 not 5-across seating where there is a choice.
2 - A window seat, preferably forward facing and by a window that aligns with the seat rather than a pillar.
3 - If travelling with someone else - in a group of 4 facing seats, otherwise "aircraft style" fine.
4 - It eating, a table (which can be a folding one if travelling aircraft style - those on the last refurbishment of GW (Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train), GW Electrostars and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyagers are all fine) - also useful if working, BUT as I often was reviewing documents that needed to be treated as confidential before I retired, a table between a group of 4 was no help. I think I mastered the art of working discreetly on documents on a train, but was sometimes mildly horrified at fellow passengers who would nonchalantly open their laptops on tables allowing any nosey fellow passenger to peek at what they were reading or typing.
5 - If travelling on a Turbo with a down-graded first-class zone at one end - use that area. The first class seats on Turbos were the opposite end of the comfort spectrum to the standard class ones. In the absence of such seats, then the groups of 4 around tables in class 166s used to be next best. It was a shame that most of the tables were removed and much of these were sacrificed when disabled loos and wheelchair areas (with no fold up seats for use when not used for wheelchairs - a serious omission as well) were provided. Also on Turbos - avoid the area around the loos.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2023, 21:43:48 »

All my journeys in the past three years have been very local and I have aimed for a seat away from other people because of Covid. If going into Reading from Tilehurst or vice versa I don't mind standing, though off peak the trains are all but empty.

When I did long-distance journeys, I would aim for a seat with a good view out of the window, not that I would peer out of it all the time. From 1999 to 2005 I travelled to Torquay once a month or so by several routes (and even welcomed the odd diversion such as when I went via Warminster) and was happy to see again some of the scenery from my cycling days.

I try to avoid facing non-table seats because of my dislike of passengers putting their feet up on them.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2023, 15:38:21 »

I find airlines are best for the leg space. Not so much for the legs themselves as for space to place a bag with them. Doesn't work too well on a 153 though. I wonder if TfW's Active Travel upgrade will do anything about that!

From Facebook as the caption to a picture:

Lots of passengers with their luggage boarding the 1649 Cardiff-Manchester train on 23rd February 2023. The journey should have been provided with a Class 67 loco hauled train with Mk4 carriages but had to travel on a two car train consisting of diesel railcars 153926+153369 designed for short trips on lightly loaded rural lines. The guard dreaded the prospect of having one of them on Saturday (Wales v England). At least this train completed its 4 hour plus journey pretty well on time, in contrast to a couple of other journeys earlier in the week which were terminated at Crewe or Wilmslow! TfW are getting smart new Class 197 DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s soon (assembled at the CAF factory in Newport in fact) - none too soon.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: